Disposing of modern cloth nappies

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Pocket...

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

My cloth nappies are done, wrecked. Does anyone know of the best way to get rid of them? They aren't good enough to sell or give away and there isn't cloth recycling available anywhere near me. Any body have any more ideas other than chuck then in the bin?

#2 tarrie cat

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

I was also wondering this as we're done with them but I've got no idea how to dispose of them.

#3 IamtheMumma

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

Any good for rags? Some charities take them to add to a rag bag which is then onsold.

#4 Pocket...

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 01 January 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

Any good for rags? Some charities take them to add to a rag bag which is then onsold.

I think they are too small for rags, but I'll call around the local charities and ask, thanks for the idea!

#5 Silver Girl

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Following as I am wondering the same thing.

There are some ideas here:

https://www.australi...no-longer-need/

#6 magnanimous

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

Urgh.  Please bin them. No charity is so desperate for rags that they need old used nappies.

#7 HRH Countrymel

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

I think that wrecked nappies are well and truly rags.

Use them as rags yourself then bin them.

They will NOT get recycled into rags.  I've worked in multiple places where we bought and used those big bags of rags - even giant granny underpant fabric isn't in there.

If you palm them off to someone else they are only going to have to bin them themselves.

Use them as rags, then bin them.

Edited by HRH Countrymel, 01 January 2018 - 06:34 PM.

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

Rags, instead of paper towel.

Great to see thought going into it.

You could also ask your nearest RSPCA if they're not too far away.   They always want towels etc even if they are not in great condition for animals which come in in a poor state.

#9 rosie28

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

Use them as rags yourself for really messy jobs, then bin them. I have a couple of extra small inserts that I use in the kitchen for mopping up spills- of course they’re very absorbant, and they wash well!

#10 Lallalla

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

I thought there was a charity that takes old nappies, fixes them up and sends them to developing countries. But I don’t remember the important details, like the name of the charity or what level of disrepair they are willing to accept (slack elastics, stains, holes in inserts, delamination... at what point is a nappy too far gone?)

#11 Pocket...

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

There's actually quite a good market for second hand cloth nappies that are in excellent condition but mine definitely aren't! I know a couple of people who used second hand. I think I'll use them as home rags then bin, it's the outers that were really useless, they leaked where the seams were, the middles still work.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

#12 sueratbag

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

They're most likely to be cotton, which composts well. Or you can just put them on the garden as mulch - looks better if there's some other mulch on top of them. Good at suppressing weeds, and keeping soil cooler and moister. They eventually do disappear completely.

#13 Pocket...

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

I know about six are bamboo, the others just said micro fibre. I'll see if the company is still running and check on their website. Thanks for suggesting that!

#14 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

If you know any mechanics, they go through rags like crazy.

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

Nappies on a mission

It's a name comming it mind who send nappies overseas.

but the microfibre inserts cna be used as cleaning cloths, the bamboo/hemp are compostable.

Then again people do just buy inserts if they are still in ok condition.

#16 Pocket...

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:22 AM

Dp has discovered they are great for detailing the car :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.