Sensations during Caesar

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 rubyskye

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

Hi ladies,

I'm 22w with our #2 and trying to decide RCS v VBAC. Pretty much my only concern with a RCS is what I should expect to feel during the procedure. With my ECS I felt them cutting (or thought I did), it was all very rushed and they quickly put me under a GA. I think I want to choose a RCS but I'm concerned about feeling the procedure.

Did you feel nothing? Did you feel tugging/pulling/pressure? Wondering what I should expect from mums that have gone through a CS awake.

Thanks 😊

#2 leosmum

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hi OP, I was awake for my ECS and I don’t recall feeling anything at all, but perhaps that’s because I was so relieved to be out of pain! I suspect you’ll find different women with a range of experiences. Worth having a chat with your care provider, I think.

#3 rubyskye

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

Thanks leosmum, I definitely will be chatting to the obstetrician at my next appointment. thanks for sharing your experience 😊

#4 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

I've had two cs and with both was able to feel the sensation of pulling and tugging, but definitely not cutting.   The sensations I did feel were not painful and I was advised beforehand that I could expect to feel them.    

Wishing you the best of luck for a good birth, whichever decision you make.

#5 Chelara

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

Lots of tugging. No pain at all. It wasn’t anywhere near what my mind imagined.

#6 Fi Fy Festive Fo

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

I had 2 ECS (tried for vbac and did not progress). I have only vague memories of the procedures but definitely did not feel pain, maybe some pressure but not discomfort. I was very out of it both times though. And relieved to not feel contractions

#7 zeldazonk

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

I have had two c-sections. I did not feel any cutting or pain during the procedure. I don't actually remember any feelings of pressure etc either. There may have been some, but if there was, it not bad enough that it bothered me or that I even remember it!

My experiences have only been planned c-sections for medical reasons. I understand this is a totally different experience to an emergency CS. There is a lot more time and nothing is rushed. There is plenty of time to get the drugs and everything else right.

I got to speak to my anesthetist before both times (they called me at home before the procedure and then visited me before the CS on the day). I explained my history and concerns (I had shaking etc the first time) and they adjusted the medication accordingly. They sat next to me during the CS and during CS#2 when I started feeling a bit anxious, the anesthetist just gave me some additional drugs which helped immediately. It was all very calm and straight forward.

Edited by zeldazonk, 24 March 2018 - 12:02 PM.

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:02 PM

Lots of pulling/tugging sensations but no pain.   Elective for medical reasons so like others, it might depends on the circumstances.  I can well imagine that for women who've been in a lot of pain, the relief would be enormous.

#9 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

No pain for me, I could feel tugging and pulling but it wasn't painful.

#10 Future-self

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

You're aware of your body moving as they pull and tug etc but it's not painful or uncomfortable.

In some ways it's reassuring to feel that movement, for the birth to still be something you're aware is happening, that it's your body going through this to birth your baby. If that makes sense and isn't too out there? :)

#11 Luci

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

I have had 3 C-sections. It was pretty much the same with all of them - I could feel a bit of pressure, in particular when the baby is coming out. It was a bit uncomfortable (for about 5 seconds) when DS was born, no problems at all with both DD's.

#12 Lallalla

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

I am not sure what ecs and rcs mean, but I had an emergency c-section with a spinal block and all I felt was tugging and pulling and like someone was rummaging in a handbag. I’ve also had a planned c-section that was changed to a general anaesthetic at the 11th hour because of a particular type of pre-eclampsia making a spinal too risky. It still bites that I did not see them born, or meet them for 2 hours because I was so unwell/woozy.

#13 Threelittleducks

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

Emergency CS here. Was told to expect a sensation like "someone was rummaging around in a handbag" inside my tummy, but no pain. And that is exactly how I would describe, could feel tugging and pulling, but no pain at all.

I then went on to have a VBAC. Pros and cons to each.

Best wishes with your decision.

#14 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

View PostFuture-self, on 24 March 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

You're aware of your body moving as they pull and tug etc but it's not painful or uncomfortable.

In some ways it's reassuring to feel that movement, for the birth to still be something you're aware is happening, that it's your body going through this to birth your baby. If that makes sense and isn't too out there? :)

It does and it's not!

My anaesthetist was at pains (poor word choice - ha) to point that out to me as he was doing the epidural - at the time I was kind of "ok...if you say so" but once I went through it I knew what he meant ....

#15 rubyskye

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it 😊 it's comforting to know that none of you felt pain, all I've read on Google are horror stories of women feeling pain. I'll be speaking with my obstetrician and trying to decide what's best for me, though I do feel I'll probably end up with a RCS.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

View PostRubyEmerald, on 25 March 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it it's comforting to know that none of you felt pain, all I've read on Google are horror stories of women feeling pain. I'll be speaking with my obstetrician and trying to decide what's best for me, though I do feel I'll probably end up with a RCS.

It is the anaesthetist you need to be chatting to pre surgery if you are going to have a repeat elective C/S. Tell them your fears.
Good luck.

