Choosing a business name

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JomoMum

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

I'm starting a small home business making ready made plaster painting kits and DIY party kits.

Do I choose a name that's simple, just based on my location and what it is .. for example Melbourne Plaster and Party Fun

OR

Do I go with something cute but maybe not so obvious like Scallwags Plaster Painting (excuse my terrible lack of creativity).

Any suggestions would be most welcome also!

#2 Lunafreya

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

The second one. It sounds more fun and your product sounds fun.

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

If you choose a long name, make sure it can be abbreviated to one or two words, rather than having to identify yourself each time by a long sentence.

In that sense, the Scallywags (don't forget the 'Y'!) is better than the first.

Don't get too invested in a name without checking it's not already taken though.  Most of the best ones will be.   Putting 'plaster' in there will give you a better chance of success than just Scallywags, but also gives you the opportunity to just use one word when talking to people who already know you.

Good luck, exciting times!

#4 JBH

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

If your services require you to be in a particular location, then use that location, but if you can post nationally you risk artificially narrowing your audience.  I knew the latter case, in an online world I would go with a nickname (web domain) plus description (searchable) eg Scallywags Plaster and Party Fun.

#5 Wahwah

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

Good advice from the PPs.

In choosing a name you have to consider whether you can register it in the relevant category, and whether you can get the URL you want.

As mentioned, the location in the name isn't a good idea if you are an online business. A name like "Melbourne Plaster & Party Fun" either sounds like a  wholesaler, and / or limits your market to that geographic area. Think about who your likely customers are. I think a group of words including melbourne + plaster + painting is going to make someone like me think of home painting and decorating, not party kits.

Also what's important for a new business like yours is optimising where you appear in internet searches. What words would people use to look for you through google? Or are you going to use something like Etsy to distribute?

If you used something like "Scallywags Plaster Painting" you could leave painting off in the URL, but use it in the branding.

The other issue to consider is that if you use a highly descriptive name that includes your product, what happens if you want to extend into other products in the future which aren't about plaster? So then you might go a little less definitive and use something like Arty Party (so not just plaster).

Good luck with your biz

#6 lizzzard

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

Good luck OP. I'm in the midst of choosing a name for a business right now and we are down to two options (I think). It's such a big decision!

#7 JomoMum

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

Thanks everyone for the super helpful info!!

It will only be a locally based business as they can't be posted without adding over the top packaging costs.

I'll have to do some research into what's available and also website names and what words would be used to search .. this is all very new to me!

#8 seayork2002

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

I find names like "melbourne plaster cast" not very appealing but then I am not a fan of over the top cutesy names either

I think one name work best and stand out more

so yes "skallywags" (or a similar) name sounds perfect, it is IMO child related, not over the top cute and memorable where 'skallywags plaster cast' does give more description I will admit but is not as memorable.

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

I find the generic names are usually already 'taken' in terms of registered and also the domain name is often gone.
Scalliwags adds a bit of uniqueness and also will give you a better chance of availability.

#10 Chamomile

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

I’m not an expert at all.
But my suggestion is that if you used a name like Melbourne Plaster, when customers google it, the competitor businesses might come up first.
If it’s a unique name, they’ll find your business more easily.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

The chance of 'Melbourne plaster' being available is about as likely as rocking horse droppings.

Also, obviously if you're googling children's entertainment and looking for something like that you'd know, but it would certainly never 'catch my attention'.

How about 'Scallywags Plaster Party Fun'.

Personally I wouldn't put an 'and' in there.

Although Scallywags would be taken, there's nothing stopping you just referring to yourself that way if you're talking to people who already know who you are.  The other words are useful for registration and search terms.

In Australia only people who own the registered business name can have the .com.au domain.

#12 SnazzyFeral

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

Make sure the name included what you do so it can be googleable so scallywags plaster casts is good. When you design your packaging make scallywags more noticeable and sign emails fom scallywags so you can create a brand. You business name for abn doesn't need to be the name you trade as either though it helps just check no one else is trading as that name. So muffinbreak trades as that but the name of the company will be the franchisees name not muffinbreak for example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.