What time do you have dinner?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#51 EmmDasher

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

We get dinner on the table at 5-5:30 on work nights by cooking it the night before. All we have to do when we get home is microwave.

It means we have a lot of curries, stews, soups, bolognaise, pasta, lasagne, shepherds pie... things that reheat well.

#52 froglett

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

I have a 5yr old + 2yr old. We eat dinner all together around 5.30-6pm. Shower around 6.30/7, then books + bed by 7.30 (kids), 9.30 wish (us).

Rarely get woken these days overnight (thank god - those early years were killers!). DH and I up for gym (in the house) at 5.45am, kids awake around 6.45/7am ish. Although these school holidays we've had some mornings as late as 8.30am!! (never thought that'd be possible!)

#53 Lou-bags

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

Our routine is a mess.

DS1 (4) is up at 5.30, so DH gets up with him.
DS2 (16mo) wakes me between 6 and 7am
I’m woken (by DS2) around 2 hourly overnight

Dinner is not eaten together. DS2 eats his in the high chair in the kitchen while I cook or just supervise. DS2 has his in front of the TV. This is between 5 and 6 depending on the day.

Up until recently I’d then get DS2 into bed (around 7) and DS2 would have a second dinner with us at 7.30 then straight to bed.

Now we try to eat our dinner around 7 and put both to bed after. So they sit at the table with us and can have more food if the choose.

DS1 is asleep by 8-8.15 usually.
DS2 is probably ready to drop to one nap so is currently fighting sleep and can take an age to go down. It’s now 9pm and he’s just finally conked out.

I am spent, but no time to waste as I have washing to hang and a PhD to work on before he wakes for the first time. Ugh.

#54 MissMilla

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:57 AM

My husband gets home from work between 6 and 8, so we eat as soon as hes home. He usually calls me when he leaves the office and I then prepare dinner. If I havent gotten a call by 7 then I usually make dinner for the kids first and feed them before he comes home. Those days my husband and I eat together after the kids have gone to bed.

#55 Lyra

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:16 AM

View PostCuriousMe, on 22 January 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I would love to do everything earlier in the evenings - it seems a lot of other families manage to.

My husband works from home. I text him when I am about to leave work and he starts dinner pretty soon after that. I cook a couple of week nights too but it's always something quick

#56 seayork2002

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

I get in about 5:10 and DH at about 5:20 - he cooks while i do little jobs around the place.

As DS10 gets up early I drop him at BA/OOSH for about 7.30am or so (we live opposite the school) then take myself off to the cafe and shops before work (around the corner from home/work/school)

Edited by seayork2002, 23 January 2018 - 08:37 AM.

#57 eigne

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

In my future ideal world (I’m returning to work in a month):

6.30 dinner for DD, DH and I
7.15 DD into bath
7.30 last breastfeed for DD
7.45-8ish DD into bed and asleep
10.30 bed for me
6.30 I wake up
7 wake DD up and breastfeed
7.45 walk out the door for childcare and work

In reality, for us to eat at 6.30 at the moment I need to have had time to prepare the meal during the afternoon and when I’m back at work I’ll have to bulk cook on weekends. I’ll get home at 6 on a good day!

If our dinner isn’t ready at 6.30, we take it in turns to cook while attending to DD so often don’t sit down til 8 or 8.30. For me, that’s too close to bedtime and it’s hard to get to sleep.

#58 Hini

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

Our kids eat leftovers from our dinner the night before. We just meal plan so it works out that way. That way their dinner takes 10 minutes and we can take a bit more time over ours.

We always have bolognaise sauce in the freezer and in emergencies we do 'picnic dinner' which is whatever we can cobble together on a platter! Sliced ham, cucumber, cheese and pear on a platter followed by Greek yoghurt with fruit.

#59 SeaPrincess

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

We aim for 6-ish, but don’t always achieve it! We also try to eat together most nights as well.

It definitely depends on the ages of the children, and even the stages they’re going through. When they were little, they would eat a bit earlier to be in bed at 7. When they were dropping their naps, I would bring it even earlier to have them in bed at 6.30. Now that they’re older (youngest is 8), we don’t have to be so rigid. I still get woken up occasionally when DH is away for work.

#60 Mpjp is feral

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

How does everyone eat so early? I don’t leave the office until 630pm. Is there a non working parent at everyone’s home?

#61 seayork2002

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

View PostMpjp is feral, on 23 January 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

How does everyone eat so early? I don’t leave the office until 630pm. Is there a non working parent at everyone’s home?

I work around the corner from home and my boss looks at me like i have 2 heads if he sees me in the office at 5:01pm - DH has flexi time and likes to be in the office early so leaves early (not every day but most days)

#62 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Maybe different jobs to yours, not every one works in an office, that require different hours.