#17 AdelTwins

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

I had a heavy dose for my twins and it took over 3hrs to wear off. Didn't feel anything under my armpits, not even tugging.

With DS3 I was moving my legs while they were wheeling me out of the operating theatre. It felt like a little kid was pulling on my leg or something as they pulled DS3 out.

You could request a heavy dose if you are really worried, but it will be a bit harder to get out of recovery and be with/hold your baby.

#18 Luci

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

As I mentioned in my earlier post I was a bit uncomfortable when my DS was being delivered - he was baby number 2 out of 3 C-sections.  I told my OB about it when I was pregnant with baby number 3 and she got the anaesthetist to phone me a couple of days before my third C-section.

He was great and told me that before I was taken anywhere near the operating theatre he would come and see me, and if I was feeling nervous give me a small dose if IV valium which would calm me down pretty much straight away. On the day he came to see me while I was waiting on the trolley outside the operating theatre, I was feeling ok so decided not to have any valium.  He assured me that he thought I would be OK but to tell him straight away if I changed my mind.

Ended up fine, no pain or discomfort at all.  Please speak up OP if you have any concerns, there are definitely things they can do to help.

#19 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

Yeh actually now you mention it I think I was given some Valium prior - or similar. I remember I started shaking really badly and he said "oh I'll give you something for that" - he did and I stopped. Aren't anaesthetists great?!

The thing that surprises a lot of people (I've found) when you talk about your c section is how much effort it is (or can be) to get the baby out. Many people must think they slice you open and poof - out comes baby. But I've had friends whose babies had to get out via forceps with a c section delivery - and I remember at one point glancing up at the screen - the OB's and midwives were behind it and it looked like a rugby scrum was going on - arms were going everywhere, much tugging and yanking ....it was kind of surreal ....

#20 rosie28

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

I felt pressure, pulling and pushing as they moved the baby (both times) and then a literal weight lifting from me. No pain at all. No discomfort at all.

#21 **Xena**

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:33 PM

I also felt cutting with my emergency c-section. I'd had an epidural so they'd just topped that up if I recall correctly and it mustn't have worked in some places. They had to stop and give me a different block and it was fine after that.

My elective c-sections (I've had 4 electives and 1 emergency) were much better. Better spinal block and better recovery :) All I felt was the usual tugging sensation when they were pulling bub out :)

Edited by **Xena**, 04 April 2018 - 10:34 PM.

#22 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:38 PM

View Post**Xena**, on 04 April 2018 - 10:33 PM, said:

I also felt cutting with my emergency c-section. I'd had an epidural so they'd just topped that up if I recall correctly and it mustn't have worked in some places. They had to stop and give me a different block and it was fine after that.

My elective c-sections (I've had 4 electives and 1 emergency) were much better. Better spinal block and better recovery :) All I felt was the usual tugging sensation when they were pulling bub out :)

My emergency one was great, no issues. My recent planned one was quite uncomfortable. Not sharp pain, but it wasn’t easy. I think it was purely because my OB had a more difficult job on her hands getting my big baby out. He had a huge head. No pain or discomfort afterwards.

#23 Soontobegran

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:51 PM

As Xena suggests through her experience unless you have an epidural insitu in labour most anaesthetists will give you a spinal anaesthetic block for your C/S if it is an emergency or elective and these tend to give you are heavier block that usually takes a bit longer to wear off but 'sometimes' lessens the pulling sensations you experience.

A spinal is a one off injection and does not require top ups or a continuous infusion.

I started off one of my total knee replacements with just a spinal and it was not the pain that made me ask for a general too.
If you've ever seen a total knee replacement you'll understand just how wonderful a spinal can be in terms of anaesthetic but it was the noises that sounded as though I was on a building site that made it hard to bear.

#24 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

I have had 3 cs. They were all meant to be elective for various reasons (footling breech, SUA) but two decided they had different dates for their birthday and chose earlier dates than those booked so became emergency cs.

Spinal Block with all 3. Pulling tugging sensations but no pain. With my third I had the shakes early on and like PP said anaesthetist fixed that (I also vomited).

#25 Chazonator

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:35 PM

4 c sections here and I too had the feeling of being cut with my first but I did go through a long labour and started to go into shock with the emergency  c section so they did a GA while on the table. Second I thought I was going through the same process but I hung in there through all the tugging and moving so I was able to see him once born,  third I spoke with the anesthetist and asked to be given something to help take the edge off and whatever it was worked my anxiety settled and again was able to see him born. 4th was a complete shambles tried speaking with the anesthetist but she basically blew me off and couldn't even get the epidural in after numerous attempts so it was a GA. I think my back just can't handle having the needle inserted I don't there a great deal of space plus my last was quite big so bending forward was very difficult. With my middle two I wouldn't let them start until I could only feel the cold thing they ran across the stomach. I would choose a vbac over at section any day but that is my opinion everyone is different

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.