Scalextric/ Slotcar tracks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rickon

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

Hi all. Im looking for advice and recommendations on scalextric sets for a 10 year old beginner. Where to buy, pros and cons etc. can anyone help?

TIA

#2 dadwasathome

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

We were lucky enough to have a reasonably local slot car shop. We ended up going with a Carrera digital kit, but it starts getting expensive.

If buying a set, compatibility and expansion opportunities are things to think about. Also whether you have space to set a track up and leave it - it can be painful putting up and taking down, as well as storing the large box when it is down.

This is the kit and the store we bought it from. It was great to talk through the range of options. http://www.slotshop....32-gt-force-set

Edited by dadwasathome, 23 November 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#3 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

I really like the look of the Hot Wheels AI race car set currently on sale at Aldi for $99. Heaps of track layouts, virtual hazards, got to pit stop to collect more hazards, cars can be used off track like remote control cars. However the track pieces are large, takr a bit to get used to putting together and are thin card like plastic. However good reviews online. Just a bit too old for my 4 year old. I don't reccomend the Hot Wheels orange coloured slot car set with wired controllers. Boring as!

https://play.hotwhee...m/en-au/ai.html

#4 rickon

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Thank you both. Wow DWAH great set up. They really can get exy cant they? There are some serious enthusiasts out there. I really wouldnt want to spend more than about $200 as we are newbies to it all. I also think I might stick with Aussie sets. Maybe Bathurst or I saw a Holden one. I dont know....

Kiwi the Hotwheels set looks intriguing. I wish I could see it in action without all the special FX and fanfare. Still confused...

Ok, if I follow my budget and go with scalextric I guess my choices are reduced to Super Cars or Street Racers.

Cheers!

Edited by rickon, 24 November 2017 - 05:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.