Help. need gluten free breakfast options

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 splatthecat

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

HELP, my 6yr old has just been diagnosed with coeliac disease. His current ENTIRE diet consists of gluten products, so this is a huge change for him. He previously had weetbix for breakfast every morning and this was the only cereal he liked.
We have tried the GF version and it tastes like cardboard (literally).
Any suggestions for nice tasting gluten free cereal (not chocolate)

#2 Whattothink

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

Gluten free toast, peanut butter, chia seeds, fresh strawberries
Yogurt and GF cereal - museli etc and fresh fruit
Pancakes
Smoothie - yogurt, fruit, milk, ground almonds or GF weetbix
I agree - Breakfast is somehow our hardest meal

#3 SplashingRainbows

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

Hahaha 10 years gf and the gluten free weetbix tastes divine to me. When you can’t remember what the real deal tastes like it’s pretty good! He will adjust.

In the meantime.- ideas

Gf toast - separate toaster, Helgas bread, butter and gf vege spread (vegemite substitute)
Normal peanut butter /honey / cheese / most jam are gf if you’re looking for more normal toppings.

My daily breakfast is fruit salad and greek yoghurt but tgat may not appeal to a little one.

Eggs - boiled / fried / omelette / scrambled / with toast / with bacon / with avocado

Leftover dinner (thinking outside the box is really helpful - the ‘rules’ of toast and or cereal for breakfast that I grew up with don’t serve me well in GF life).

Rice puffs by freedom foods (it’s a cereal) with full cream milk. Yum. http://freedomfoods....uct/rice-puffs/
My 7yo who is not GF chooses to eat these for breakfast every day so they can’t be too bad to those used to a ‘normal’ diet.

Gluten free muffins.

Good luck to your son. It is a really big adjustment. I hope he feels much better soon. Feeling well will help - but it takes a while.

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 15 February 2018 - 08:25 PM.

#4 FeralZombieMum

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

A lot of gf food tastes like cardboard when first on the diet - his taste buds will adjust.

I quite like the gf weetbix - it tasted just like real weetbix. There is on that has coconut in it - I like that one.

#5 Prancer is coming

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

My dd was diagnosed at the end of grade 1.  Prior to that, she had porridge for breakfast every morning.

With cereals, freedom makes quite a few varieties - everything from chocolate cereals to muesli.  But if your kid is not into the taste of gluten free, I reckon Kellogg’s gf cornflakes are your best shot.  Most cornflakes have traces of gluten rather than it being a main ingredient, so the gf ones will not taste that different.  You can also grind them to make crumbing for chicken, as a lot of the gf crumb mix is ordinary.  We sometimes add sultanas or nuts to breakfast to make it more exciting.  Freedom do clusters that dd quite likes.  She also does not mind rice flakes.

Otherwise you could do eggs or smoothies.  DD found gf was an acquired taste, and a few months in she loved the taste of it.  Prior to diagnosis we only ate grain bread and chose cereals lower in sugar, but I did not worry as much when gf as her diet was so limited.  She loves the gf weet bix, so hopefully yours will too eventually.

#6 Emm27

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

My kids aren't GF but they loved "apple crumble" for breakfast. Steamed chopped apples (I do these in bulk and freeze in small amounts so I can thaw one lot at a time) then a crushed cereal (just sub in a gf cereal) on top mixed with a small amount of melted butter and a dollop of yoghurt.

#7 Whattothink

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

Grab a GF cake mix, I use Greens. Add 2 eggs, cup (ish) Greek yogurt, punnet blueberries - spoon into cupcake patties.

Muffins 😃

Not saying they are super healthy, but they are super easy and yummy!

#8 IamOzgirl

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:58 PM

The new Abbotts village bakery GF bread is the best!

Also the Kellogg GF Special K is really good.

Surprisingly has less sugar than the orginal!

I eat eggs a lot!

You can make egg muffins might be a novelty?

#9 Lauralolly

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

My 5yo with CD likes rice porridge with a bit of maple syrup, or fruit and yoghurt for a quick breakfast.  On weekends I make things like poached eggs on GF toast, lemon and ricotta pancakes (made with almond meal) or GF banana bread.

#10 Mumma3

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

The Coles gf English muffins are pretty good, DS likes them with an egg or baked beans on top.
The gf Weetbix are a big hit here, but as pps have said, it depends on how long it’s been since you’ve had the real deal!!
You can also get puffed quinoa or quinoa flakes which make a half decent porridge. This time of the year, Coles have gf hot cross buns and they are a great, quick breakfast too.
With coeliac, it’s really important to avoid cross contamination so you should invest in a toaster just for him, as well as labelling a seperate butter that no non gf knives etc are put in. I always had Tupperware in the pantry, and got different coloured lids for the gf foods, so they were easily identifiable and the gf people knew what they could and couldn’t eat.

