Reading Challenge 2018

• Please log in to reply
657 replies to this topic

#26 Ianthe

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

Straight No Chaser I walked past the Scientology office/storefront whatever in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. They were advertising personality profiles or some such thing. I didn't know it was there until we walked past.

#27 Rowenas necklace

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

I failed horribly at last year's challenge, but I read more than I have since DD was born! This year I'll set a more modest target of 10 books.

I've already read my first two (thank you, beach holiday!)
1. The Fault in Our Stars (a Christmas present, good read, but I'd like to reread it to solidify my feelings)
2. We are all completely beside ourselves (very compelling)

#28 Ianthe

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

I really liked We are all completely beside ourselves.

#4 Here Be Dragons by Sharon Penman

I was so excited when I started reading this. I could have sworn I had read her before but no. So I read this 800 page book without slowing which is often hard to do with a story that comprehensive. So now I have a list of all her other books to read ahead of me.

#29 monet

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

#2 Sense and Sensibility - Joanna Trollope

#30 Toomanybooks

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

2) Murder of the Bride by Faith Martin
3) Atlantic Black by A S Patrić
4) Murder in the Village by Faith Martin
5) The Idea of You by Amanda Prowse
6) Murder in Family by Faith Martin
7) The Lost Pages by Marija Peričić
8) The Dressmaker by Rosalie Ham

#31 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

View PostToomanybooks, on 07 January 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

2) Murder of the Bride by Faith Martin
3) Atlantic Black by A S Patrić
4) Murder in the Village by Faith Martin
5) The Idea of You by Amanda Prowse
6) Murder in Family by Faith Martin
7) The Lost Pages by Marija Peričić
8) The Dressmaker by Rosalie Ham

:omg:

8 books in 7 days... that is impressive!!

I have set myself a goal of 26, sorry forgot to say that in the first post.

#32 Ianthe

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 07 January 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

:omg:

8 books in 7 days... that is impressive!!

I have set myself a goal of 26, sorry forgot to say that in the first post.

Toomanybooks is a reading dynamo!

I will add your number to the original post.

#33 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

#1 Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith

Really enjoyed it but now I'm in the annoying position of waiting for her to write the next one, hurry up JK!

#34 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

#2. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

This had been on my to-read list for so long. I couldn't put it down, I really enjoyed it, although I thought the twist was revealed to soon and the book kind of lost its way after that

Edited by Straight*No*Chaser, 08 January 2018 - 04:36 PM.

#35 BeAwesome

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

I reached my goal of 50 books for 2017, and have set the same again this year.  I've just been at the beach for a week, so plenty of time for reading, so I have my first 3 entries already:

1 - The Fix, Nick Earls
2 - Someday, Someday, Maybe - Lauren Graham
3 - The Next Best Thing - Jennifer Weiner

#36 sunshine_days

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

#1 So l hit him, Mick Whatham
#2 Ma its a cold aul night, and lm looking for a bed, Martha Long.
#3 Running on wet sand, Moss Larsen
#4 In my mothers hands, Biff Ward

#5 Forged from Silver Dollar by Li Feng

Seem to be reading all biographies at the moment and plenty of time to read being summer holidays

#37 ~Peahen~

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

May I please join in?

I'm a terrible reader. I'm easily distracted and seem to read the same paragraph over and over again but I'm making a concious effort to have more down time this year, slow down, be kinder to myself and get off the tablet games before bedtime.

My goal will be 20. A mix of fiction, self help and educational books.

#1 Love, Sex and No Regrets by Elizabeth Clark. I got this for my daughter but had to read it first. It's brilliant. I think everyone in the world should read it, but especially boys and girls of this cyber generation.

#38 CrankyM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

Can I join? I tend to read a fairly mixed bag, but don't mind seeing recommendations. At the moment I'm reading a series but the books are fairly short, I'd say probably about 65000 words at the most. And as they are part of the Kindle Unlimited I get them for "free". The number of books I read more is worth the monthly fee and I've found some decent books amount the not so great ones. Actually I'm waiting very impatiently for a few authors to put out new books.

I set a target of 200 books on GoodReads, but like I mentioned I tend to binge read and I'm a fairly fast reader.  don't watch much TV after all.
Since Jan 1 I've read:
1. Exploration: Age of expansion - Ghost Squadron 2 (Sarah Noffke)
2. Evolutions: age of expansion - Ghost Squadron 3
3. Slouch Witch - lazy witch's guide to magic 1 (Helen Harper)
4. Star Witch - lazy witch's guide to magic 2
5. Nomad found - Terry Henry Walton chronicles 1
6. Spirit Witch - lazy witch's guide to magic 3
7. Bloodfire (Blood destiny 1 - Helen Harper)
8. Bloodmagic
9. Bloodrage

#39 wombats

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

#2 torn,  Amanda Hocking
#3 ascend, Amanda Hocking
2nd and 3rd books of tyrlle trilogy
#4 two tyrlle short stories, Amanda Hocking

#40 Ianthe

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:41 PM

Hi Be Awesome, peahen and maya, I have added you to the main list.

#41 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

I dont read as much as I used to :(

this year I put my new book from 2017 xmas ontop of the book I got 2016 xmas and still havent finished.
I want to read 24 books this year, 2 a month

#42 ~Peahen~

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:50 AM

View PostStraight*No*Chaser, on 08 January 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

#2. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

This had been on my to-read list for so long. I couldn't put it down, I really enjoyed it, although I thought the twist was revealed to soon and the book kind of lost its way after that

I loved this book, then went onto read The Girl On The Train and although found parts of it contronting I loved it even more.

I'm going on a Liane Moriarty binge. Having read three of her older books already and loving her writing style I used to often check to see if there was something new of hers out then have up. Then last year when everyone was buzzing about Big Little Lies I discovered she'd had a heap more books published.

I just finished my all time favourite book last night, I read it every few years and it got me through many rough patches.

#2 Three Wishes - Liane Moriarty. (always wished someone would make a movie out of this one)

Now I've started Big Little Lies.

Thanks for the add Esther Smith xxx

#43 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

~Peahen~ I wasn't that fussed by The Girl on the Train, I thought it was ok but nothing to rave about. It was definitely a similar style to Gone Girl.
I'm also a fan of Liane Moriarty's books. I've been waiting ages for Big Little Lies from the library. I think I'm down to number 68 in line for it! 😂

#44 CrankyM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Esther Smith.

I have two more to add.

10. Blood Politics
11. Blood Lust

The last two books in this series were a bit lacking. The first three were definitely better. Now I'm going back to the sci-fi series I am reading. I will admit I barely read any fiction last year so am probably going slightly overboard. But I finally finished my bachelor and want to enjoy reading fiction again before I apply for a masters degree.

Edited by mayahlb, 09 January 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#45 ~Peahen~

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

Straight*No*Chaser I haven't been able to put it down all morning. I've just hit about half way through. It's good. Really good.

#46 wombats

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

#5 Bryant and May off the Rails, Christopher Fowler

I think it is number 8 in a series. I might go back and read some more but probably not all at once.

#47 ~Peahen~

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

#3 Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty. Loved it. Curious as to what kind of mess the TV series made of it now.

#48 cardamom

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

#3 - Laurinda, Alice Pung.

I really enjoyed this; reminded me a lot of Looking for Alibrandi.

#49 Ianthe

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

#5 The Strangest Family by Janice Hadlow. Non fiction about George III and his family. It was great. Was focused on the family and their dynamics. Recommended.

#50 Ianthe

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

wombats I liked that series. I went through a really long stage when all I read was British murder mysteries.

cardamom I read Laurinda based on suggestions here some time ago. It was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.