10 for 10 decluttering challenge

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wannabe30

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

I’ve decided to challenge myself to declutter 10 items a day for 10 days, so my house will contain 100 fewer items in preparation for the inevitable Christmas arrival of new “stuff”.

I find that posting here keeps me on target, so I’ll post my daily decluttering progress below.

Join in at any time!!

#2 wannabe30

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

I’m off to a good start for Sunday:

Broken lamp
Broken storage box
Kids bucket
Old playmat
Bundle of kids artwork
Old activity book
Tupperware with missing lid
Toy necklace

#3 Hands Up

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

I’m in! I’ve been slowly decluttering for months now...

I’ll count yesterday as day one as I packaged up good condition toys no longer played with and dropped off to a local charity group. About 20 separate items.

Today I steralised old bottles (and bought new teats) andvpackaged up ready to drop to the same charity - 8 items and threw out some old plastic bowls with cracks in them - 4 items

#4 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

I did all the kids shoes.
2 bags for the bin, 2 bags to be washed and donated and the next years worth of new shoes for them all into their shoe/sock boxes
Our 3rd child has around 30 pairs of shoes so number 4 will definitely get handmedowns from that!

#5 ljbellus

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

I have finished sorting out my wardrobe.  It took 4 days and I donated 8 large bags of clothes to charity.  That included 8 pairs of shoes.

My walk in wardrobe looks amazing, no more floordrobe.  My kids wardrobes are next.

#6 Hands Up

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

So I slacked off for a few days due to a stomach bug doing the rounds of our family, but today with a recovering DS2 watching tv most of the morning I cleaned out the hall cupboard and got rid of 12 items (old towels etc) and also got rid of over 50 items from the kitchen, plus cleaned out the drawers, the cutlery dividers etc. Items were mainly old split plastic containers, cutlery past it's prime, mismatching servers etc. My drawers look great! Yes, I'm a nerd.

So back on top of the 10 for 10.

Tomorrow I'm tackling the drawers underneath our bed. I don't even know what is in there.......

#7 wannabe30

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

OMG 50 items well done Hands Up!!

I’ve been a bit erratic, but have tried to do an area at a time and push myself to get 10 items. I haven’t managed every day this week, though.

Day 2
Cleared out the pantry and donated 10 tins and packets to the local food bank.

Day 3
10 items of clothes from between mine and the kids’ wardrobes.

Day 4
10 old colouring books / activity books

Day 5
10 pieces of kiddy “art”

#8 wannabe30

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

Day 6
10 (plus many more) random small toys and other bits and pieces that the kids have been playing with (empty plastic containers, paper plates, etc).

#9 Hands Up

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

I’ve also been a bit erratic but over the last few days I’ve thrown out a dozen toys, a heap of broken pegs, boxed up
clothes for charity and quietly removed a few trinkets from the house that DH hasn’t noticed (he is a slight hoarder).

At some point I really have to tackle the toys properly.

#10 ljbellus

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:41 PM

I have been on a roll.  I haven't posted but each day losing at least 10 items.  I have had to throw out a few items of my kids clothing as they were not in any condition to donate.  Also managed 1 large bag of clothes for charity.  I obviously clear out their wardrobes more often than I do my own.  In my wardrobe I found 20 maternity pieces of clothing and I haven't been pregnant for 10 years!

I also cleared out my tupperware drawers and now I can actually close them without cursing and rearranging/shoving things around.  Hopefully I can keep them that way.

My husband is a massive hoarder, so I might have to sneakily get into his wardrobe.  Everything I have suggested that he doesn't need has been a "No, I might need that one day!"  But his wardrobe is bursting and it's hard to close the door.  He wouldn't have thrown anything out in 10+ years (like me).

Tomorrow I plan to tackle the linen press.  Wish me luck!

#11 ljbellus

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

From the linen press

3 round tablecloths - haven't had a round table in years.
3 double bed fitted sheets - no one has a double bed.
2 old blankets, 6 old towels and a double bed comforter off to the dog shelter.
3 kids quilt covers and pillow cases - almost new, but my kids are too old for the babyish patterns, so they are off to my younger niece.

The linen press looks so much better and is more functional.  I can't believe I didn't do this before.

How is everyone else going?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.