My baby is getting into everything!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Caribou

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

My 9m is getting into EVERYTHNG!

Despite baby proofing the house it’s not enough, he keeps finding cables or being cluey enough to figure out where cables are, I’ve had to pack away three floor lamps because - cables. When I call him back or say no he gives me an Mischievous smile and giggles and sets off into danger.
I’m spending most of my day keeping out of trouble or his sisters toys. And yep! They’re packed away in drawers but even he’s figured out how to open them! I didn’t want to put child locks on those as it seemed a bit extreme.  But I’m not sure I have an option!

I’ve yet to find a good sized playpen which would basically contain him. I don’t want to contain him that much that he doesn’t learn, but enough I can safely leave him to use loo or make lunch.

I know this is #2 but my first well, she just didn’t get into stuff. She observed and obeyed oddly. This one just does the opposite.

Tips?

#2 seayork2002

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

For me (then my siblings) my mum gave us our own cupboard in the kitchen which had the tupperware in it.

it helped at least in there to contain it.

My son was like your first so we didn't even baby proof (he was a runt in other ways though!!!! :smile:)

#3 ~J_F~

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

Baby gates.

Gate off every room you don't want the baby in and make the area he can be in safe.

#4 Caribou

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:24 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 18 January 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

For me (then my siblings) my mum gave us our own cupboard in the kitchen which had the tupperware in it.

it helped at least in there to contain it.

My son was like your first so we didn't even baby proof (he was a runt in other ways though!!!! :smile:)

I didnt baby proof the house with my first either, much to my mothers horror. So much she went out and bought child locks to give me.

I didn’t think I’d need to baby proof the house that much. But the way he’s been, I feel like I need to sleep with both eyes open now.

#5 Caribou

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

JF - house is incredibly open plan. It’s not feasible to baby gate, hence playpen thought.

#6 rainycat

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

One of my twins was like that, I bought a valco 6 sided playpen from baby bunting. I sold it easily when we were finished with it.
We then completely baby proofed our living area, we blocked off the kitchen and doors with baby gates, padded under the dining table, put locks on all cupboards, removed plants and lamps.  I even replaced the lower windows with thicker glass.
We mounted our tv higher on the wall so the cables weren’t showing too.
It was a massive pain but worth the effort, easiest kid in the world now that he is older!

#7 EmmDasher

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

What is the age difference between your kids? Mine were close enough together that the elder didn’t have that many truly dangerous small parts toys. I packed away the marble run and confiscated the coins from the cash register and just supervised play with dollhouse parts etc.- these were only played with in older DD’s room. All toys in common spaces were safe for both kids and dangerous things were out of reach or in older DD’s room so I could restrict access if I couldn’t supervise.

I just kind of ignored most out of bounds exploration unless it was truly dangerous. I’d switch off the PowerPoint and let her have a good look at the cables. Or pull her away from the drawer full of glasses and put her in front of the drawer full of snaplock bags. Most of the time, the novelty wore off pretty fast if I just let her do it and ignored it. There’s very little deadly stuff below counter height in our house anyway.

ETA- and tv wall mounted with cables through wall and other cables well hidden or unplugged when not in use.

Edited by EmmDasher, 18 January 2018 - 12:33 PM.

#8 Caribou

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

One is 6 the other is 9m. It’s a big gap. I’ve got LEGO in locked containers, but even then the 6yo isn’t be best at cleaning up. I’m constantly having to make sure the two toys are seperate. Her room isn’t big enough to take all her toys in either.

#9 EmmDasher

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

That’s a tricky age gap. We had to significantly reduce the volume of toys to make it possible. It’s really only for a temporary period until he learns. DD2 is 18m now and seems to be past putting everything in her mouth. Could you box up a lot of the toys and pack them away in the garage or tops of wardrobes and just have less out for a period? We do a toy rotation so they don’t get bored with what’s out to play with.

We couldn’t do a playpen because there’s just no room in our tiny house. That would have been pretty handy though at the time! I could have popped the dog inside it to keep him safe.

Edited by EmmDasher, 18 January 2018 - 12:42 PM.

#10 Riotproof

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

I just had a rule that Lego and other small piece games were done at the dining table, and had to be packed away. I also threw out any marbles I found randomly around the house after a warning.

#11 rainycat

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

View PostCaribou, on 18 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

JF - house is incredibly open plan. It’s not feasible to baby gate, hence playpen thought.

Our house was open plan too, we adapted a couple of wooden playpens to attach to the island bench to block of the kitchen. My dh is a tradie and very clever and handy, it was a massive effort but worth it so I didn’t have to shadow him everywhere.

#12 ritten

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

For our open plan house we used the low height cube bookcases and screwed wooden baby gates onto them to seperate the living space into baby soace and everyone else space. We also screwed them into our heavy wooden kitchen trolley to block off the kitchen.

It's not pretty and we have to climb over the gates to access the rooms but it meant we could make a large baby safe space. (We still have kitchen blocked off and the youngest is 2.5
5yo just jumps the gate to access the kitchen)

In the past we have also put a playpen around the desk to stop access to cords and just made the rest of the room safe.

