Breastfeeding & formula feeding.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Caribou

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

Ok so we’re into our 9th month of mix feeding. So far the trend is he’s going up 10mls increments per bottle per month.

TBH I’m over it.  We currently do about an average of 6 bottles a day. He’s always offered breast first and then bottle if needed I’m looking to reduce the bottles to like 3-4 a day but not sure how I can do that without increasing the qty in bottles. I worry by offering more formula my milk supply will tank it. We’re getting to the point the 120mls is enough per feed but I’ll have to go to the 250ml bottles soon if I’m to take it up to 180mls. It’s taken 9months for him to fully finish 120mls in a bottle. He has that about every 4-5 hours. Overnight he has about 120mls around 1am and then he’s content boob wise until about 8-9am.

He’s having some solids, not much though. He’s not as interested as he is in milk. Really loves the boob. I’ve given solids before bottle to encourage liking solids but it’s a hit n miss. Some days he loves it other days he’s not.

I guess what I’m asking is, if I were to start making his bottles 180mls and he finished that, I’m concerned he’d have more formula and not fill up on boob, like I give boob, then formula, he snoozes but not hungry for boob until later bc he’s had more formula prior?

Just wondering how you balance that and not rock you own supply!

#2 Caribou

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:21 AM

Adding - we BF every 2-3 hours.

#3 afterlaughter

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

Can you offer breast again after the 120ml bottle? This would help your supply and may only be temporary until your supply is boosted and he starts taking more from the breast before the formula and then satisfied again with the 120mls.

Edited by afterlaughter, 21 January 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#4 Caribou

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

After laughter I should add I do after the 120 is done bc he never goes to sleep otherwise. It’s just from time to time it’s not been enough to offer the boob after. 95% of the time it has been, but lately he’s been after more.

#5 Oriental lily

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

At that age I think I would start weaning of bottle all together . BM and solids and water if still thirsty . By 12 months you will be weaning of formula anyway . Try giving water in a sippy cup if you are worried about thirst . With less formula you will find his appetite for solids will increase and your BM will maybe increase perhaps if he still wants more suck feeds .

#6 Caribou

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

I agree, I want him off formula by 12m, how much water is safe to give him though? I’m thinking of replacing beyond 120mls top ups with water, but not sure how much isnok.

#7 Caribou

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Our current routine where solids are involved is boob, solids, boob, bottle, boob, sleep. But he’s only up 3 hours. I’m thinking I’m offerig too much boob before solids but I’m also terrified of supplyndisappearing if we were extend time between boob feeds.

#8 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

His probably not interested in food because of the fact he is drinking so much formula (on top of the breast milk). I didn't feed for that long but can you offer food with the bottle or food before the breast feed?

#9 Ellie bean

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

View PostCaribou, on 21 January 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

I agree, I want him off formula by 12m, how much water is safe to give him though? I’m thinking of replacing beyond 120mls top ups with water, but not sure how much isnok.
I think Id ask a doctor- I know 12 months isn't far off but 9 months is still very young, I'd do it under medical guidance. Good luck! And well done on the mix feeding

#10 Caribou

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

ETA: he only has solids 2-3 times a day, morning lunch and dinner. Not every feed!

#11 Caribou

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

View PostEllie bean, on 21 January 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

I think Id ask a doctor- I know 12 months isn't far off but 9 months is still very young, I'd do it under medical guidance. Good luck! And well done on the mix feeding

Re- thanks! Mix feeding was hard. I’m proud I stuck it out though.

And as for water, I completely understand! My first was fully FF, and under GP guidance and Paed, it was ok to infrouduce some cows milk but like small amounts. We had similar with water, but being like 6yrs ago I cannot remember for the life of me what the amount was. I just don’t want to go crazy with it either. DS didn’t need a paed unlike my first. Feel like a first time parent all over again! Think a trip back to GP may be on cards.

#12 Caribou

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:16 AM

Bumping yo see if anyone has more suggestions.

#13 eigne

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

Well done for sticking it out. I know how hard it is! It’s a huge effort.

My DD is a similar age. I recently dropped to 4 BF per day and 3 solid meals, down from 7-8 BF (I dropped the formula supplementation a couple of months ago). This was under advice from medical professionals. I was worried about supply too but it doesn’t seem to have bothered her. She eats better than ever, she likes water from a cup, and BFs are quicker than before as she gets down to business instead of sucking for funsies.

I would talk to a lactation consultant if I were you, preferably one who is also a MCHN. Reach out to your council to see if anyone fits the bill.

