Looking to buy in Illawarra (places to avoid?)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

I know it is hard to advice where to buy but if you were looking at a 2 bed villa/townhouse as near to Kiama as possible and less than $500,000 (or as close as possible. Where would you NOT buy? thanks

(we are also thinking the Blue Mountains but we know those areas)

EDITED: Sorry I did not intentionally drip feed but I forgot to mention DH may still have to commute to Sydney so no further south than Kiama and also I forgot to mention we need to be close to a 'good' (if a school can be simplified to use that word) high school as DS is in Y5 now

Edited by seayork2002, 09 February 2018 - 01:24 PM.

#2 newmumandexcited

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:10 AM

I doubt you’d get that near Kiama for that amount. Feel free to pm me with specifics.

Edited by newmumandexcited, 06 February 2018 - 06:10 AM.

#3 moineau

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

I would not buy - Warilla, oak flats, Albion park rail.

They all have nice pockets, but generally speaking...

#4 seayork2002

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 06 February 2018 - 06:10 AM, said:

I doubt you’d get that near Kiama for that amount. Feel free to pm me with specifics.

Thanks will think of things a bit more and will PM thanks

#5 seayork2002

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

View Postrubyshay, on 06 February 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

I would not buy - Warilla, oak flats, Albion park rail.

They all have nice pockets, but generally speaking...

thanks
we have driven through Albion Park Rail and done some research and we will avoid her ei htink.

I have heard Albion Park itself is not too bad though?

#6 lizzzard

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:07 PM

My GPs lived in Kiama for years so I've spent quite a lot of time there. It's a beautiful spot, but has gotten far more expensive in recent years. I would be inclined to go further south for better value if you can, rather than the suburbs between the Gong and Kiama...

#7 moineau

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 06 February 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

thanks
we have driven through Albion Park Rail and done some research and we will avoid her ei htink.

I have heard Albion Park itself is not too bad though?

That's correct  Albion park itself is quite nice, it's just the rail that's a but questionable.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 08 February 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

My GPs lived in Kiama for years so I've spent quite a lot of time there. It's a beautiful spot, but has gotten far more expensive in recent years. I would be inclined to go further south for better value if you can, rather than the suburbs between the Gong and Kiama...

We can't go to far south as to start (unless he gets another job closer) DH would need to commute back to Sydney but we are tempted!

I would have to quit my job here and look down there as I couldn't commute to my work here now.

View Postrubyshay, on 09 February 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

That's correct  Albion park itself is quite nice, it's just the rail that's a but questionable.

Thought so :smile:

#9 moineau

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

There are some nice places further North too if you're doing the commute to Sydney - My general questionable suburbs in alphabetical order are:

Albion Park Rail
Berkeley
Coniston
Cringilla
Corrimal
Dapto (has nice parts, Horsley, Brownsville and Avondale are okay)
Kanahooka
Koonawarra
Lake Heights (kind of medium)
Mount Warrigal (is kind of medium)
Oak flats
Towradgi
Unanderra
Warilla
Warrawong
Windang (kind of meduim)
Woonona

I hope this helps (I've lived in and around the gong for 20 of my 30 years of life)

#10 sikchic

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:01 PM

Hi rubyshay,

We like the Houses on offer in Horsley, but we keep looking at Albion park for the high school.
is this the wrong way to think?
Is dapto high one to steer clear of?

#11 jessa86

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

Stay clear of

Koonawarra
Albion Park Rail
Oak Flats
Warilla
Some areas of Windang
Some areas of Dapto
Some areas of Shellharbour
Berkeley
Cringila
Warrawong
Lake Heights
Port Kembla
The low side of Unanderra

If you are looking for newer properties, you have new estates in Shellcove, Flinders, Haywards Bay, Calderwood, Tulimbarr. All quite expensive though.

Cheaper established suburbs Horsley, Kanahooka, some decent parts of Dapto, Albion Park, there is also Jamberoo which is further west of Albion Park, but again a bit expensive.

Actually everything in Wollongong is expensive at the moment. Even in the dodgy suburbs you'd struggle to find anything decent under $500,000.

Edited by jessa86, 03 February 2019 - 04:25 PM.

#12 newmumandexcited

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:52 PM

Yeah I definitely would not avoid Woonona. Houses are getting mid-mills there and the more northern suburbs are getting more unaffordable and perceived as too busy with traffic etc. It’s a huge growth area.

Edited by newmumandexcited, 03 February 2019 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.