It's time to Kondo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Last year I KMd my clothes, books and some papers - didn't get too far with them.

I'm in the midst of KMing the kids toys.  It's hard, really hard and I'm onto my 3rd day of it.

I decided to involve the kids.  DD already KMs her clothes, just from seeing me pack suitcases like this but my efforts to explain the rest of it was clumsy at best.

DH was getting stressed at having stuff out in our living area so I put the keepers into a cupboard as we went, which means we couldn't see what was being kept and I don't think enough is being thrown out.

Now I'm stuck with all the little bits and pieces and matching up bits of toys to see if they can be passed on to someone else.

Offloaded a dolls house and some games to a neighbour though so that was easy.

#2 Hollycoddle

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

It may take a few goes. I got rid of 3 big garbage bags from my wardrobe just before Christmas but then went back a few weeks later and got rid of another few Woolies bags.  I had kept some nice dresses (which I never should have bought as I had too many anyway) but had to get real about the fact I'd never have sufficient occasion to wear them.

My goal for this year is to just not buy any clothing whatsoever and just bring less crap into the house in general.  We did much better this Christmas than other years, though I still got given clothing I don't really need.  I had told people not to buy for me but I think they took it as concern about their financial well-being re. spending rather than my conscious wish not to accumulate stuff.  I'll be more assertive next time and maybe suggest alternatives if they really insist eg. experiences, consumables.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 15 January 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#3 chicken_bits

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

It'll definitely take a few goes. Marie's advice about doing it once is incorrect IMO. Especially since her book was written before she had kids.

I've been doing it for over 3 years and we have just moved house. Once the kids get the hang of it, it's easier to get them involved as they grow out of things. Some things that don't bring you joy may bring them joy (oh the tears when DD found a baby doll I'd had hiding in a cupboard for 3 months and then when it was about to head out to the op shop she found it and cried saying it was really special to her).

#4 Rowenas necklace

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

In addition to Marie Kondo I've recently started following Unf*ck your habitat (while the website's ok there's a book and a strong community on Tumblr).

I'm finding the two of them fairly compatible - sometimes I need to connect on an emotional level and examine the deeper reasons for clutter and the things I own, and sometimes I just need to unf*ck a space so we can live in it!

#5 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

RN, does un**** your habitat give any guidance about hard plastic toys?  My understanding is they can't go in the recycling bin.

#6 EmmDasher

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

I KM’d the kids toys on Christmas Eve with the help of our almost 4 year old. She was actually pretty awesome all things considered. We got rid of 4 bags of toy crap and exited the Christmas period fairly neutral. I’d like to cull a bit more but baby steps are better than none and I’m going to do like a PP suggested and place a stronger focus on what comes in to begin with.

You have to have it all out though. We pulled all the toys out and quickly went through it by subcategory (eg. Stuffed animals, building things, wheeler things, puzzles). I didn’t make her hold everything and thank it or all that guff. I don’t need her to suddenly form random attachments. It took about an hour all up.

#7 IamtheMumma

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

I need to start decluttering again. I have to move soon. I'm torn between keeping things for their usefulness later verses space now. Space is the issue as I'll be living in nurses quarters for a a bit until I find my own place. I can't just keep stuff because...maybe.

The funny thing is, I'm feeling so overwhelmed by it yet I have less than a quarter of the stuff I used to have. Things serve a purpose or they're gone.

#8 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:07 PM

I find the kids toys to be the hardest. No one agrees on what to get rid of and i cant toss things that they ‘love’

#9 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

I started but I didn't finish!   The 'throw out' is in the garage, the rumpus needs to be put back together.  Kids are actually not too bad at piffing stuff

#10 raspberry sherbert

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

I am KonMarie-ing again. I have started a few times but never managed to get thru the whole house. We are moving again in 6 months and the last move ,we did ourselves was terrible.

#11 Hollycoddle

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostIShallWearMidnight, on 21 March 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

I find the kids toys to be the hardest. No one agrees on what to get rid of and i cant toss things that they ‘love’

They won't have the opportunity to say they love it if you do it when they're not around.  I have a pretty good idea of what my kids actually play with (which isn't much considering what they manage to accumulate over time) so I feel confident I can do this and not have it come back to bite me by them noticing something's missing lol.

#12 Rowenas necklace

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 15 January 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

RN, does un**** your habitat give any guidance about hard plastic toys?  My understanding is they can't go in the recycling bin.

Not that I've come across. Maybe talk to playgroups, childcare centres, hospitals, toy libraries etc nearby - they may accept donations of hard plastic toys.

#13 EmmDasher

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

View PostIShallWearMidnight, on 21 March 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

I did this approach with my 3.5 year old and she totally got it. We got rid of 4 large bags of stuff.

https://www.momshave...-toy-clean-out/

I do sneak things away in the night that I don’t think they’re that into. I hide them for a couple of months and see if anyone notices they’re gone and then we quietly lose them.

Edited by EmmDasher, 26 March 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#14 raspberry sherbert

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

I have km'd my clothes and shoes. It was easy as I have been buying new stuff recently so had a few things to go. I have also done books and got all magazines together ready to go thru.

#15 raspberry sherbert

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

I have halved my magazines today and kept the most recent. I have been stuck at the paperwork step in previous attempts. I checked and have 3 main areas of paperwork, I am going to work thru each section separately, starting with my bedside table,where I have lots of scraps of paper I write stuff down to remember or lists.

#16 Dianalynch

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

We're moving again in around 5-6 weeks, our new place is nearly ready. DH and I love decluttering, need to do all our clothes again and the kids toys, but it's not too bad as we did a major declutter 12 months ago.

#17 Ellie bean

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 26 March 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

They won't have the opportunity to say they love it if you do it when they're not around.  I have a pretty good idea of what my kids actually play with (which isn't much considering what they manage to accumulate over time) so I feel confident I can do this and not have it come back to bite me by them noticing something's missing lol.
I do this too but store it for 3 months or so. If they notice something is gone and ask for it I "find" it. Anything else goes.
Otherwise if they see me remove stuff, every single crappy toy they didn't even know they had and don't play with anymore is suddenly their favourite

#18 **Xena**

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

On Kids toys, I gave my kids a few containers each and we went through their toys together. I told them they could only keep what fit into the containers (with the exception of some bigger toys) so to think carefully about what went in there. Seemed to work well. Now when they get new things if there is no space they have to get rid of something to make room for it.

#19 Etcetera

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

That's a great idea, Xena. We want to sell our house and move so I really need to get things in order and have been wondering what to do with the kids' stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.