Due in August 2018 chat #1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
131 replies to this topic

#26 Tina1708

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

EXU- I would love a big family! I grew up with one older sister and we didn’t get along, and we had no extended family around, so days like Christmas were pretty depressing. Im not sure we’ll have more than two kids (although I’d like to push for three!)

As for buying things, no, nothing until our dating scan confirms the pregnancy. And even then, we’ll prob wait til we have the NIPT test and find out if it’s a girl or boy. We have a 7 month old boy with far too much stuff, so if it’s another boy, he probably won’t need much!!

#27 Demera

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

I just worked out that they'll actually be 16 months apart, not 17, all going well.  

We're very cautious and private, so we don't tell anyone until it can't be hidden any longer, which was at 17 weeks for my daughter.  My first miscarriages no one knew about, although I felt free to talk about it once I had announced a healthy pregnancy.

So far only my husband and my MCHN know, because I was talking to her about suddenly stopping breastfeeding and realising once I found out I was pregnant that it occurred at the time I would have fallen pregnant. She said that was no coincidence.

Likewise, we didn't buy anything for my first baby until I was well past 30 weeks, and even then I felt uncomfortable in case something went wrong.

I've had the light cramping at the beginning of each pregnancy.... a blighted ovum, a molar pregnancy, a healthy pregnancy, and this current one.  It doesn't really indicate anything good or bad, just that a lot of stuff is going on down there!! I found bleeding to be an indicator something was wrong, but many people have bleeding and still have a healthy baby.

#28 BellBaby

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

We have told my parents/brother, and I told my two best friends (all of these people are in Canada). I'll probably tell my in-laws when I struggle with sickness so they can help with my daughter as they only live 200m away on the same farm. Maybe at Christmas. We have a big family party on Saturday though and I'm not sure how to say no to wine that is believable (especially since we can walk home).

As for buying things, I had a neighbour giving away a bunch of boys stuff 2 days ago so I grabbed it (hoping for gender neutral stuff) but am secretly keeping some of it in case of a boy.

I also have the light cramping. It's totally tolerable though. The queasiness seems to be increasing slightly but maybe it's also related to how hot it has been!

#29 Argentum

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

Hi Everyone,

28, first pregnancy here at 4 weeks 2 days. Due August 14th.

Found out 4 days ago I was pregnant. Did one test I had, then nipped out to shops to get another to make sure before I told DH.
Been to the doc for blood test, should have that tomorrow to confirm.
Trying to research obstetricians at my chosen hospital but it is hard not having a clue. I didn't know I needed to be thinking about this so soon.

Doc said to wait till 8weeks for dating scan, which due to christmas and new years means Ill try to get in at the very start of Jan.

Any advice on things I should be organising/ thinking about would be very much appreciated as I am totally new to this whole experience.

Seems very much unreal atm- except the slightly tender breasts. Those I'm aware of. I think at this point I'm just wanting the blood test result to confirm it for me.

Looking forward to this journey together :)

#30 Tina1708

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

Congrats and welcome Argentum :) you have a similar due date to me.

I’m a bit clueless with OBs too. I went public and did the midwife program last time around, but I’ve decided to go private and have my own OB this time. I’m not sure who I’ll choose yet, but I did some searching of some local mums groups I’m part of on Facebook and there are quite a few posts recommending OBs. You might be able to do something similar?

I don’t think you need to be thinking about much just yet, just try and relax, as I remember how stressful these initial first weeks can be. Dating scan after 8 weeks will be exciting, as you’ll be able to see a bit more than you would before, say, 7 weeks. I’m hoping to get in before 7 weeks though, just to put my mind at ease (due to my history).

#31 Demera

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

I'm hoping I'll be able to get in for my dating scan before Christmas, at 8 weeks.  I'll get a referral tomorrow, I hope!  I'll be seeing a locum as there's a 8-10 week wait to see my GP and I have an appointment already booked with him for mid January but that was before I knew I was pregnant.

