How do you do mornings?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 123Babies4Me

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

I have a 8yo, 5.5yo, 4yo and 2yo and I’m pregnant with no.5. Dh starts a new job next week and will be leaving at 7.30 (he’ll be home at about 4.30,so afternoons should be easier!)

I’m wondering how to get everyone out the door successfully without losing it in the mornings. 8yo and 5.5yo are at school (5.5yo has just started kindy, so I won’t be dropping and running just yet). 4yo is at preschool about 10mins away three days a week. I’m doing my best to get them in a good rhythm with getting themselves fed and dressed - what else can I do better? Prepping 3 lunches is probably my biggest challenge??

#2 lozoodle

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

I leave for work at 5.55am so maybe a little different to most!

I get anything I possibly can done the night before - notes for school etc sorted and packed, lunches packed and in the fridge ready to go, uniforms out and ready etc etc (even down to socks sitting in their shoes, its just a pain otherwise with an early start).

Then I get up at 5am to get myself ready, then from 5.30 - 5.50 I get my girls up one by one and braid all their hair (had nit issues last year, not worth the risk of dad doing their hair). I leave at 5.55 and by then Dad is up and they're having breakfast, and they then get dressed while he's in the shower. They're out the door at 6.40 for before school care.

Night before prep where possible makes it SO much easier to get out. Compared to home days I find weekdays easy I guess as its just so routine and everyone knows whats next. Weekends its more like yeah whatever and before you know it I've somehow lost 2 hours and no one is dressed LOL

Ages are 4 (almost 5), 7 and 9, so it is definitely a little easier this year as they get a bit bigger.

Just realised this is large families forum, so technically I guess doesn't apply with only 3, but still, the rush to get out can suck and I understand that. My advice is just do whatever you can to make your life easier the night before. One less thing to worry about in the chaos of a million drop offs.

#3 Crazyhouseholdof6

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:49 AM

I have a 9, 7, 6 and 3yo. We leave home at 6.20am on the dot five days a fortnight I work. I make sandwiches on a Sunday, freeze them and take one out as needed each night when lunches are made and fruit for lunch is cut up on the sunday day as well and put into containers so I only need to grab one for each kid. Like PP says I do almost everything the night before. Lunches are made, brekky is in the fridge ready to take (fruit and yoghuart in containers for kids), bags are packed beside front door, notes / bank books are in bags ready to go, uniforms /kindy clothes are on top of lounge ready to go. All my kids need to do is get up, brush hair and teeth, get dressed and pack lunches / water bottles.
Took a little while to get the groove but now we can do it in under half an hour where they’re all ready.
Ultimately, get everything ready the night before, it’s a real morning time saver.

#4 Franny and Zooey

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:54 AM

The mornings that I haven’t already made the lunches the night before are a sh*t storm.

So I am trying to make sure I do it as part of my “helping my future self” organisation principle!

#5 Franny and Zooey

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

Oh also in my kitchen I have one tub in the pantry just for drink bottles another for hair ties and brushes, so in the morning I can quickly do everyone’s hair while they eat brekky.  Then they can grab a drink bottle from the tub.

#6 Lauren59

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

We have 6 aged 12 (yr 7 this year) 11, 6, 4, 2 and 4 months. My husband has always left home at 6 but finishes at 3 and I love it. He picks up the kids in the afternoon, eldest now catches a bus to high school, and starting next week my two primary school kiddos will have a bus to school so I won’t need to do school drop off either for the first time ever! Until then we leave at 8.30am.

We pack lunches in the evenings (sandwiches, cut fruit etc goes in the fridge ready to get put in of a morning), everyone gets clothes out the night before. I get out bowls, spoons & cereal and put on the bench the night before and leave a small jug with milk in the fridge for the little kids to use if I’m not up when they are. We have lots of early risers, most kids up by 6.30 or so, I get up at 6.30 and shower before heading into the kitchen and having breakfast and feeding the Bub. All the kids have morning jobs like making their bed, putting cereals away, taking the dirty clothes baskets to laundry and sorting, feeding all the pets, making a younger siblings bed, stripping their own sheets on their designated day. It all helps!

Tbh when my husband is home in the mornings it doesn’t make mornings any easier so I’d rather him home in the afternoon to help with all the drop offs and pick ups for after school activities. Being organised the night before, doing as much as you can, is the key to easy mornings.

#7 kadoodle

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

I shout a lot, make sure everything’s packed before they get up, end up dressing at least one kid, restrain myself from murdering my 13yo DS1, trip over at least one cat and end up tooting the horn to hurry up the 15yo DD1.

