Head lice policy and odd reaction?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lallalla

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

Just wondering what the head lice and hat policy is at other daycares? On my notifying both the centre director and assistant director via email that my DD had lice they had not told the carers in the room when we arrived the following week, they also have not notified the other parents lice are going around and the hats continue to live in 1 big basket looking as unwashed as ever (though they say they wash them weekly). They also do not make sure the kids wear their own hats and in fact the day before I realised DD had them there is a photo of her wearing a random hat, despite her hat being there that day. It is not uncommon for the kids to swap hats and come home with other kids hats in their bags. Is this normal? Am I overreacting to expect to be notified when there are lice going through the centre and for the kids to wear their own hats, particularly when they know there are lice in the centre?

Also last week my younger DD, who is under 2, came home with a weird scratch between her bum cheeks and a bruise on her face that was so fresh it was bright blue when I got her out of the car at home. I didn’t notice before we left the centre because a) why would I take her nappy off and inspect her bum and b) I was picking 3 small children up late-ish and just didn’t see the bruise. Daycares reaction has been to deny deny deny and insinuate it had happened at home and now a week later are making us sign incident reports (like the ones you do if they hit their head) for bruises and scratches that happen at home.

I’m so furious I cannot think straight which is making it hard to tell if I am overreacting :-(

On the plus side we happened to have a tour of another centre lined up for this week that is closer to our house and I have all 3 kids booked to start there in April.

Edited by Lallalla, 28 February 2018 - 06:54 PM.

#2 SplashingRainbows

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Don’t sign any incident report you disagree with. They can’t make you sign anything.

A new centre sounds like a good idea, based on scratches on bottoms and bruises on faces.

You can raise concerns with the regulatory body if the centre does not address them appropriately.

ETA the headlice thing sounds sloppy and not best practice but not as alarming to me as the condition of your child in pickup.

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 28 February 2018 - 07:01 PM.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

I would have liked to be told but if i wasnt i really i cant say i would have thought much past a 30 sec 'i better check it out and do i need to buy stuff or not' and a grumble

Yes i could be wrong but i dont think lice are transferable by hats just head to head contavt?

#4 Future-self

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Our hats stay at the centre but are named and each child wears their own. I being ours home to wash each weekend even though Injnow they donut weekly apparently too. I would expect lice notifications immediately . And i’d refuse to sign incident reports for things that they claim didn’t happen at care - that’s not what they are for.
Is it part of a chain? I’d give some feedback to Head office if so

#5 Tender Heart

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

Generally speaking the information about the presence of head lice should've been notified to staff and parents.  The centre should have a policy that includes how that information is communicated.

You don't have to sign for that incident given they're claiming it didn't occur there.  They are covering their backsides.

Can you speak with the director or management about your concerns?

#6 seayork2002

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

Yes to me an 'incident' form is for an incident and if it didnt happen there (according to them) there was no incident to sign for

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

Nits can’t live in hats. But the other parents should have been notified!

The bruise sounds dreadful (my DD is sporting a lovely bruise in the middle of her forehead from falling at daycare, they told me all about it and had an incident report). I think a change of daycare might be in order.

#8 harryhoo

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

I work in daycare and have had children go to three different centres, and have never heard of signing an incident form about an incident occurring outside the centre! There's also lice going around at 2 centres in my area - they both have signs at the doors informing parents.

#9 Princess Sparkles

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

Head lice falls under Communicable (infectious) Disease policies. In our state it is "strongly suggested" thatvparents and staff are informed (amongst other measures). We get a communicable disease notice home re head lice with information for parents from every school and early childhood setting we have been involved with.

The other incident would ring alarm bells with me.

#10 Mummy_Em

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:24 AM

Harv on earth does the incident report say? How extraordinary and unprofessional to write a report about an incident you didn’t witness! I don’t have a lot of experience with daycare centers, but I do work in a role where I have to write incident reports that get sent to other agencies. I would look at them like they’d grown a second head.

#11 Sancti-claws

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

Apparently it is difficult but not impossible to get lice through headwear - they can live for a day without being on a head.

#12 me-n-b

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:22 AM

That's a terrible policy about not notifying other parents. Of course other kids will have them too! Also the hats in the box.. My child's class used to keep their hats in a big box together at the door, they all looked identical so they probably shared. Head lice went through that class again and again and again. When they changed to keeping them under their desks not a single further case. I remember reading at the time they can live for 24-48hrs off the body. If they share hats it makes sense to me that they can share lice that way.
Their reaction to the scratch and bruise is odd and concerning.

#13 Lallalla

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I’m glad it’s not just me who thinks something is amiss. The kids are all signed up to start at a new centre in April. So I guess we just have to hang on until then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.