What time do you have dinner?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 CuriousMe

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

Do you eat dinner with your kids, or a separate later dinner for adults?

And roughly what time do you wake and go to sleep at night?  (And do you get woken overnight?)

Thinking we might need an overhaul of household routine.

Thanks very much.

#2 seayork2002

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

as early as possible 5.30-6.30 depending on what is cooking - then the dishes are done so we all have the rest of the evening free.

#3 anna_garny

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

At the moment we eat dinner between 5:30 and 6, pretty much within a half hour of Daddy walking in the door at the end of his day. The girls are in the bath by 6:15 and bedtime is 7.

Supposedly.

Sleeptime is closer to 8, sometimes 8:30, depending on our activity level through the day.

#4 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

Eat with kids. Anywhere from 6-7, depends what's going on.

I go to bed at midnightish, kids are 8/8.30 and we all get get up at 7. Rarely get woken up overnight these days.

#5 A NEW HOPE

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

Dinner is at 5pm-5.30pm.

Bed for dd3 is 7pm, everyone else 8pm. DP usually drags himself to bed at 10pm

Wake up 4am for adults and 5.30am for all the kids.

We are all out the door at 6am. Work starts at 7am

#6 JK4

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

Dinner between 5:30 & 6:30 depending on out of school commitments. Bed at 7 and sleeping for our youngest, reading quietly until 8/8:30 for eldest. Kids are all up at 6 every day no matter what time they go to bed!!!

#7 Riotproof

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

6ish. But if kids are ratty, i will try to bring it forward if possible.

Dh almost never eats with them unless it’s closer to 7, but I can’t get them to last that long. Dd is going to bed at 8, but I’m trying to get her to go earlier. I think she’s just more affected by dls, so I’m thinking it will fix itself. Especially once she has to get up at a suitable time next week.

Ds is in bed for 8 with 30 minutes reading. So asleep by 9, and up again 7.30.

#8 Lyra

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

I have a 12 year old

Dinner is at around 6ish and we all eat together. At around 7ish we watch a TV show together and we take it turns to choose what we will watch. School nights we choose something short ie 30 minute show and over the weekend we choose something longer ie 45 minutes or a movie.

Bed is at 8.30ish and lights out 9ish. But seeming as she starts high school this year we may rethink this.

Husband and I watch something inappropriate for 12  year old at 9ish OR he plays a game and I watch a show

I am in bed reading at 10pm and lights out at 10.30  I am a night owl so I go beyond this my brain kicks in and I just can't sleep

I am up at 6.45am and out the door at 7.45am

#9 Holly298

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

In the holidays dinner at 7 , during school terms 6.30 - DS and I always eat together and DH makes it home for dinner probably 4 out of 7 nights - DS is in bed by 8 (asleep by 8.30) DH and I usually around 11 but sometimes I stay up until about 12

#10 happygoluckyinoz

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

We have a 2.5yr old so might be different.

He eats as soon as we walk through the door from daycare at 5pm (already prepared, zapped in the microwave).

Bath is between 6-6.30pm and he's in bed for 7pm. Wakes for the day around 6.30am, sometimes later if a weekend.

We eat once he's in bed around 7pm and go to bed around 9pm, getting up at 6am.

#11 Jingleflea

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

One 7 yr old and 2 adults.

Dinner is at 6.15 as DH gets home at 6ish(bus).
DD's bedtime is 8.30 (lights out) and she's up around 7 am.

I TRY to go to bed at 11 but Dh likes to stay up later so I rarely get to sleep before 11.30 or 12, cat wakes me at 5 and I'm awake for the day.

I do nap for 30 minutes because I need more sleep but it's just not possible right now with elderly cat. I can NOT work out a way to keep her quiet past 5 and I'd rather she wakes me than DD!

I'm hoping to get back to an earlier bedtime for me, but I can't sleep if Dh is still up, he leaves a light on..flushes the bloody toilet...

#12 Wahwah

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Our dinner time has changed over the years as the kids get older and do more after school sport, etc. When they were toddlers it was 6pm dinner, bed 7pm, and then we'd eat at 8pm, bed 11ish. I used to be rigid about dinner time being at 6pm for some strange reason, I'm sure the kids didn't know what time it was, but it was important to me.

Now we eat together most of the time around 7pm, kids (10 and 12) in bed by 8.30. I imagine the 12 year old will be pushing for a 9pm bedtime soon. (although being school holidays dinner is anywhere from 6.30 - 8 and bed time is later than usual).

#13 boysescakes

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Aim for 6pm when I have my kids. All eat together. I prefer earlier. Can stand going to bed with a full or semi full belly.

#14 Hands Up

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

On week nights we feed the kids separately. They eat at five thirty. We eat at seven thirty once they are in bed. Generally because either DH or I arrive after seven pm depending on who does pick up and drop off. Weekends we eat together at six.

DS1 would sleep till seven am but unfortunately DS2 is going through an early wake up stage and wakes up loudly. Anytime from five thirty is fare game these days. Sigh.