Some people might work part-time or shift work.

#63 Mpjp is feral

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:32 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 23 January 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Maybe different jobs to yours, not every one works in an office, that require different hours.

Some people might work part-time or shift work.

Yes that’s what I thought but then into the second page I was wondering if everyone on EB is flex, shift, part time or sah!

#64 marple

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

6 for the 5yo and aim for 7 for everyone else.

#65 Riotproof

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

All the families I know that use regular childcare treat lunch as the main meal and give their kids a sandwich for dinner.

#66 EmmDasher

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

I do the drop off so work later. DH starts early and finishes earlier to pick them up.

Even so, I am out of the office at 5pm as a top priority. Everyone I work with knows that 5-7pm are sacred to me. I work from home after 7pm if necessary or pop back to the office. It's only a 15 min drive and I can park there so not a big deal to go back once the kids are in bed. I'm fortunate to be in a job where I have that flexibility.

Edited by EmmDasher, 23 January 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#67 Hands Up

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

View PostwalkingFish, on 22 January 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

How are people getting dinner on the table so early?

2.5 year old and 2 adults here.
I’m up at 0530 (start work early) DS between 0630 and 0730.

DS has very substantial snack/early dinner at about 5/5.30 after childcare - prepared he night before and heated. The. We all have dinner at 1900, we aim for 6.30 but rarely manage it.
DS in bed at 8, but rarely asleep before 9.

Adults in bed about 11.

On daycare days the kids have leftovers from the night before, or a ham and cheese toastie or an omelette. I make huge batches of frozen vegetables and freeze in kid sized portions. They defrost overnight in the fridge and ten minutes in the oven and they crunch back up. They’ve already had a hot lunch so it’s about getting dinner on the table fast. DH leaves work at four to pick them up at five. We are lucky he can do that.

Edited by Hands Up, 23 January 2018 - 09:54 AM.

#68 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

We eat at 6pm 90% of the time.  We are all hungry then and having a set meal time works for us.

#69 Beancat

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

I was going to ask this exact question?? how are people eating at 5ish and 5.30 when many work places have standard hours until this time?  Im thinking they must teleport home:)

So our kids eat around 6.45 to 7pm and we eat around 8 or 8.30 once the kids are in bed and I may go to a pilates class once or twice a week

Kids go to bed at 8 but lights out at 8.30.  I go to bed around 11 and get up at 5.30

#70 annodam

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

Edited by annodam, 12 July 2019 - 11:57 AM.

#71 Starletta

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

My work hours are 8-4:30. If I have to finish something I log on once kids are in bed.

Lots of people negotiate their hours these days, it doesn’t always have to be a long day at the office. There are lots of alternatives to that model of working :)

#72 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

I work but I am generally home in time to have dinner made.  If I am not home in time I will have tried to organise something that can either be reheated, defrosted or just eaten if it has been in the slow cooker.

#73 4kids mostlysane

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

I do work part time, 3 days a week and have 4 kids aged 17,14,11 and 7

The theory is that we all eat together at 6pm(ish) and this is mostly achievable during the holidays (the time is much more forgiving then as we mostly don't have to be us early).  However during school terms it's another story altogether.

I am out Mon nights as is DD3 but that will change to Tuesdays mid term, DS is out Tuesday (but after dinner), DH, DD1 and DD2 are out at 6pm on Wed  - all with scouting activities.  Once soccer season starts and we have to factor in soccer practise it becomes ships that pass in the night.  Whatever night ends up being the busiest night (Wed at the moment) becomes "Fend for yourself night" which means find some left overs or have 2 min noodles or soup or whatever.  On nights when we're all going every which way we have things like pasta or curry or casserole that everyone can dish up themselves and easily re-heat.  We (hahahaha, I) save the meals like sausage and vegies'/steak and vege/ etc for when I know we can all sit down at the one time.

The cats scratching at my bedroom door at 5am when I've forgotten to put them away in the laundry (again) is the only thing that disturbs my sleep these days.... and the husband snoring....

#74 dolcengabbana

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

We only have the 1 kid and it all depends on our training his training his work it can range from 6.30 - 8pm (we hate eating that late but sometimes my runs don't finish until just after 7) but we all eat together except Sundays he works late that night so I have his set aside although if we have a late lunch we will all often just have a snack together when he gets home.

#75 Mpjp is feral

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

View PostStarletta, on 23 January 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Lots of people negotiate their hours these days, it doesn’t always have to be a long day at the office. There are lots of alternatives to that model of working :)

Yes I know there are. I’m in HR in a fairly progrssive organisation but the majority still work standard hours. And the rush hour around the city 5-7pm stilll suggests to me that there are plenty of people not on flex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.