Reading Challenge 2018

• Please log in to reply
632 replies to this topic

#1 Ianthe

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

Any takers? This will be the fourth year I think.

In the past we have set our goal and I update the original post with username and goal. Some of us keep track in here and some give recommendations based on what they read.

No rules, count whatever you want as a book and audiobooks count too.

My goal is 100. I didn't get that high this year but hoping to be more disciplined with reading in 2018.

71Cath 12
Astrocyte 52
Be Awesome 50
Cardamom 26
foom 27
Ianthe 100
IkeaAddict 52
IShallWearMidnight 24
~J_F~ 26
Lady Sybil Vimes 30
mayahlb 200
monet 65
Nasty Bunsen 25
Neko NoNo 52
PaulaHall 70
~Peahen~ 20
Riotproof 26
Rowenas necklace 10
~strawberry~ 52
Straight*No*Chaser 35
sunshine_days 110
TikkaB 100
Tinsilitis 20
Toomanybooks 150
wombats 50

Edited by Ianthe, 14 February 2018 - 12:31 AM.

#2 Astrocyte

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

I'd love to join!!!! My 2017 goal was 52 books and 20,000 pages. As of today I've reached 46 books and read 20,638 pages. I read 47 books in 2016 but only 17,000 pages so I improved on that count.

My 2018 goal will be 52 books and 20,000 pages.

Edited by Astrocyte, 28 December 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#3 sunshine_days

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

Would love to join, not sure how many books l will read... Am up to 102 at the moment.

Been reading Morris Gleitzman's series about the war... Once, Then, After and so on... My daughter who is 11 got a few for her birthday and Christmas and she has read them all (birthdya in late Nov) and just couldn't put them down. So l had to read them.. They are brillant, and great that we are able to discuss the books....  And Wonder, kids have read it and want to see the movie so l had to read it too.

#4 cardamom

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

Yes, I'm in again! I fell off the wagon a bit this year and didn't keep track of how many I read, though I'm pleased that I did still read plenty.

I'm going to aim for 26 this year, one book a fortnight.

I'm listing my current book now; I figure it's not cheating since I'm not likely to finish it before New Year anyway.

1. The Miseducation of Cameron Post - Emily Danforth.

Thanks for kicking us off Ianthe :)

#5 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

I'm in too, hit my target of 20 this year (and trying to finish one more before new year) so I'm going to aim for 25.  

#6 wombats

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

Ooh, I've never kept track of how many books I read. I'll set a goal for 50 and see where I get to.

#7 monet

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

I'm in, I have had some great suggestions from the past years.  I passed my goal this year so will try for 65 in 2018.

Thanks for organising again!

#8 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

I’m in! I also had a target of twenty last year. I think I’ll increase it to thirty for 2018.

I want to spend more time reading books and less time on the internet in 2018.. I’ve got in the habit of slumping on the couch on my phone in the evenings when it only makes me feel more tired.

Happy reading all!

#9 ~strawberry~

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

I've really enjoyed the challenge the past few years. I read 110 books this year, after 63 last year and 27 the year before. I'm not sure if I can read as many as this year, so my goal will be 52 - one a week and I'll just see how I go.

#10 wombats

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

#1 Switched, Amanda Hocking. Part 1 of a YA trilogy. OK, not great.

#11 Toomanybooks

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Around 150 seems about right to me.

1) Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow

My nearly ten year old loved this and wanted me to read it so we could discuss it.

#12 ~J_F~

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Ohh count me in.

I need to stop watching so much tv and get back to reading for enjoyment. I have lost that since starting uni :(

#13 Ianthe

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

View PostToomanybooks, on 01 January 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

Around 150 seems about right to me.

1) Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow

My nearly ten year old loved this and wanted me to read it so we could discuss it.

I've seen this in bookshops recently and want to read it.

#14 foom

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:03 AM

I'm in. I need to spend less time on my phone and more time reading.

I stopped reading much as I couldn't find authors I liked. Think I should start on some YA fiction so I am ready when DS wants to read it.

But first I need to list all the books on/under my bedside table and read them.

#15 sunshine_days

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

On my goal for Good Reads l think l said l would read 110, so see how l go :)

So I Hit Him: Surviving Life as an Institutionalised Alien

by Mick Whatham

#16 monet

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

#1 The Thirst - Jo Nesbo

That is 3 Nesbos in a row so next will be something very light and very fluffy :-D

#17 Ianthe

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:08 PM

#1 After Mary-this was a bit slow to start but beautifully written.

#18 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

1. This is the Story of a Happy Marriage - Ann Patchett. Collection of non-fiction pieces for various magazines. I love Ann Patchett’s writing.

#19 Ianthe

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

#2 Mrs Luther and her Sisters by Derek Wilson-book about women during the reformation.

#3 The Jesus of Suburbia by Mike Erre

#20 cardamom

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

2. Did You See Melody - Sophie Hannah. Pretty meh.

#21 Neko NoNo

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

I'm in! I used to read constantly, but last year I barely read anything new and didn't even reread much.

I'm aiming for 52-

1. Little Fires Everywhere- Celeste Ng

#22 Tinsilitis

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

I'd like to join. I registered 10 books on good reads last year, after joining in June. I'd like to get to at least 20 books this year.

I have also just joined our local library Reading Challenge. It gives you 26 book types to read in the year - such as read a book set in Melbourne, read a book adapted into a movie, read a book originally written in a language other than English etc.

Hopefully between Goodreads, the Library, and here I will be inspired to read more! I love reading but find I just can't concentrate like I used to.

#23 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

2. In Praise of Idleness - Bertrand Russell

#24 Ianthe

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

I have updated original post with names and goals.

strawberry-you have really increased your reading

Astrocyte-I love how you count pages.

JF it's hard when you read so much with study.

foom-internet is a huge distraction for me.

#25 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

I'm in again, mainly because I like to see the recommendations from everyone else. Last year I hit my goal of 30 so this year I'll up it to 35.
I'm on holidays still so getting a fair bit of reading time each day.

#1. Fair Game:The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia by Steve Cannane.

I have a bit of a penchant for reading non-fiction books that are based on cults or "wacky" religions. This book was really well-researched and well-written. I liked the fact it was written by an Australian journalist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.