Seeing so many newborns night-sleeping with blankets..

72 replies to this topic

#51 Imaginary friend

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

I think you take guidelines as guides and not stringent rules.

So if sleeping bags work for you, use them. If not,  use blankets and follow how to use them safely.

If co sleeping follow how to do it safely.

If you cant sleep with baby in your room ,then follow what you can safely and accept bending other guides if other reasons over weigh  - cot doestn fit in your room, you cant sleep with baby noises, whatever .

#52 Hands Up

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:01 PM

We used blankets, short sheeted and tucked in firmly. This was in addition to love to dream swaddles. As soon as each baby got to three months we moved them into sleeping bags.

My sister in law uses loose blankets, loads of stuffed toys and cot bumpers.... did so from birth for all three kids (heavily documented on FB). It always made me shudder but if I had said anything we would have been persona non grata.

#53 Riotproof

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

View PostCaribou, on 15 March 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Thanks, DS is ten months. He’s been in the cot in our room since. dH is angling for him to leave. I’m hesitant. TBH, it’s been damn convienent to have him a few metres from me overnights for feeds. But DH thinks walking 6 metres isn’t much a of deal to get to DS room.

i think he's going to enjoy getting the baby for you and taking him back.

DS i did it stupidly early because he was a snorter and it drove me bezerk. DD happened much later, though less than a year. Maybe 8 months?

#54 Caribou

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:57 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 15 March 2018 - 10:16 PM, said:

i think he's going to enjoy getting the baby for you and taking him back.

DS i did it stupidly early because he was a snorter and it drove me bezerk. DD happened much later, though less than a year. Maybe 8 months?

Ha ha yes. He’s going to have no issues getting DS for me. I do want him to have a room, but I was hoping he’d be sleeping through the night by then. But reality is I’m getting up to him about 2-3 times from 9pm to 5am. Maybe he would sleep better on his own

#55 Soontobegran

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:55 AM

It’s about how you use the blankets and not if you use them.
The American Academy of paediatrics would be better served banning the gross overuse of cot bumpers in their country.

#56 Riotproof

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:15 AM

View PostCaribou, on 15 March 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

Ha ha yes. He’s going to have no issues getting DS for me. I do want him to have a room, but I was hoping he’d be sleeping through the night by then. But reality is I’m getting up to him about 2-3 times from 9pm to 5am. Maybe he would sleep better on his own

Possibly. Still, if you're not ready..

#57 Mumma3

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:37 AM

View PostCaribou, on 15 March 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

They are noisy little creatures. Whoever coined the phrase “sleeps like a baby” never slept with one in their room ;)

#58 Lifesgood

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:50 AM

View PostMumma3, on 16 March 2018 - 06:37 AM, said:

They are noisy little creatures. Whoever coined the phrase “sleeps like a baby” never slept with one in their room ;)
That's for sure!

I found with DD who was my first, I could not sleep with her in our room. I was too anxious and hyper-alert so I couldn't get to sleep myself. I had PND in the end.

WIth DS on the other hand I loved sleeping with him, and wanted him near me all the time (no PND).

Mind you, the nursery was right next to our room so it wasn't a big deal either way.

#59 Daffy2016

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

Lifesgood we just moved DD into her own room at 5 months because she outgrew the basinette and the cot won’t fit in ours. For the first week or so I missed her dreadfully! I thought I’d hate it but I loved having her close

#60 seayork2002

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

They are noisy little creatures. Whoever coined the phrase “sleeps like a baby” never slept with one in their room Posted Image

i have to admit we had my mum doing the nights for the first 2 weeks of our son's birth after she returned home he went to his own room, I needed to sleep to care for him and DH needed sleep to function at work.

It worked for us anyway :smile:

#61 RPM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

Blankets used within the SIDS guidelines (firmly tucked in at the base of the cot) are fine.

My first daughter loved sleeping bags and that was all we ever used.

However, my second daughter had hip displaysia and was banned from using swaddles and sleeping bags as these would have straightened her legs too much.  So blankets it was.

#62 amaranth

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

Late post. Came across this as we've been discussing it with my cousin last weekend and I just can't let it go. Maybe it'd be better to start a new topic instead, since this one is dedicated to blankets mostly, yet still...

At first we were discussing whether it's OK to give a pillow to a toddler. As she found this post (?) (well, not article) recently: https://rednose.org....ers-and-pillows and it says:

It is safer to wait until the child starts to sleep in a bed before introducing a pillow or other soft bedding.

Well, not that informative.
And then we started arguing about when it's okay to introduce bb's to pillows, blankets and bed.

Here I found that

Some parents do it as early as 15 months and others not until after 3 years
- source, https://www.happiest...-to-toddler-bed

And here I saw a restriction that they shouldn't be used until 18 months and

It’s important to mention that pillows should never be used with infants as they increase the risk of SIDS before about 18 months old.
- source, https://www.talkabou...toddler-pillow/

etc, etc. Not to overrun this thread with links and proofs, long story short - the options are endless. From 11 months to "wait until he/she is 3 y.o". So "if your kid is X months old, then you can give her/him..." is not working.

So now we are arguing about the risk of SIDS mostly, and when bb is capable of sleeping with blankets and pillows all by his/her own. How to understand that he/she is ready.
I believe there is no general answer to this, since every child is unique. For instance, we introduced our kiddo to his new bedding kinda early - as soon as we saw that he started using his hands and teddy bear as a pillow (DS was about 12 mnths).
And here comes my question.
Has anybody ever seen some kind of "readiness to bed" checklist? I'm not talking about general "how to transfer your kid from cot to bed" articles, as from what I've seen authors are not generally talking about which... how to say, skills kid should have to be ready.
Like, my mother taught me that kid is ready for a separate bed and his/her first pillow as soon as he/she asked for it. Which is funny but understandable.
What about your experience? Any signs? Patterns? When you - as a mom or a father - realised that it's time?