#15 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

Depends - on the days we both work one of us doesn't get through the door until 7, 7.30. We normally do something quick for the 6 yr old so he can be bathed and in bed by 7.30 - the rest of us eat at around 8. That's for school nights - weekends we generally all eat together around 7, 7.30. I am not remotely hungry at 5.30 or 6.

Eta - ds2 is generally in bed by 8, ds1 drags it out - around 9, 9.30 on school nights - later on weekends/holidays. DH goes to bed when ds1 goes to bed - around 9.30, 10 - I'm a bit of a night owl. We don't get woken up over night - kids sleep till around 8 - 8.30 -am - however on days they go to before school OOSH they're generally woken up at 7.

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 22 January 2018 - 04:58 PM.

#16 AnythingGoes

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

One 5 year old, 2 adults. He eats dinner starting from around 5.30 or 6 pm, shower, then bed at 7.00pm. On weekdays only one of us is home at his dinner time - the other tends to arrive home between 6.30 and 7 pm. So the adults eat dinner together sometime after 7.30 pm.

On weekends we often do a family dinner around 6 pm on one of the days (but we do like our relaxed dinner in front of the tv...)

Sleep for him is say 7.30 pm to 6.30 am, and for us around 10.30 pm to 5.30 am.

#17 Starletta

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

DH never home in time for dinner. So I feed the kids 5:30 and then eat with him around 8. I feel bad. He has such a long day I would hate for him to eat alone every night.

Kids in bed 7:45 ish then asleep at 8. We seem to have a later bedtime than most but it works for us, otherwise they would never see their father on weekdays.

2 year old wakes around 6:30 and 5 year old about 7:45 (if she is lucky and its not a daycare day.

#18 Odd-1-Out

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

2 Adults and one nearly 2 year old here. Dinner is between 5 and 5:30pm bed is between 9 and 10pm. Wake up is around 8 or 9am.

#19 Popper

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

We eat with the kids. Anything later than 5pm is catastrophic.

#20 Mooples

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

We have a 2 year old. We try to eat at 6:15-6:30 which isn’t long after dh walks in the door. If he leaves work late, he and I eat together once ds is in bed. Ds goes to bed at 7:30. Dh is usually in bed around 9:30 and up at 5:30, I’m up till about 10:30 and wake with ds at 7-7:30. Ds will rarely wake through the night but #2 is joining us very soon so I’ll be awake all throughout the night, can’t bloody wait.

#21 Blondiebear

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

I have a 9 year old and an almost 7 year old. We usually eat about 6:30. I can never predict what time DH will be home from work so I don't factor him in to my plans, even if he does happen to be home when we're ready to eat he will usually go straight to the gym! If he does manage to eat with us it's a pleasant surprise.

I aim to have the kids in bed with the lights off by 8, but if they're struggling to get to sleep they're allowed to read. My usual bedtime is 10-10:30. We're all up by 6:30am at the latest and the kids are on the bus to school at 7:20.

Edited by Blondiebear, 22 January 2018 - 05:04 PM.

#22 livelifelovehappy

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

We've made our shower time to be the first thing they do when walking in the door, so they are sometimes in their jammies by 4:30! Then dinner is when Daddy comes home, so usually 6-6:30. We eat without him once a week on his late night. Then bed from 7, takes an hour to do stories and readers with both kids. I'm happy to be all done by 8:15 with a glass of wine and Netflix. Try to have adult bedtime by 10, but often not asleep until 11.

Son is super early riser, so awake by 5:30 when husband gets up and makes kids and himself breakie, I get up at 6:15, shower and walk the dog. Back at about 7:20, when I eat breakie (that husband makes) and finish off the kids getting ready. All out of the door at 8. He has usually dressed the 5 year old and done her hair, 7 year old showers and dresses himself in clothes I lay out for him.

I lay out clothes for everyone the night before, pack lunches and bags for school.

It works! Could probably be more ordered. Everything thrown off if on a random day my son sleeps past 6! We rely on him to be our alarm clock!

#23 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

We all eat together.

The kids are teens now, but even as little kids, we ate together.

5pm is our ideal time, then we have the whole evening to ourselves.

I get up early and go to bed early.

Having an early dinner saves the kids from snacking before dinner.

Works for us.

#24 SplashingRainbows

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

Aim for 5:30, sometimes it is closer to 6. They’re still relatively little and we are an early to rise early to bed family.
On weekends when we can eat at 5 we do, and they generally eat much better. Too much tiredness causes dinner chaos.

#25 barrington

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

Dinner is between 6 - 7:30pm, depending on after school commitments.  DH will heat up his food later, if he's not home in time.  We eat together as much as possible.

Bedtime is around 8pm for the kids, sometimes later, again depending on what we have on and how late we eat.  

I go to bed around 10pm.

I wake at 530am, wake the kids up at 615am and we are in the car to school at 7am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.