It sounds like a lot of your day at the moment is spent feeding him one way or another. Good luck 🙂

#14 lucky 2

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

It does sound confusing, I bet you will sort it out, you should trust yourself, you've made it this far. :)

Though does he have to have 180mls?
Are you taking advice from the formula tin or CHN?
These days it's recommended to let baby decide how much milk they take from the bottle and if they take enough to grow normally then that's enough!
Bf babies choose how much they want to drink each feed, let that happen with the bottle too.
Could you see your CHN? A GP isn't quite the right HP for this type of issue, imho.

#15 Caribou

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:36 AM

It doesn’t have to be 180mks. It’s just the next scoop of formula takes it to 180mls. For months I’d make up 120ml bottles he only ever did 60-90. But it’s now 120mls he’s clearing completely.

If I was using nan I could do 30ml increases but I’m on
S26 which is 60ml increases.

#16 Caribou

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

ChN are not great here. I’m sourcing a LC as I’m keen to maintain BM supply.

#17 lucky 2

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

As long as he drinks from the breast you will still make milk, if he drinks a little then you make a little and visa versa.
It's rough you can't rely on your local chn.
Good luck :)

#18 Fright bat

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

We were told that around 12 months, around 600 mL of milk a day is adequate, if giving EBM/formula, if that’s any guide. With breastfeeding, offer food first then breastfeed.

Both formula and breastmilk are good nutrition past twelve months, except for iron, which is one of the reasons food intake is important. The other reason is that manipulating food in the mouth builds up the tongue/cheek coordination and strength required for talking.

The difference between a nine and twelve month old in terms of ability to eat food is massive. By fifteen months there isn’t much they can’t handle. So you’ll find that the food intake actually really starts to kick off in the next few months.

This is not medical advice and always worth seeing your GP if you don’t trust your CHN - but I probably wouldn’t be upping formula volumes at this age, especially if you want to keep breastfeeding. I’d be offering age appropriate food and breastmilk ahead of formula, with a view to really cutting back on the formula/cows milk volumes by 12-15 months. As a ‘milk’ your breastmilk should suffice, in addition to any milk you give in a sippy cup with meals. Over the next few months, food should become the priority, with breastfeeding maintenance as you and bub see fit.

#19 Caribou

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

Thanks!

Yes, I'm trying to avoid upping the formula considering we're so close to 1, if I can phase him more into food and less formula it would definitely help.

If this was just formula and food it wouldn't be an issue, it's just much messier with breast milk thrown in. I'm doing my head in trying to balance it all!

I think my biggest worry is offering food before BM and upsetting my BM supply, but I need to switch it around so that the BM supply replaces formula. we're currently 50/50 with BM and formula.

I cannot believe how hard it's been to find an LC! I emailed one at the GP's office, but haven't heard back. Will look into ABA site now.

#20 Apageintime

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

This might help you find a lactation consultant near you - http://www.lcanz.org...ion-consultant/

#21 Wonderstruck

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

View PostFright bat, on 23 January 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

We were told that around 12 months, around 600 mL of milk a day is adequate, if giving EBM/formula, if that’s any guide. With breastfeeding, offer food first then breastfeed.

Both formula and breastmilk are good nutrition past twelve months, except for iron, which is one of the reasons food intake is important. The other reason is that manipulating food in the mouth builds up the tongue/cheek coordination and strength required for talking.

The difference between a nine and twelve month old in terms of ability to eat food is massive. By fifteen months there isn’t much they can’t handle. So you’ll find that the food intake actually really starts to kick off in the next few months.

This is not medical advice and always worth seeing your GP if you don’t trust your CHN - but I probably wouldn’t be upping formula volumes at this age, especially if you want to keep breastfeeding. I’d be offering age appropriate food and breastmilk ahead of formula, with a view to really cutting back on the formula/cows milk volumes by 12-15 months. As a ‘milk’ your breastmilk should suffice, in addition to any milk you give in a sippy cup with meals. Over the next few months, food should become the priority, with breastfeeding maintenance as you and bub see fit.

This is good advice.

We see a dietician for my bub as she has cows milk and soy protein intolerance. The dietician saw us at 9 months - my bub was having 3x180ml formula bottles and 3 good meals a day plus water in a sippy cup. The dietician was happy with that and said by 12 months they should have no more than 400-600mls milk/formula/BM as it can affect their eating, iron absorbtion etc.

We did food before bottle from around 7.5-8 months and it really helped the solids intake - we give an hour between food and milk.

As bub develops with solids, the need for milk will decrease which will help - I mixed fed only for 8 weeks and it’s bloody hard work as it’s so much work (I was bf formula feed, pump for supply etc) - you’re doing great.

You could see how you go swapping the order of food and milk to see if bub even wants the formula top ups given food is offered too? My bub loves finger food so we do both purée and soft finger foods (it’s hard as she gags and spews a lot even now due to reflux).

Well done on mixed feeding for so long - won’t be long and bubba will be focusing on food more :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.