Advice on legislation in qld for drop off

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Paddlepop

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:16 PM

View PostAnon100, on 19 February 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

ECE staff are not allowed to release children into the care of a drug or alcohol affected parent or to permit them to travel improperly restrained - we have to try and prevent it and reprt it if it occurs.

So do you walk out to each car and check that each child is correctly strapped in to an appropriate child restraint? I doubt it. Never happened when my DD attended a C&K kindy. As soon as we were out of the door they weren't interested in the child. If they had followed us out the door and to the car I would have told them to go jump and mind their own business.

Jerry: I'm surprised that you require an adult to collect Preppies. What about older siblings at the school? Are they not permitted to collect them? DD's school allows responsible older siblings, with the permission of the parents, to collect Preppies from term 3 or 4.

#52 Soontobegran

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

View Postknottygirl, on 19 February 2018 - 05:40 PM, said:

As I said if she was 3 weeks older she would be in prep and being dropped at the gate with him.

Are you sure ? All 5 schools my grandchildren go to expect a parent  or nominated adult to drop off at the classroom and pick up from outside the room for the first term at least, they then get dropped off into a line before school but still picked up from the door closest to the room for the entire prep year.
Even when my kids went to school there were no preps being dropped at the gate.

This in no way has impacted their resilience or their independence. You don't want to be told what to do so don't suggest the more vigilant parents are doing the wrong thing by their child.

Edited by Soontobegran, 20 February 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#53 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 20 February 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

So do you walk out to each car and check that each child is correctly strapped in to an appropriate child restraint? I doubt it.

Do I? - No, my parents park in the street. (Centres where the office over looks a car park do have to do this)

Do I want to? - Certainly not I, regard them as functioning adults.

However, there is a big difference what I, the individual want to do and regard as reasonable and what I as teacher am required to do.

If i notice a child traveling unrestrained I AM required to remind you to properly restrain them.
If you refuse I AM required to notify the police with your rego and address and ask them to stop you.
I AM also required to report you to child protection.

Do I want to do that? - of course not. But it is what I AM obligated to do.

The argument is that I am always required to look after the child's interests. And the fact that the child's interests may best be served by unstressed parents doesn't seem to occur to the powers that be.

Don't blame me i don't make the rules. Merely trying to explain why the situation is as it is.

#54 Nobodyelse

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 20 February 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

So do you walk out to each car and check that each child is correctly strapped in to an appropriate child restraint? I doubt it. Never happened when my DD attended a C&K kindy. As soon as we were out of the door they weren't interested in the child. If they had followed us out the door and to the car I would have told them to go jump and mind their own business.

Jerry: I'm surprised that you require an adult to collect Preppies. What about older siblings at the school? Are they not permitted to collect them? DD's school allows responsible older siblings, with the permission of the parents, to collect Preppies from term 3 or 4.

This is the point of difference. By term 3 or 4 the child has been in the school long enough to feel secure in their environment and in their expectations. Most of them will also have had a birthday by then.

#55 ekbaby

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

Schools are so different. My kids caught the bus to and from school from day 2 of FYOS. And are dropped in the kiss and drop also from this day (parents remain in car). They discourage parents from walking them to classroom. From FYOS my kids have had other friends aged 4 catch the bus home with them (not their normal bus, as their is more than one bus). The parents just remind them in the morning to stick with my kid in the arvo. I can’t imagine how much extra congestion and stress would be involved in having to pick kids up directly from the classroom for 6-12 months, I would definitely not want that rule introduced here.

#56 knottygirl

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:07 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 20 February 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

Are you sure ? All 5 schools my grandchildren go to expect a parent  or nominated adult to drop off at the classroom and pick up from outside the room for the first term at least, they then get dropped off into a line before school but still picked up from the door closest to the room for the entire prep year.

Nope not our school. I usually did wait at their class in prep in the afternoon but it’s not required. And certainly not required to walk them in. Ds didn’t want me walking him in when he was in prep. He would ask to be dropped out the front so he could walk himself in. A friend I know has her dd in grade 1 collect her cousin from prep and walk over to the car park together. This happened from week 1 term 1. As a courtesy the teacher was told this was happening but no one had any issue with it. Very common for siblings to collect each other. I always get oldest ds to go collect younger ds and then walk to the carpark. Not because he need picking up but just less waiting round when they come over to the car together.

And when I did eventually find the policy for our c&k it says they can be signed out by someone who is 12.

#57 Paddlepop

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:17 AM

View PostNobodyelse, on 20 February 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

This is the point of difference. By term 3 or 4 the child has been in the school long enough to feel secure in their environment and in their expectations. Most of them will also have had a birthday by then.

By the start of term 3 half will have had a birthday for that year. By term 4 three quarters will have had a birthday. Why is a birthday relevant? All that means is that by term 3 all of the children will be at least 5yo and the oldest in the class will be starting to turn 6yo. I think it's more a case of the parents are getting sick of having to collect them from the classroom by then.

#58 spr_maiden

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:44 AM

Our school did have the policy of preps to be collected from classrooms by nominated person  (guardian, nominated adult or oshc) but they seem to have relaxed it in the last few years. Preps are still to be collected but it can be an older sibling at the school or they can walk to pick up zone if teachers are notified that's their schedule.

#59 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 20 February 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

Our school required parents present for pickup but not drop off. DD had just turned 5 and was happy to be dropped at the gate in her second week of school (which was lucky, as I was 9 months pregnant/had a newborn in her first month of school, along with pelvic instability that impacted my mobility).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.