Reality of recovery once home.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 ERipley

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:19 PM

The standard advice is that you will be able to move around as though you’ve had a vaginal birth within 3 days.

Take the drugs, make sure your partner is going to take a few weeks off and do most of the lifting and you will be fine.

I have had both types of births and c-section is infinitely more civilised.

Enjoy your new baby!

Edited by ERipley, 28 May 2019 - 04:26 PM.

#27 robhat

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:31 PM

I didn't find pain to be a problem, but lack of tummy muscles was! Some of this may be due to the fact that I am a small person who had huge babies and I had huge tummy muscle separation. Basically as long as I really didn't lift or carry anything heavy I was fine. It made laundry a difficult task so my husband did most of that for the first month. Grocery shopping was mostly done online. Other tasks were mostly fine. We put bub in a high up pram in the living room during the day so I didn't have to do too much bending and lifting of a heavy baby (4.2kg)!

#28 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

Hope it all goes well OP!

#29 AdelTwins

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

2 planned c sections. Driving automatic car within 10 days - approved by OB (therefore insured), short distances only.
No real issues, took my pain meds, but didn’t need any after leaving hospital. Reaching to upper cupboards was the most painful thing I did.

Just take it easy and stop if it hurts.

Have fun meeting your baby ;)

#30 MwahMum

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Thanks all. Just clarifying, I'm not the OP, just hijacking due to the last minute nature of my CS. And trying to cram prep in at this last stage...

#31 FretfulMum

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

Good luck!

I’ve had 2 CS - 1st was an emergency & 2nd was semi-planned (It was scheduled but I went into labour a few days earlier.  I still requested a CS). Both recoveries were totally fine! I took pain meds for maybe 3 days. Was walking around my room the day after delivery. Walking short distances in the 1st week. Like others, I could still do most housework etc, just more slowly. I accidentally picked up my 2yo a few times in the 1st week after DS2 was born. It didn’t cause any problems (other than me going ‘ooops! Shouldn’t have done that!). I was driving after 2wks.

All the best with your new arrival!

#32 Mollyksy

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:19 PM

I was home within 3 days. Be conscious not to overdo it is my advice. It's easy (especially if painkillers are dulling pain) to overdo it. Get someone else on washing, dishes, cooking etc.

#33 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:36 PM

Agree with the advice to take it easy.  The painkillers can be so effective it’s easy to forget you shouldn’t be doing things as you recover.    I’ve had 2 csections and my recovery from my first was so easy that I was a bit careless after my second and pushed myself before I should have (long walks pushing a pram, housework etc) - the result was that my recovery was longer and more painful.

Good luck tomorrow - I hope it’s a wonderful experience for you.   Enjoy meeting your little one!

Edited by Gruffalo's Child, 28 May 2019 - 11:37 PM.

#34 Ollie83

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

I’m the OP, and baby is about to turn 1!

Great advise here.

It all went well, I made sure I kept up with pain meds. Cleared to drive at 2 weeks but didn’t need to until 4.

I really did take it easy and didn’t lift much until 6 weeks. Paid off & really well healed. Apart from a scar you wouldn’t know I’d had one now.

#35 AliasMater

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

I've had 1 natural birth and 3 c/s.

The natural birth I was much much lower to bounce back and my pain was worse.

#36 livelifelovehappy

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:00 PM

My advice is to be careful! You will feel better than you are and can end up overdoing it. I hung out washing at about 4 weeks. It was awful. My husband has taken over the washing, I’m now at 10 weeks and still don’t feel right with it, but am back to all other normal tasks and even the gym. It’s just something about the reaching upwards that gets me.

#37 gracie1978

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

I was super relaxed after mine, I wouldn't even empty the bottom half of the dishwasher or bath the baby ;)
It drove my Mum nuts, but I didn't push myself at all.

Be lazy like me :)
I was back at pilates within 12 weeks and they were stunned at my recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.