Glitter in the garden - a community service announcement!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 (feral)epg

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

DD has received multiple presents this Christmas that essentially consist of glitter that you pour into the ocean.

Ok - they come in the form of "fairy" dust, or "reindeer food" but the idea is that you sprinkle glitter on your garden for mythical creatures to cavort in.

The reality is that glitter either dissipates into the soil, or is washed into stormwater drains and ends in the oceans.

If you're not comfortable with chucking plastic bags into the ocean, please don't pour glitter on your lawn and please don't give it to children to use outdoors (or even really indoors - the stuff is evil).

PS - it's also a really really bad idea to feed glitter to animals, even reindeer.

#2 Rhoxie

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Yes...the days of glitter in reindeer food are long gone. It's  not supporting the  teaching of plastics in the environment.

P.S. if your heart is set on making reindeer food substitute jelly crystals for the glitter and to save your front lawn from an animal attacting wasteland of pink sticky rolled oats pop it in a bucket (repurposed from the sandpit) and write "reindeer food" on the side.

#3 =R2=

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

I was just reading about about Passion Dust for the “lady garden” on my FB feed this morning. I totally thought that was what you were posting about :o

https://nypost.com/2...l-glitterbombs/

#4 Pocket...

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

I've heard that edible glitter / dust / sprinkles are a reasonable substitute. Not looked into it though. Dd got a pot of this home, I was going to bin it then make a better one, not sure that helps though.

#5 nup

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

We know that glitter is pure evil and yet the sparkles continue.

#6 Nasty Teens

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostPocketGingerJingle, on 16 December 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

I've heard that edible glitter / dust / sprinkles are a reasonable substitute. Not looked into it though. Dd got a pot of this home, I was going to bin it then make a better one, not sure that helps though.

I will look for the link, but from what I read earlier in the week the edible glitter is still very bad for birds.

#7 rosie28

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

For a glitter free reindeer food just shake oats around in a jar with a few drops of food colouring - this year we’re having green and purple because they’re my son’s favourite colours.

#8 Pocket...

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

View PostNasty Teens, on 16 December 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

I will look for the link, but from what I read earlier in the week the edible glitter is still very bad for birds.

Thanks! I'd appreciate that. I love the magic, but I hate the negative impacts.

#9 Jenflea

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

I told DD's teacher last year about the glitter being eaten by birds etc and yet this year the kindy classes STILL did Reindeer food.

#10 Guest_KayDan0707_*

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

View Post(feral)epg, on 16 December 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

DD has received multiple presents this Christmas that essentially consist of glitter that you pour into the ocean.

Ok - they come in the form of "fairy" dust, or "reindeer food" but the idea is that you sprinkle glitter on your garden for mythical creatures to cavort in.

The reality is that glitter either dissipates into the soil, or is washed into stormwater drains and ends in the oceans.

If you're not comfortable with chucking plastic bags into the ocean, please don't pour glitter on your lawn and please don't give it to children to use outdoors (or even really indoors - the stuff is evil).

PS - it's also a really really bad idea to feed glitter to animals, even reindeer.

Wow, I didn't know that this was even a thing!  I thought glitter was restricted to craft...or perhaps maybe Mardi Gras.

#11 babybug15

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

I recently discovered plant based biodegradable glitter makeup
https://www.ecwid.co...dable-c24080421

No idea if a similar product is available for craft.

#12 ~J_WTF~

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

What happened to leaving a carrot for the reindeers and the parents munching on it to look like the reindeers did?

#13 tenar

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 16 December 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

What happened to leaving a carrot for the reindeers and the parents munching on it to look like the reindeers did?

That's what happens around here, munching and all...

#14 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

That’s what we do- last year we forgot to do the munching but we went outside and the carrot was gone - we don’t have a dog or a cat, can only assume a possum ate it? Is that bad for possums? Maybe a bird but it was a bloody big carrot...

#15 red_squirrel

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

There is a call to ban glitter in the same way that microbeads have been banned and for the same reason.

It hasn't got very far yet but could happen.

#16 Freddie'sMum

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

Glitter is the work of the devil and should be banned.

I freaking hate it.

#17 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

Thats what we do and cookies and milk for santa

Scrap the toys or games that encourage the use outside as "food" yep sure, no worries

i just cant get behind a glitter ban though, a bit of craft glitter here or there isnt the end of the world.  
and mardi gras just wouldnt be the same......

#18 Future-self

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

View PostFreddie, on 16 December 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

Glitter is the work of the devil and should be banned.

I freaking hate it.

I refer to it as Devil's Dust.

We're a glitter free home. Life is too short for coping with that crap.I threw the 'reindeer food' containing glitter out that came home from childcare.

Reindeers  get carrots and a bowl of water round these parts

Edited by Future-self, 16 December 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#19 Dianalynch

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

Reindeer don't eat glitter. What is wrong with everyone? Give them a carrot!

#20 Bereckii

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

Reindeer eat glitter? Huh. I did not know that either. Still carrots and grass here.

#21 chicken_bits

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

View Posttenar, on 16 December 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

That's what happens around here, munching and all...

Yep. Did this one year and broke part of my permanent retainer wire. That was an awkward conversation at the dentist when I got an emergency appt as soon after xmas as possible!

View PostFuture-self, on 16 December 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

I refer to it as Devil's Dust.

In my circle, it's craft herpes!

#22 Sancti-claws

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

I honestly think that glitter is the crack that those elves must be smoking...

There was no "glitter laced reindeer oats" ten years ago, and there was no elf crap going on either.

Co-incidence?  I don't think so.

Edited by Sancti-claws, 16 December 2017 - 10:40 PM.

#23 Silver Girl

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

I’ve never heard of this glitter trend, so thank you OP for making us aware of it.

Hopefully it will go the way of balloon releases which thankfully seem to be much rarer than they used to be.

#24 RocktonResident

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:16 AM

Our dog used to do the munching for us....I guess this year, that's another duty for me to take on.....

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:27 AM

View PostSancti-claws, on 16 December 2017 - 10:39 PM, said:

I honestly think that glitter is the crack that those elves must be smoking...

There was no "glitter laced reindeer oats" ten years ago, and there was no elf crap going on either.

Co-incidence?  I don't think so.
DD1, who is 17, was 2 when we started doing "glitter laced reindeer oats". So yeah, 10 years ago people were out there, 'feeding the reindeer'.

That elf didn't eventuate until mine were too old for it though.

Probably just as well ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.