#8 jessa86

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

I have 4 also, 10, 8, 6 and 3 and also pregnant with #5. I work full time too.

DH is a shift worker. So he isn't always home to help out, when he is though he takes over the mornings.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to get as much ready the night before. Get the kids to pack their lunches and get their uniforms ready before bed each night, then all you have to do is grab and go. My kids shower at night too.

Give the kids more responsibility by getting them to make their own breakfast. I get my older 2 to help the younger 2.

School drop off varies for us because my start times vary each day. When I start work before 8:30 the kids go to before school care or their grandparents house who drop them at school. My youngest is at daycare 2 days a week and 3 days with his grandparents. Except every 2nd friday when I am home.

Luckily for me daycare, before school care, school and their grandparents house are all on my way to work.

I also have a huge chalkboard in my kitchen with a monthly planner on it, it is colour coded for each member of the family and has mine and DH's shifts on there so the kids know what is going on each day.

#9 amaza

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

I get clothes and lunch sorted the night before. Wake up at 5.30 and get myself ready for work/make coffee. Wake them at 6.45 and give them breakfast while I pack the preschooler's lunch and nappies for the baby. I dress them from 7.15 on. Out the door at 7.45am but I give a 15min, 10min and 5 min warning for the older two who understand. That means I haven't surprised them at 7.45 when I want to leave.

Basically I make sure I'm ready first and everything is organised the night before so I'm not running around looking for anything in the mornings. I can't remember the last time I yelled in the morning or was more than 5 mins late out the door so for us it's working.

The most important part is me getting up on time. If I give in to the temptation of staying in bed for a bit longer (and I'm tempted every day) it throws the whole morning out of sync.

#10 Seven of Nine

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

I am a very disorganised person and I'm not a morning person. DH leaves at 6:30 and just gets himself ready and goes, so mornings fall squarely on my shoulders. I have four kids.

My youngest wakes me up between 5 and 5:30 and we don't have to leave until 8:30, so that helps. I don't recommend it though! I spend a while in the morning sitting shell shocked on the couch with a cup of tea in my hand.

I cook my kids a hot breakfast many days so I pack lunches while I'm in there. If lunchboxes are your downfall, simplify them as much as you can. Give the kids a cheese and bacon roll or a hot cross buns instead of a sandwich. Fruit break can be an apple each instead of cut fruit. Give them all a packet of shapes for morning tea. It's not great but it's quick and it'll see you through! The kids could even sort these out for themselves fairly easily.

What can your husband do before he leaves? Pregnant women need as much sleep as possible, but maybe he could be get up ten minutes earlier and pack the lunches? Or do the girls' hair? Anything to get them further along.

Another thought is to wear comfy lounge wear to bed so that you wake up looking vaguely dressed. You can shower and dress after drop off.

#11 librablonde

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

I have 7 kids aged 13-0. We generally have a solid morning routine and all 6 kids are on the school bus by 8.05am. Here’s what helps me:
I have all lunchboxes lined up on the kitchen bench and open the night before, same for drink bottles.
I get up at 6.30am and pack the lunchboxes and put cereal in everyone’s brekky bowl. I pour the milk and then go wake the kids up.
They eat and then brush their teeth/wash face and hands in a queue at the kitchen sink so I can stop squabbles and time-wasting immediately.
All school uniforms and underwear are folded on the piano the night before and I can see each kid grab their pile after finishing at the kitchen sink. That way I know they’re not just faffing around in their cupboards wasting time.
After dressing each kid does their morning chore (eg: pack bags, unpack dishwasher, wipe table, etc).
All hairstyles for each child are low maintainence.
Shoes are in a box by the lounge room door, all kids put shoes on in front of me and I give each child a check to ensure all are dressed properly and sorted.
Then there may even be time to turn on the tv before they leave for the bus.
So the backbone of my system is: prep the night before and keep the kids within my line of vision so I know they aren’t mucking around and getting off track.
It’s not easy, though LOL

#12 kadoodle

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:27 PM

Thank Christ the school holidays is over, and I can go back to the morning rush instead of constantly sorting out squabbles.

#13 B.M.C.M.I.E

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

I have a 10, 8, 6 & 4 year old. Big 3 are in school, youngest is in kinder.

I pre pack lunches, homework and pull out uniforms the night before.

We've started getting uniforms (and SOCKS and undies) out the night before because every.single.morning someone can't find their socks, shoes, knickers, hair brush.

No matter how organised I am the night before, the morning still ends with me screeching that we'll be late at least once :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.