#103 IkeaAddict

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

#7 Safe with Me - K.L. Slater

#104 CrankyM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

36.. The bride by Julie Garwood

#105 PaulaHall

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

IS it too late to join? I have set a target of 70 books this year - I've just missed that the last 2 years, so it seems a good target to set.  To date I have read 5:

1 - Tex by Tex Perkins
2 - The Kingmakers Daughter by Philippa Gregory
3 - The White Princess by Philippa Gregory
4 - The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
5 - The Kings Curse by Philippa Gregory

#106 Ianthe

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

#16-#18 Three more "Five" books

#19 The Walworth Beauty by Michele Roberts

#107 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

I have a couple of books that are ongoing readings:

1. Phenomenal Sydney - Anglicans in a Time of Change, 1945  - 2013 - Marcia Cameron, and
2. Sydney - Jan Morris

3. The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Murial Barberry (I passed it on to a friend and her book club took it on - and love it),
4. A Spool of Blue Thread - Anne Tyler,
5. Brooklyn - Colin Toibin,
6. Behaving Badly - Iabell Wolff,
7. The Ladies Auxiliary - Marcia Cameron,
8. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy,
9. Aerodynamics of Pork - Patrick Gale

#108 Ianthe

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

There's some good books there Tikka, love Anne Tyler, God of Small Things and Elegance of the Hedgehog. How was Brooklyn?

Are you a Sydney Anglican?

#109 71Cath

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

*slinks back in*

Hi guys,

I really dropped the ball on my reading and updating last year (ok, not just here, but everywhere else too, that's another story), but if its ok, I'd like to join again.

I like to try and read 12 books this year.  Hopefully doable, as I am now catching the bus to and from work so there is some reading time there.

So far I've read:

Bad Feminist - Roxanne Gay - amazing book, I love her stories of scrabble tournaments, and I really relate to her struggles with feminism.

I'm currently reading The Girl from Munich - Tania Blanchard, Australian author, this is her debut novel.

Ianthe, you've changed your name and completely confused me!

#110 cardamom

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

Hi Cath! So nice to see you.

View Post71Cath, on 24 January 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

Ianthe, you've changed your name and completely confused me!

I'm just in denial and persist in calling her Ianthe anyway ;)

#8 - The Girlfriend, Michelle Frances. Family drama/thriller about a MIL and her son's girlfriend, I quite liked it - I do love a book with characters that make me seethe with rage!

#111 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

View PostEsther Smith, on 24 January 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

There's some good books there Tikka, love Anne Tyler, God of Small Things and Elegance of the Hedgehog. How was Brooklyn?

Are you a Sydney Anglican?

Brooklyn, a nice quick read. What I got out of it: Life often has many paths you can take. Maybe none of them are completely satisfactory, but you can only take one.

Yep, I'm a very YES, Sydney Anglican (now how did you guess that?) LOL

#112 Ianthe

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

Yes I went all Christmassy. I am back to normal now thankfully, it was very unsettling.

Tikka-me too, we have probably been at conferences together. I am a bad Sydney Anglican though, a black sheep ;)

Hi Cath I'll add you. I read Bad Feminist too and loved it. I love how she phrases things strongly but leaves room for disagreement, it was really thought provoking, she's amazing.

#113 Ianthe

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

I took my third trip to the library in 9 days and got more books. I love this time of year. I read another Five.... book.

I am currently reading Mr Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker and I am procrastinating as I am loving it, don't want to finish it and feel as though it should be read in winter by a fire. It's about Edward Rochester, Jane Eyre's love and his back story and the writing is wonderful. I am a Bronte tragic and am so impressed so far.

#114 IkeaAddict

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

#8 The Perfect Girl by Gilly Macmillan. Took me SOOO long to get into this book then it had a weird twist then it ended. Waste of time. Oh well LOL

#115 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

View PostStraight*No*Chaser, on 05 January 2018 - 10:44 PM, said:

#1. Fair Game:The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia by Steve Cannane.

I have a bit of a penchant for reading non-fiction books that are based on cults or "wacky" religions. This book was really well-researched and well-written. I liked the fact it was written by an Australian journalist.
I've just borrowed this.  Cults are a bit of a special interest of mine. Thanks for suggesting it! I need to finish a non-fiction book first: Helping Your Child With Extreme Picky Eating.

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 25 January 2018 - 10:00 PM.

#116 Toomanybooks

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

18) The Song Remains The Same by Alison Winn Scott
19) The Gate by Natsume Sōskei
20) Girl on a Train by A J Waines

#117 wombats

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

#10 the Perks of Being a wallflower, Stephen Chbosky

#118 Tinsilitis

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

#1 Two Steps Forward by Graham Simsion and Anne Buist. Loved this!
#2 Mad About You by Sinead Moriarty
#3 The Truth and Other Lies  by Sascha Arango
#4 The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell

Currently reading A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley (the basis of the movie Lion)

#119 Ianthe

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

PaulaHall-I'm sorry I only just saw your post. I've added you to the list.

#120 Ianthe

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

#21-23 Five lose Dad in the Garden Centre, Five Forget Mother's Day, Five at the Office Christmas Party

#121 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

6. The Waves - Virginia Woolf. Beautiful, poetic book. Loved this.

5. Braving the Wilderness- Brene Brown. Disliked this, so vague and waffle. Never read her before, probably won’t again.

4. A Path With Heart - Jack Kornfield. Amazingly thorough book on meditation.

#122 ~Peahen~

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

#5 - Truly, Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty. Just two more of hers to go, one of which I read many years ago.

I've made a note of The Bad Feminist, and while looking it up came across Roxane Hay's other books and they look fantastic.

#123 Ianthe

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

#24 Five go Down Under-haven't finished yet but will soon.

#25 Mr Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker-I loved this. I thought she captured the essence of him and filled in a back story in a believeable and engaging way.

#124 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

#6. Church of Lies by Flora Jessop.
#7. The Fault in our Stars by John Green.

This book was so good but so heart wrenching... I couldn't stop crying.

#125 cardamom

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:27 AM

#9 - Too Jewish, Patty Friedman. Light, readable novel; the ending left me sad though. Apparently it's the first in a series of 3, I'm looking forward to reading the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.