How's your minimalism going?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IamtheMumma

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

I started decluttering early last year and have tried my best to maintain keeping my things to a minimum. For the most part, I love not having to clean up lots of stuff and the house doesn't look too cluttered. There is a bit of clutter because I don't own a book shelf, so they sit on a desk.

I have very little in the way of kitchen cooking things. I have missed my corningware. A oven tray doesn't cut it when cooking a pasta and sauce dish. I have 2 oven trays. I was forced to buy a 12 muffin tray to make lunches for DS. Buying muffins was unhealthy and expensive.

The one area I've really noticed an issue...is because I'm washing clothes more frequently, they're wearing out faster. One of DS's PJs is looking very pathetic but still fully functional. Two of my t-shirts have lost their "bulk" and now coloured/patterned bras show through the fabric.

The pantry area has built up a bit. I'm making a concentrated effort to use the pantry stores.

#2 little lion

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

Mine is a work in progress. Realistically for me it probably always will be. Recently I’ve tackled clothes, toys and have started kitchen.

#3 chicken_bits

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

I've been on the bandwagon for nearly 3 years now. I've done several culls and am currently on my most extreme because we're downsizing to a 2 bd apartment at the end of the month.

It's been a game changer for me and I love it. I think the point of minimalism isn't about having no/minimal stuff. It's about being intentional in what you have in your house and only having what you need/love. So, OP, if you need more than one baking tray, or a muffin tin, or more clothes... that's ok!

#4 Dianalynch

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

I noticed how quickly clothes wear out too. I have two pairs of jeans I wear nearly every day. Good quality. They're nearly 12 months old now, I might get another 4-6 months out of them if we have enough hot weather so that I'm wearing one of my two pairs of shorts more often!

I do need to replace a couple of t shirts from last summer. I wore them all the time.

I am buying far fewer clothes though, even though they wear out quickly. I'm also enjoying the mental freedom of wearing the same things all the time, it's one less decision.

#5 Hollycoddle

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

I'm pretty good overall (a chucker, not a hoarder). I manage to maintain by having a place for everything, either using/storing/tossing things as they come into the house, and regularly tackling small decluttering jobs eg this week the toy cupboard (as things do build up no matter how much of a chucker you are).

#6 amaza

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

Have you all heard of the book by Marie Kondo? The Magic Art of Tidying?

It's amazing. I got it in September this year and my whole house is clutter free (I am on mat leave at the moment so do have some extra time). It's a game changer and I highly recommend it.

#7 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:03 AM

we have been on this journey for around a year.

slowly slowly but I have until May when im back at work to finish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.