Unfortunately I was sitting in his room with what I thought was period pain, told him I was expecting my period that day, and was there for a script for Chlomid!  If I'd done a test before I went that morning I would have already had my blood results and booked for the scan!  Oh well.  I'd done a test at day 25 which was negative, so I was expecting my period.  A few hours later I was sitting at my desk thinking "this doesn't feel like period pain, it feels *exactly* like pregnancy cramps!" so instead of heading to the chemist with the script I bought a pregnancy test instead.  :-)

#32 PumpkinSpice

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:34 AM

View PostTina1708, on 07 December 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

EXU- I would love a big family! I grew up with one older sister and we didn’t get along, and we had no extended family around, so days like Christmas were pretty depressing. Im not sure we’ll have more than two kids (although I’d like to push for three!)

As for buying things, no, nothing until our dating scan confirms the pregnancy. And even then, we’ll prob wait til we have the NIPT test and find out if it’s a girl or boy. We have a 7 month old boy with far too much stuff, so if it’s another boy, he probably won’t need much!!

Is the NIPT test covered by Medicare or PHI? How much does it cost?

#33 8SweetCheeks8

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

Hi everyone! I'm currently pregnant with my second, due August 12 and currently have a 22 month old (which is proving to be loads of fun already 😲)

Feeling pretty good, like everyone else I'm feeling some slight AF type cramps and pretty fatigued later in the day! Other than that, I wouldn't really know I'm pregnant - still early days of course! Can't wait to get that * glow * and fabulous hair later down the track 😉

My first pregnancy was fairly angst ridden, I was basically told it wasn't viable from the beginning (both pregnancies IVF) due to slow rising HcG and bleeding - my husband and I didn't actually hear the words congratulations until 20 weeks! This time round, my HcG levels are nice and high and not a bleed in sight - so I hope this is a sign that things will be different this time...

Like others, a scan at 7 weeks would be Christmas week so I'm booked in for 8 weeks. It makes me a bit nervous to wait that extra week but I'll just have to keep my mind off it 😌

#34 travel2018

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

I had my first appointment with a midwife yesterday. I'd planned to meet with a few to get a feel for who i liked but i instantly loved her. She had a lovely calming manner and i felt totally relaxed with her right away - especially important since this is my first time at this! So i now officially have a midwife too.

I have a referral for a 12 week scan which will be around 25th January and another round of bloods the week before that. Then back to the midwife on 31st Jan again.

The back ache was really quite bothersome yesterday but its not so bad today.

#35 BellBaby

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

Welcome SweetCheeks and congratulations!

I had a first midwife appointment today and loved her so much too so I signed up right away (2 friends have used her before so had great references!). Dating Scan is 22 Dec, see midwife again in a month, and she said to book the 12w scan on the day of my dating scan as they book up quickly.

Anyone else finding themselves with insomnia? early wake-ups? Or not feeling like you've had enough deep sleep? I feel like I spend so much time just 'dozing'. ugh!

Edited by BellBaby, 08 December 2017 - 11:30 AM.

#36 travel2018

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

A big yes to the insomnia! I have been walking like clockwork at 4 am every morning this week and then stay wide away until i have to get up for work at 6.30am.

#37 Tina1708

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

PumpkinSpice- no, the NIPT isn’t covered. It’s about $450 from memory so pretty expensive unfortunately.

BellBaby- Yes to insomnia! It’s so frustrating. My 7 month old wakes me up at least once a night and it takes me so long to fall back asleep!

#38 8SweetCheeks8

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

Thanks BellBaby! I don't remember the last time I had a night of unbroken sleep - in the past couple of months our dear darling toddler has gone from a perfect sleeper to waking several times a night 😫 Really hoping this is just a phase. I miss the luxury of my first pregnancy, when I had so much sleep and rest and nobody would have ever allowed me to carry 12.5kg (of toddler) around!!

#39 PumpkinSpice

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:16 PM

View PostTina1708, on 08 December 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

PumpkinSpice- no, the NIPT isn’t covered. It’s about $450 from memory so pretty expensive unfortunately.

BellBaby- Yes to insomnia! It’s so frustrating. My 7 month old wakes me up at least once a night and it takes me so long to fall back asleep!

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I am having the insomnia too!!! Thought this only came on later in pregnancy...

Hey, does anyone recommend the book “what to expect when you’re expecting” for first time mums? Must-read or so-so..?

