Allergy safe cake

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

Hi all.

I need to make a cake that is gluten and dairy free.

I have resorted to packet mixes due to time for the gluten free. (I’ve checked and the frosting is the only bit with dairy)

So what milk substitute would you use- coconut milk (tinned or fresh) or almond milk? Hoping to avoid soy as it won’t be drunk here.

Thanks heaps

#2 Fizgig

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

The egg and dairy free recipe I use (not gluten free though) uses water and oil as the liquid in the cake. Don’t think that’s helpful to you, except to say that it doesn’t have to be a direct milk substitute. It can just be a liquid substitute. Here is the recipe I use:
http://www.bestrecip...akes-L8188.html

#3 Flaxen

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

I have used almond milk but it was not quite right. It doeant have fats, so maybe coconut may be better.
But i also tend to use an oil instead. Not olive oil! Thats leaves a weird olive taste in sweet cakes.

#4 eleventyseven

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

Hello, coconut milk is likely to be less allergenic overall than almond if you are serving to more kids so I would go for coconut. It's quite creamy too which I find good for cakes.

I have found using the carton variety of coconut milk better than tinned for baking :)

For oils, Rice Bran Oil is perfect for baking and low allergy again pretty much all 'round.

Or coconut oil works great too. I use all three options.

I drink almond milk in my coffee and it can be a bit bitter. Not sure re baking.

Edited by eleventyseven, 19 February 2018 - 02:52 PM.

#5 EmmDasher

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

Nuttelex is dairy free and behaves pretty much like butter.

#6 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 19 February 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

Nuttelex is dairy free and behaves pretty much like butter.

Yep we have a good stock of that and use it regularly and bake with it heaps.

#7 EmmDasher

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

Sorry, I see you’re looking for milk, I misread! I use coconut milk in my buttercream or rice milk if I don’t want any flavour.

#8 opethmum

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

I would let the nuttlex do the job of the creaminess factor but I would not bother to add milk and add egg, water and oil instead to moisten the cake. I have had allergy cakes before and my friend is a chef and errs on the side of caution for dairy and just uses plain water as needed to the batter.

Dairy Free Chocolate allergy cakes are more forgiving taste wise and easier for those just starting on the allergy cooking.
Do a simple dusting of icing sugar for icing and fruit for decorations.

If you don't have an allergy and regularly bake with those allergens before cooking an allergy cake make sure you clean your oven thoroughly and have some water in there to steam clean afterward and with your existing bake ware put it through the dishwasher on a hot cycle before using it. One friend is highly allergic and recommends this if a person is new to the scene of allergy cooking.

I hope they appreciate your effort to be inclusive.

#9 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

Just make this with nuttelex and rice milk, its so good no one will even think its GF/DF:

http://www.goodtokno...victoria-sponge

#10 rosie28

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

I’ve done nuttelex, icing sugar (pure, not the mixture) and a tiny bit of water before. Let’s not kid ourselves, it tastes nothing like buttercream, but it looks like it, behaves like it and takes colour in the same way.

#11 ytt

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

Cake stores do a dairy, gluten, nut free vegetable shortening called Solight that you mix a flavour and icing sugar with.

Please if you are not used to catering for allergies be mindful of cross contamination.

Use all new packets of ingredients, double wash appliances, cutlery and crockery. Use new tea towels and dish wash sponges. Don't have any other foods cooking in the kitchen. Clean any cake storage containers.  We are not gluten free but I've baked cakes for gluten free people and one person a crumb would send them to hospital with severe vomiting etc.
It's nerve racking cooking GF and dairy free when your kitchen isn't set up for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.