Natural deodorant

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lelula

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

I'm on a quest to further reduce nasty chemicals in our home - one thing I'd dearly like to find an alternative for is our deodorants. I've currently got 3 half used natural deodorants in my cupboard that just didn't work at all, and in general I don't suffer from severe B.O. but these were useless. Please please tell me somebody out there has found something effective! (I've already tried moogoo and a couple of supermarket ones).

#2 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

I was on a quest to find a vegan deoderant (chemicals don't bother me). All vegan deoderants seem to be marketed as natural deoderants and I haven't found one yet that works. Like you I've never suffered from B.O. of any kind, but I stink as soon as I wear one the 'natural' ones!
I've gone back to embracing non-vegan, but aluminum, containing ones :)

#3 José

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

I know people who have tried and liked 'no pong' it didnt really work for me.
Im using black chicken and am very happy with it.

#4 cheshire_cat

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

I'm currently using Lavera Naturkosmetik deodorant, the Wild Rose scent is lovely and it seems pretty effective so far.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:42 PM

For summer I've gone back to the nasty party ones.

In winter I use crystal rock, only perfected the technique after trying and failing, using them several times.

Only worked well if I ran water over it before use, then after use too - because sometimes even ten minutes after a shower there was enough hint of bo for it to end up on the stick.

They also have no forgiveness regarding the clock.  Can't for example, have a shower late afternoon, then go to gym in the morning without another shower.

Doesn't work very well as an anti antiperspirant either, but a good deodorant.  Wouldn't dream of using it wearing (eg) a silk shirt.

Was nice to know I was giving my body a break from the chemicals, though.

#6 Coffeegirl

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

I’ve been ordering this from the US.  Free shipping. https://www.nativeco...eodorant-women/

They say it takes up to 2 weeks for all traces of your old deodarant to leave and this one to kick in, and I’d say that was about right.  I started using it in the winter.  

Only thing I don’t like is that it stains any singlets that I wear that are tighter under the arms

#7 1975ladybug

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

I'm thinking about trying this, haven't hot as far as ordering yet,

My mission  is to reduce plastics this coming year, so a metal reusable tin and last years ambition was Australian owned and produced products, it fits the bill.

#8 *Andi*

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

Another vote for Black Chicken deodorant paste, the normal one with bicarb (I had a little bit of BO with the carb-free one). My pits still smell lovely by the end of the day! I have been using it all year and it has been great summer and winter. The thought of the smell of the chemical ones grosses me out now.

#9 lelula

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

Thank you! Black Chicken and No Pong were on my list to try, I'm just not keen on wasting more money. I think I also have to acknowledge the transition period too, boo ☹ I appreciate the input and hearing others' experiences

#10 *Andi*

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

View Postlozzylots, on 27 December 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

Thank you! Black Chicken and No Pong were on my list to try, I'm just not keen on wasting more money. I think I also have to acknowledge the transition period too, boo ☹ I appreciate the input and hearing others' experiences

I didn't really notice a transition period, the black chicken was fine from the start for me. You can get very small pots of it if you want to try it that way. The cost is the worst thing about it, I do buy about 4 pots at a time from Nourished Life as it's a little bit cheaper, but I am going to attempt to make my own soon (recipe from The Inspired Little Pot).

#11 Hummingbird82

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:33 PM

Hi OP, I use a natural deoderant by 'A Bit Hippy'

https://abithippy.co...orant-60ml.html

I've never had any problems and it seems to work well with sport in summer too :-)

#12 TequilaMockingbird

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

I love the Lush one.

It's hands down the best deodorant I've ever used, too.

#13 taki

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

Haven't tried it myself but my friend started using a Norwex crystal deodorant, this was after using Rexona Clinical Portection as this was the only one that worked. She said it works really well and would never go back to normal deodorants.

#14 Brumby Jack

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

I use No Pong and find it works really well. I don’t have any BO smell by the end of the day and I found it worked from the first day I tried it. I even gave it to DH and DD to try and they are really happy with it too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.