#40 8SweetCheeks8

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Hi PumpkinSpice - WTEWYE is okay, but I found most of the stuff in it I had already read online! The app is pretty good, not as detailed as the book but has week by week videos. If you're a book person, it's worth getting - but if you always seem to have your phone in your hand (🙋🏼) then you won't be missing out on much!

#41 Tina1708

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

Baby Love is meant to be better than WTEWYE. I own them both but never read them 🙊

#42 KellyD89

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

Hi thought I'd tentively introduce myself. I am supposedly due on the 19/8 - 2 days after my birthday and 11 days before my 15 mo daughters. All going well, August is going to be a crazy month in our house😳😂

#43 BellBaby

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Welcome KellyD!

Sorry to hear we are all struggling with sleep, but also glad it's hopefully pregnancy related and not just me!

As for books...with my first I read like every possible book...can't remember what were the good ones ('Up the Duff' is hilarious and so informative! Definitely recommend it!). I do remember also finding lots of simple, easy read books for Dads which I casually left beside the toilet for hubby to read without feeling my pressure to learn. This proved useful.

I got all of mine from the library so I could pick and choose a bit better depending on what stage I was at. Plus, I got on the wait lists so they trickled in at different times so I always had something to read! I was a bit of a major planner/researcher...not so much this time around haha.

#44 Argentum

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

SweetCheeks & KellyD Welcome. Wishing you all the best for your pregnancies.

Got my bloods back today. HCG level 1700 so nurse said 2-3 weeks past conception (timeline as expected as blood was taken at 16dpo) :yes:
Pleased to have the blood result back so I know this is real. Being my first pregnancy, I was feeling a bit hesitant with only a ‘pee on a stick’ result to go by.

Booked in my first ultrasound for 7.5weeks

Sorry to hear some of you have insomnia. I honestly hadn’t linked this to being pregnant as I’m a morning owl anyway but I’ve been getting up even earlier than usual….2.30-3am this week.

Edited by Argentum, 08 December 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#45 Mindful

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

Yes for insomnia here too! Constantly feeling like I haven't slept enough even though I'm trying. DH can easily sleep 12 hours which I'm feeling really jealous of right now.

I just called and made a booking to scan on Christmas Eve. What an amazing Chrissy pressie we are receiving this year ladies!

We have told both our parents now and I also mentioned it to a work colleague just in case anything was to happen at work..

Enjoying hearing your stories. This is our first so interesting hearing about the age gaps you've had between children and your experiences. It's got me looking ahead...

#46 OneDayDreamer

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

I liked the Kaz Cooke book- It was way more relatable for me :)

Welcome to everyone!

#47 PumpkinSpice

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

Anyone else on here a first time mum in Sydney?

#48 Demera

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

I suffer one night of insomnia then pregnancy gives me the best sleep ever.   I'm normally a light sleeper but for the relaxin hormones are bliss for me.  I have been having vivid dreams though... last night was one about a door to a boys room with the name Aspen on the door, and leadlight Mickey Mouse!  But the child was born in 1906... don't know what that means!

Sleeping heavily will be hard as I have a 8 month old who still feeds twice every night. Last night I couldn't lift my head off the pillow and insisted my husband feed her for the first feed.  By the second one I'd had enough sleep to manage.  I've only just weaned her from boob to bottle a few weeks ago so at least I can get my husband to take over now.

My scan is booked for 18th December, and bloods were done yesterday but I won't get the results until Monday evening.  Fingers crossed all is well.  I don't feel the same as I did with my little girl, so I'm not super confident. Maybe this baby will be kind to me and not make me suffer with morning sickness. So far, apart from a litttle wave of nausea now and then, I'm not sick at all.

#49 Tina1708

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:04 PM

PumpkinSpice- I’ll be a second time mum but I am in Sydney ;) (and technically as my son in 7 months old, I still feel like a first time mum!)

Louise- how much harder are the night wake ups now! Omg. My son was a once a night feeder but we moved him to the cot two days ago and our nights have gone to crap. So many wake ups and I’m exhausted!!

#50 OneDayDreamer

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

Had dating scan this morning and looks like I'm earlier that we thought, so back to doc on wednesday for new referral. Could see the sac and yolk sac but nothing else yet. Worried but keeping fingers crossed that the dates are super off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.