Best dance lessons for a little groover?

14 replies to this topic

#1 pukeko walking

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

DS will be 5 in May. He's always loved music and had a surprising awareness and control of rhythm and timing. Since I can no longer go to coles without a dance session occurring behind me (heaven forbid they play the village people....honestly, the moves!!!!) - can anyone suggest the right kind of dance lessons to get him into?

We live regionally and have heard the local ballet is very formal and strict. Due to the aforementioned love of the village people, I think he needs something that allows for more creativity and freedom at this stage!!

Does anyone have any pointers?

Edited by pukeko walking, 06 March 2018 - 06:57 PM.

#2 Ozquoll

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

If you live regionally you won’t have many options so perhaps just enroll him in whatever kids jazz/ modern/ hip-hop classes are available. Youtube vids would probably teach him a lot too, there are so many dance tutorials on there.

#3 amdirel

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:45 PM

I would be looking for a jazz class.

#4 coolbreeze

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

Jazz or musical theatre. Or tap or hip hop.
You might be surprised that he also may love classical ballet. My ds does.
CB

#5 pukeko walking

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

View Postcoolbreeze, on 06 March 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

Jazz or musical theatre. Or tap or hip hop.
You might be surprised that he also may love classical ballet. My ds does.
CB

May I ask how old your DS was when he started ballet?

#6 rosie28

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

Musical theatre or a drama class could work if you can’t find a dance class that suits. I’d be aiming for Jazz, hip hop or modern dance though.

#7 pukeko walking

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

Does anyone have any experience comparing classical ballet with hip hop or jazz? We could do hip hop an hour away, but ballet is close (and we already travel an hour every week for gymnastics and back). I don't really get the impression that starting with ballet would be the right 'fit' (even if it's something he might take up later)- just because he starts moving to the beat before he's even registered there's music- but would love to hear others' experiences?

Edited by pukeko walking, 06 March 2018 - 08:17 PM.

#8 laridae

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

Also tap may be an option?

#9 No Drama Please

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

DD did ballet very briefly when really young but now does hip hop and jazz. Her dance teacher says ballet is stricter, as more structured, but hip hop and jazz is a bit freer they get be a bit more creative, so if starting out and not sure she suggested to us it’s a good option.

#10 amdirel

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:32 PM

Does the ballet school have other classes on offer?

#11 rosie28

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:32 PM

Ballet is quite structured, there will be time with no music focussing on technique etc. if it’s a traditional school. It doesn’t seem like his kind of scene...

Aside from dance, what about a choir? I’ve been in choirs all my life and there was quite a bit of dancing when I was younger. I also did classical ballet, but singing and dancing was so much fun (musical theatre class would have been amazing for me).

#12 pukeko walking

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

Thank you for all of the responses so far. I'm trying to go through our options with a kilometre radius, but everyone's comments are helping me figure out what I'm looking for.

#13 Abcde-La-A

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:03 PM

I also have a little groover (age 6) and am enrolling him in hip hop dancing next term.

#14 coolbreeze

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:45 PM

My ds was in Grade 1 when he started classical, so around six years old?
He does jazz as well which is more free flowing.
His big sister does a lot of classical dancing so it was a shared interest. Maybe the school close to you if it offers both jazz and classical.
CB

#15 Staying Strange

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:25 AM

Have a look what is available in your area. My DD is doing a "combo" class as a first dance class where she's learning ballet, jazz,  hip hop, tap and some others (the dance school also offers afro, musical theatre and something else).

If you're regional it's really going to depend on what's available. Good luck

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.