Corporate Dressing

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 Tokra

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:34 PM

*10 years working in various sized firms from large top tier to small 4 man team"

View PostTinkle Splashes, on 08 December 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

The image consultant idea seems so bizarre to me. It won’t result in an enforceable dress code, won’t have any impact on future staff, may be considered condescending and offensive by existing staff.

In my firm we have meetings about developments in the law,  not about our clothes. We have a policy about our clothes, as do most law firms.

I agree with this. I don't actually think that is appropriate in this situation.

View PostFroyo, on 09 December 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

I'm seeing the same thing in education. Yesterday I interviewed a candidate to replace me who wore a t-shirt. Not a dressy t-shirt, a grey marle t-shirt.
It didn't affect the outcome, but it was definitely inappropriate.
Oh wow... so inappropriate and unacceptable!

View PostMands09, on 09 December 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

Put a policy out and then follow up at various points when you are having one on one regular performance type catch ups.

An image consultant is a waste of time. The people who don't need to sit through it will be offended by it. The people who do need to take on board what they are saying won't or will think yep I'm basically doing that yay me.

Write up a policy and distribute it to all staff. You can word it along the lines of taking into consideration feedback from some of our clients the partners have undertaken a review of the way our business operates so we are making a few updates to existing policies and formalising previously informal policies.

Very much agree with this.

View PostElizabethandfriend, on 11 December 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

I think a well worded email, together with photos showing the kind of look you feel is appropriate would be the right place to start.  Sending it towards the end of the year, making a point that in 2018 the firm's corporate image is going to be a priority, might spark some shopping in the sales.  (especially if you pay Xmas bonuses!)

All of this except for pictures. I don't think that is appopriate.

View PostMarciaB, on 11 December 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

I think you just have to be blunt with them along the lines of

"the dress standard of a few individuals across the office has been slipping over the past few months.  We don't want to single anyone out, however, please be mindful that we work in a professional environment and our clients expect us to dress accordingly.  We really don't want to go to the lengths of implementing a dress code or formal rules, so we trust you will all take note and make amendments where necessary.  As a general guideline we expect all staff to dress in business attire every day.  If you have any questions or need any assistance in this regard, please see me".

I am sure you can word it better - but along the lines of - shape up and lift your game otherwise we will start enforcing some rules around here.

I wouldn't bother with pictures of appropriate dress - these are smart kids - they know what they need to do.

This is really spot on actually.

#77 Ellie bean

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:32 PM

Edited by Ellie bean, 26 October 2018 - 12:00 AM.

#78 Mollyksy

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:12 AM

I know it's been almost a year since the OP but if you are around OP, what happened?? I remember this thread and want an update!

#79 Tokra

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 25 October 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

Yep, about 10 months!

Oh shoot, now this comment makes sense lol.

I didn't even check the dates as it came up in the 'we are discussing' section haha. Ooops!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.