Plus size corporate dressing (spin off)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 teaspoon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

As a spin off from the recent thread, I desperately need some inspiration.

I have (3!) meetings tomorrow for potential work and feel I never 'fit' the part.

I have a couple of Leona wrap dresses that can be teamed with blazers (28 degrees forecast in Sydney tomorrow - ugh!) but they are really brightly coloured.

Am I better off wearing a grey tunic dress with a blazer rather than the bright colours?

If my shoes have a peep toe, is that ok in the heat - or is a closed court shoe better?   are wedges ok or is a defined heel better?

ugh

#2 teaspoon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image

#3 teaspoon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

here's one of the dresses. I'll use a leather handbag, hair up and have a jacket

#4 wallofdodo

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

Is that you? You look fantastic. I am normally a black/blue/grey person, and would suggest that, but I think you look really good, and pulled together. I think you will stand out in that outfit, but not in a glaring way.

#5 rosie28

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

I think it depends on the company. For a law firm for example, I’d go with closed shoes, grey tunic dress and a blazer. Once they’ve hired you bring on the colour (please!) but you don’t know what the person interviewing you thinks so safer to go conservative.

For a more relaxed environment then perhaps a bright dress, still the blazer and closed shoes.

Edited by rosie28, 10 December 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#6 unicycle

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

Do you have some jewellery that goes perfectly with this outfit? Less casual shoes?

In my industry, that outfit teemed with good accessories and a confident manner would be absolutely fine.

ps you look great

#7 teaspoon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

View Postrosie28, on 10 December 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

you don’t know what the person interviewing you thinks so safer to go conservative.

It is safer. I think I need to invest in some plain pieces

View Postunicycle, on 10 December 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

Do you have some jewellery that goes perfectly with this outfit?

I'm not really a jewellery person. I sometimes buy it but never actually wear it :wacko:

#8 teaspoon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

I've got this pink jacket but I feel like a big box in it

Posted Image

#9 eve13

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

Plus size here, and I have and wear a lot of Leona wrap dresses :)  (I am an academic, so variety in dress is fine.. I normally one fo the most colourful thou).

I think that looks great, and would go with what makes you feel confident. you could tone down the top dress by wearing a black cardigan or sheer style top, but honestly I think go for it.. it’s professional, it’s not jeans, it’s attractive and vibrant and warm.. all good characteristics

#10 just someone

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

Edited by just someone, 14 January 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#11 gracie1978

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

I think the jacket and the dress look great
The shoes are fine as well

I think you should wear a jacket to an interview, but no need to be conservative about colours.

#12 teaspoon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

View Postjust someone, on 10 December 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Is it a legal job?

Not legal. More business consultant-y kind of thing.

Actually I have a couple of black and white dresses I could team with a jacket.

Off to try on a few more things. Thanks everyone!

#13 AmicusCuriae

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

I think both are great, I love a Leona dress and fluctuate around a size 16, probably would go closed toed shoes though.  Am a lawyer and wouldn’t bat an eyelid at someone wearing either outfit.

#14 ~J_WTF~

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

I like the dress and the jacket teaspoon, its definitely does not make you look like a box :)

The jacket might be nice with a black or single colour dress.

Go withe something you feel great and confident in and that will come through.

Good Luck!

View Postjust someone, on 10 December 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

That jacket looks absolutely fine - you definitely don't look like a big box! I think it looks very stylish on you.

In regards to shoes, I think closed in are better for job interviews. And not wedges - they're a bit casual, IMV.

Is it a legal job? I would think Leona is fine for most areas - except maybe corporate law, as they seem hard to please, lol.

Good luck with your interview. You look very nice and professional. I do like the second outfit a bit better for a job interview (just because some people seem a bit adverse to too much colour. Personally, I actually prefer the first).

I cant wear heels. So its either low wedges or ballet flats, are they frowned upon?

#15 SplashingRainbows

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

If a woman is hiring you, I think Leona will be fine. A closed toe shoe would look more professional IMO. I’d be impressed you chose something that suited you, from a well cut brand, that was accessorized appropriately.

If a man is hiring you, and he is of a certain age (white, 55+) the grim reality is they *may* be put off by the colour in the Leona dress. Not all men of course. But sadly I’ve heard some horrible comments about women dressed too vibrantly.

That said, you probably don’t want to work for horrible people like that so if it’s a deal breaker for them, you’re probably better off knowing right now.

I don’t think you look like a box in the black/pink combo but I do think the Leona dress is more flattering. I’d go with what you feel most confident in.

#16 Mollyksy

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

Op you look fabulous. Leona dress plus closed in shoes. And a jacket.

Cant remember who said they can only wear flats or wedges. Me too but I have a fab pair of comfort brand shoes (hush puppie I think) with a thicker shorter heel that looks like heels and dont cripple me. My go to interview shoe!

As a side note. I wore wrap dresses prior to my tummy being torn to shreds while pregnant and now they look like I am nearly busting pregnant rather than flattering drape. What do we think of black slacks, a blouse and a non matching  (so not a suit) but same colour jacket? Is that ok for interview.

In my pre pregnancy days I also had gorgeous flattering dresses from city chic (looked like a pencil skirt with a top tucked in and really flattering) and basque woman (myer). If anyone needs ideas!

Good luck OP for the interview.

#17 teaspoon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 10 December 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

If a woman is hiring you, I think Leona will be fine.

Tomorrow my meetings are younger woman (recruiter), man, woman my age (client).

I really didn't think this through, did I?

It's funny. All my life I've been employed long term in quite senior roles in large corporations or as a consultant - but I usually dress to suit me: my figure, my style, my colours.

Now I'm trying to get employed by someone else as a 50 year old and I realise I actually need to dress for others!

#18 SplashingRainbows

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

Dress to suit you. Always.

2/3 is a good hit rate. In my industry it would be 0/3 so you’re on a good start.

I also think ‘consulting’ roles can get a way with a little more than say a lawyer or accountant, so you have that in your favour.

Can you jump on the linked in or website profiles of the staff for the firms you’re talking to and see what the people are dressed in? Usually the about us or our staff pages would have photos.

#19 teaspoon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 10 December 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

Can you jump on the linked in or website profiles of the staff for the firms you’re talking to and see what the people are dressed in? Usually the about us or our staff pages would have photos.

OK, did a photo audit. Bit of a mixed bag; women mainly in neutral colours - so that's a sign.

Plus all the women look very slender. So there's that.

Edited by teaspoon, 10 December 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#20 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

Any chance the website is using stock photos, OP?

#21 teaspoon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

Not stock images; actual team profiles  :)

#22 Daffy2016

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

Love the jacket! With the black dress it looks great. Pair with ballet flats and a black bag and you’re fine. FWIW, I found sydney a lot more casual in dress generally so I think that would be perfect.

#23 anontime

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:14 PM

You look amazing in both... if they're 'meetings' rather than interviews, you could get by in both - my male boss would compliment the coloured dress, from experience. But for an 'interview' I'd probably wear the jacket.

#24 ABabyPlease

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

Hey OP, I hope the meetings went well.

Can someone please tell me what a Leona wrap dress is? I think I need one!

#25 limakilo

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

View PostABabyPlease, on 11 January 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Hey OP, I hope the meetings went well.

Can someone please tell me what a Leona wrap dress is? I think I need one!
http://www.leonaedmi...089-fp-frf.html
Like that. I am a 16 - 20 depending on brand, and I bought a 16 from Myer recently, down from a few hundred to $49.
I bought some shapeware from Big W and was pretty happy with how I looked. I hate wearing dresses, but the occasion called for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.