#11 IamOzgirl

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

I miss English muffins! Never seen them in store. Which sections are they in?

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

Another one who loves the GF weetbix. It's been about 18 years since I've had gluten so my tastebuds were very happy with the flavour of the weetbix. Add a little bit of sugar or honey or fruit to improve the flavour.

I like the Woolworths brand of GF cornflakes. I think it's Macro or Free From or something like that. I used to buy the Aldi GF cornflakes but my local Aldi stores haven't had them in stock for ages. Aldi also has GF cocoa pops and two types of GF muesli.

Carmen's GF muesli is delicious. Expensive but so nice.

Up & Go makes GF versions of their products.

I like the white bread from Woolworths own brand. I used to like Country Life bread but then discovered the Woolworths one and haven't gone back. It tastes good as just plain bread or as a sandwich.

I use Ozemite as a Vegemite alternative. It tastes like a cross between Promite and Vegemite.  

If you go for a breakfast like an English breakfast then make sure the bacon and sausages are GF.

It might take a while to get used to the GF versions of foods but mostly you'll be able to find decent versions these days.

OzgirlKK: Bakery section near the other prepackaged English muffins in my Coles.

#13 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:43 PM

Seconding the suggestions for the Kellogg's gf cornflakes.

The rice puffs are also quite palatable, especially when you add a handful of sultanas to them.

#14 anatomicalheart

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:05 PM

GF bread is especially good in a toasted sandwich. My kids quite often have toasted sandwiches and hot chocolates for breakfast.

Other breakfast ideas include:

Eggs and bacon on a GF wrap, with a GF hash brown if you're that way inclined.

Greek yoghurt topped with frozen berries/GF muesli/maple syrup or honey/cocoa powder.

GF baked beans on toast.

Spanish style hot chocolate using milk, chocolate of choice, and GF cornflour + GF toast and fruit.

My bacon-fiend child will quite often just have bacon and a piece of fruit for breakfast.

PP's have given some great suggestions but I just wanted to add that, often, my children have 'non-breakfast food' for breakfast.

Leftover lasagne is a big hit here, and that's relatively easily made gluten free. The same goes for leftover pizza.

GF cereal can be made into 'cereal bars' with a variety of recipes, depending on how healthy you'd like to be. A 'breakfast bar' can be a novelty and you don't expect it to taste like 'normal' cereal anyway.

One child is particularly fond of leftover mashed potato (heated) on toast.

#15 gc_melody

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

Our home is GF. And free from CMP, Soy and Wheat.

For breakfast, my kids eat one of the following:

Rice bread toast with maple syrup or home made jam

Quinoa flakes with golden syrup and rice milk

Orgran buckwheat pancakes with either jam/maple syrup or golden syrup. Or I mash up some fresh pear to put on top.

Organ make a cereal called O's. They look a little like fruit loops without the food coloring. This is the kids favourite.  

Rice bubbles with rice milk.

Rice bread toast with cashew butter (replacement for peanut butter. Super easy to make. One handful of cashews into a blender and blend until smooth. Takes around 6min for the natural oils to release from the cashews).

One child can't have whole egg but the other one likes eggs with rice bread toast.

Good luck. Newly diagnosed is a steep learning curve for the taste buds. Our allergist gave the ok to add sugary things to make some of the GF foods more palatable for kids when starting out.

#16 Pearson

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:50 AM

My friend is celiac and refers to a lot of the gf food as cardboard, so not a surprise.
Go to the health food aisle. There are gf corn flakes, rice puffs. Also she says try the different gf bread as you might find one you like but others rave over another. She always lightly toasts it even when making sandwiches. Says it makes it just that bit better.
Watch out for bacon etc. Make sure it's gluten free.

Edited by Pearson, 18 February 2018 - 06:51 AM.

#17 QuirkyMum

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:36 PM

Edited by QuirkyMum, 05 November 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#18 Schmig

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

I have an 8 yr old coeliac. She loves the gf weetbix with coconut and gf rice bubbles from the health food isle. We put banana or berries on them. Gf bread can be a bit gross but it tastes nice as toast. You can do gf peanut butter or avocado which is nice.

#19 kimasa

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

I second the Coles GF English muffins, but not all stores sell them, which is a PITA. Of the four Coles supermarkets near me, only one stocks them, and they usually sell out by midday (no prizes for guessing why, I brought this up with the Coles closest to my house and was told "There isn't demand", pfft, I think there is!)

Schar also make good bakery products, but they're quite pricey.

#20 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

GF weetbix with extra golden syrup is the only way to go :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.