#13 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

We bought 2 playpens that we were able to stick together and make one giant playpen - a jolly kidz wooden one

#14 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

The problem with a playpen is that it will only work while they crawl. As soon as they walk the pen is a no go. They either push the pen, crack it, ortry to climb etc. Better to use a playpen to keep them out of areas. Reorganise asll the toys. Anything small of fragile stays in the elder ones room with a baby gate. Everything else stays out
Install double sided locks on sliding doors (my toilets had theses) and the corner baby latches on kitchen drawers. I used the cupboard u shaped clip locks on cupboards. Door knob covers are great also to stop little hands opening doors.

#15 DaLittleEd

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

DD has always loved "investigating" everything.

We have blocked off the laundry, junk room, bathroom etc. The rest of the house is locked down. Baby locks on every cupboard and drawer. No cables accessible. Furniture bolted to the walls. It was a pain to do, but makes life much more relaxing. We tried a playpen but she hated being trapped in.

#16 MrsG2

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Yup, my DS is getting into everything as well. Nearly had a heart attack the other day when he opened the oven door.. we put corner protectors on the tv cabinet which he picked off in less than an hour... we need a gate, drawer locks , the works. I’ve closed the bedroom door and he just crawls to the doors and cries because he wants to get in.

#17 MrsG2

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

There’s no trapping mine in a playpen either lol

#18 alchetta

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:50 AM

My 9mo DD is exactly the same and we are moving house next week, after staying with her grandparents for a long time. I've got so used to the extra hands and nothing here is babyproofed!
DD comes to the toilet with me and I put up the brush and loo roll. she still tries to climb the toilet and open the bathroom drawers but at least I'm there. I've stopped showering every day unless it's during nap time. She gets toys and rusks in her highchair while I'm busy in the kitchen and we eat together. Beyond that I just don't take my eyes off her so I'll be following for tips to baby proof the new house!

#19 ~Bob~

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

I have a similar baby. Mine is 6 months old, but started crawling at 4 1/2 months. It's relentless. All day long I'm chasing and moving a baby to safer grounds. Things I didn't think I'd need to say "you are not a dog, please don't eat the dog food", "please don't eat electricity cables", "why are you licking the floor, the glass door, the chair legs or the legs to your high chair". I'm dreading when school goes back because my older children are a huge help at the moment.

I'm looking at getting a play pen. I'll get one off Facebook marketplace. Perhaps the valco one, as it's quite large or maybe 2 wooden ones to make one very large one.

Edited by ~Bob~, 19 January 2018 - 07:36 AM.

#20 Dianalynch

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:04 AM

DS was like that! We made a big baby proof space from play pens and furniture (the sort he couldn't pull on himself) We removed floor lamps, the tv, anything with cables.
Make sure you fix any bookcases and chests of drawers to the wall.

#21 Popper

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

View PostCaribou, on 18 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

My best friend had incredibly open plan house. She connected 4-5 baby gates to provide a massive safe space and moved all lamps and furniture out with the exception of a wall mounted tv, lounge and coffee table. Gives them heaps of space and you can dump the toys in there. She preferred to do this and keep baby from the kitchen altogether. Worked well.

#22 Grrrumbles

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

I used to put baby in the highchair in the bathroom with me when I had a shower, just close the toilet lid.

I couldn’t have survived without a playpen for a time, but mine were late walkers. Mine was metal so it really did look like a baby jail but it had a fabric bottom and we hung lots of pram toys off it to soften the look. We kept toys in it and left the gate open when not needed for safety so it became just part of the play area.

It helped that my oldest would often play in it with my youngest, we have a four year gap and he is tall so it was a squeeze but cute and helpful.

#23 mandala

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

I used one of those big Valco playpens to off the kitchen/lounge - I just pushed it around so it was wedged into the opening, which was too wide for a gate (and a gate would have made it impossible to use the main cutlery drawer and oven. All toys with little pieces were kept in the playpen, or upstairs in DS1's room.

We were absolutely ruthless - everything was away, contained or locked. Any cables were taped to the skirting board if we couldn't remove them. We taped a sheet against the wall under the computer desk to hide those cables.

You could also get a doormonkey - easier than baby gates for your 6yo to use.

#24 Caribou

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

I use the pram so I can shower. Can’t skip those, I do heaps of walking, rather not skunk on school run :p

I might check out the valco playpen tomorrow. I’m packing away anything that can’t be nailed down. I’m trying not to go too crazy, bc at the same time we either need item, or he needs to learn what’s safe and what’s not (all within safe practice, I’m not letting him eat power points or anything)

He has a high hair for when I do dinner, but it’s ghastly hot and sticky too. I just need to give him freedom without danger. Hence playpen.

#25 Renovators delight

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

2 x jolly kidz wooden play pens.

We just had one, but our house is pretty child proof (TVs on wall, no little toys etc).

I just sold my last one on FB market place for $50 - paid $80 so $30 for a few months of being able to wee / make tea with some peace of mind was good value.

Don’t get the stupid plastic modular play pens as babies escape too easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.