#63 Living Type

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:20 AM

In our case we delayed the transfer to bed for a long time as DD aged 3 and a bit was sleeping really well in her cot. She never climbed out (even though she would have been capable) and we knew it would be the end of day naps if we moved her to a bed. We moved her a couple of weeks ago, in preparation for number 3 arriving next month and I didn’t want to buy a new cot. I would have left her in the cot otherwise as she was still safe and comfortable there.

#64 Lunafreya

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:31 AM

DS was in his cot well into his 5th year. But that’s because the cot’s drop side could be removed and the cot became a toddler bed.

But I have heard drop side cots aren’t really a thing in the US

#65 Gudrun

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:51 AM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 15 March 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

I’m amazed the human race has survived.

My guess is blankets have played a positive role in human survival:)

#66 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:51 AM

ha...so true! “i slept like a baby” - what, you dozed off for 40 minutes, woke screaming, demanded a feed, required two hours of rocking, patting, pacing the floor, went back down to bed, cried some more, eventually fell asleep grunting and breathing heavily....for another measly 40 minutes....

#67 Lallalla

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

I was reading this thread thinking oh look another one of these threads, then came across my own post from 2018 and realised it’s a continuation of the same one.

Also no, I don’t think there is a one size fits all. I have fraternal twins, we did not move them from swaddles to sleeping bags at the same time, we did not give them pillows at the same time and annoyingly, because they were old enough to notice these things, we did take the sides off their cots at the same time. But one was ready a fair while before that (And was getting dangerous with her climbing) and the other wasn’t really ready.

Edited by Lallalla, 21 November 2019 - 07:51 AM.

#68 Caribou

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:17 AM

Since this thread when I last commented, DS went to his own room at 12months into a toddler bed and guess what? he got himself out of bed, and walked to my bed! win/win. I didn't have to get out of bed and he turned up in my bed and everyone got sleep. :lol:

He then moved to a KS bed at 14mths when DH had enough of the kicking. Apparently HE wasn't getting any sleep.

He's now 2.5 and still turns up in my bed 1-2 times a night. before midnight he goes back to his bed, after midnight, he sleeps in my bed.

He has pillows, doona etc, no problems. However I agree every child is unique and we just need to assess accordingly to our own situation and what you feel is best. do what you can to make the bed safe,

#69 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:37 AM

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 21 November 2019 - 08:39 AM.

#70 Hollycoddle

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:00 AM

Blankets are fine.  I used flannelette wraps with my winter babies, bottom and top sheets in the bassinet tucked in.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 21 November 2019 - 09:00 AM.

#71 Ellie bean

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

View Postamaranth, on 20 November 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

Late post. Came across this as we've been discussing it with my cousin last weekend and I just can't let it go. Maybe it'd be better to start a new topic instead, since this one is dedicated to blankets mostly, yet still...

At first we were discussing whether it's OK to give a pillow to a toddler. As she found this post (?) (well, not article) recently: https://rednose.org....ers-and-pillows and it says:

Well, not that informative.
And then we started arguing about when it's okay to introduce bb's to pillows, blankets and bed.

Here I found that
- source, https://www.happiest...-to-toddler-bed

And here I saw a restriction that they shouldn't be used until 18 months and
- source, https://www.talkabou...toddler-pillow/

etc, etc. Not to overrun this thread with links and proofs, long story short - the options are endless. From 11 months to "wait until he/she is 3 y.o". So "if your kid is X months old, then you can give her/him..." is not working.

So now we are arguing about the risk of SIDS mostly, and when bb is capable of sleeping with blankets and pillows all by his/her own. How to understand that he/she is ready.
I believe there is no general answer to this, since every child is unique. For instance, we introduced our kiddo to his new bedding kinda early - as soon as we saw that he started using his hands and teddy bear as a pillow (DS was about 12 mnths).
And here comes my question.
Has anybody ever seen some kind of "readiness to bed" checklist? I'm not talking about general "how to transfer your kid from cot to bed" articles, as from what I've seen authors are not generally talking about which... how to say, skills kid should have to be ready.
Like, my mother taught me that kid is ready for a separate bed and his/her first pillow as soon as he/she asked for it. Which is funny but understandable.
What about your experience? Any signs? Patterns? When you - as a mom or a father - realised that it's time?
Is your cousin the one with a newborn? If so giving her the information to consider is all you can do, arguing with a new parent about their parenting never helped

#72 ~Bob~

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:16 AM

View PostLunafreya, on 21 November 2019 - 06:31 AM, said:

But I have heard drop side cots aren’t really a thing in the US

It’s all changed now, and you can’t buy a drop sided cot in Australia either. Although you can still take a side off to make it a toddler bed.

#73 Caribou

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:39 AM

View Post~Bob~, on 21 November 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

It’s all changed now, and you can’t buy a drop sided cot in Australia either. Although you can still take a side off to make it a toddler bed.

that'a correct. something to do with safety which didn't help in my case when #2 came along because I'm short!  If I'd kept the first cot I'd have the drop side. all it did really, was move DS into a toddler bed faster out of frustration from trying to put him down asleep. easier to slide him into a toddler bed than a high side cot!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.