Low FODMAP - Tips and Recipes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LambChop

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:52 PM

Next step on my daughters (14.5yr) gut issues - inflammation confirmed through gascroscopy (?sp) so next step is to try a low FODMAP diet.  We're off to the dietitian of course, but would love your got to websites for recipes and tips, thanks in advance!

#2 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Quirky cooking. Although she uses a thermomix, she tests all her recipes for normal cooking methods also and provides the methods.

#3 Let-it-go

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

Do you have the Monash FODMAP app?  It’s great.

#4 Lyra

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

I joined a low fodmap group on facebook which has been fantastic. I also use

https://alittlebityummy.com/recipes/

https://www.fodmapev...ay.com/recipes/

and like the PP the Monash fodmap app

The thing about FODMAP is that it's not a one size fits all approach. I can easily tolerate some things that other people on the same diet cannot and vice versa.

Going to a dietician was the best thing for me as it allowed me to work out what my trigger foods are and in what quantities.

Best of luck! It was a painful process for me and I sometimes get annoyed that I can't eat everything I want but I am not waking with horrible gut pains any more!

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

We just had soup today that's from Sue Shepherd's fodmap recipe book, and it's so easy we have it really often.

We do make our own chicken stock, and co-incidentally don't use onion or garlic in it, so start with that, then add

- 6 x chopped carrots
- 3 x  chopped parsnips
- 1 stick chopped celery
- finger sized knob of ginger, finely grated

Once cooked, add half a large tin of coconut milk and blend.

#6 Prancer is coming

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:05 PM

It looks really overwhelming at first and there is so much you can’t eat, but hang in there.  My 11yo has coeliac’s disease and sometimes when she is glutened she can feel sick for weeks, but putting her in low fodmaps seems to help.

She is willing to jump on board as she feels sick, otherwise I am not sure she would stick with it.  And it is only short term as you will introduce some of the foods to see if they can be tolerated.

We find something we know my child likes, and just serve heaps of that up in the beginning, which for her is rice.  Identifying something your child likes really helps.

#7 kimasa

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

I can tolerate a grand total of zero FODMAPs (what a great find that was, ugh) so I've been on the full diet for about a year now.

The app was previously mentioned and it is fabulous, definitely worth the price to download.

There are also two logos you can look for on store bought foods, one is the Monash certified logo which is the same as the app logo, the other is the low FODMAP certified logo which is green with a squiggle through the middle.

Just be wary of some of the books and websites and cross-reference them with the app. Because different people react to different FODMAPs in different ways, LowFODMAP recipes can often be high in FODMAPS, because it's a sugar that doesn't effect the person writing it. I've found quite a few use items like celery, avocado, cauliflower, corn and peas, which are not low in FODMAPS, it tends to be the polyols that end up included, I guess not many people react to them. But if you're in the elimination phase you especially want to be sure you're not eating them, as it can mess with your results.

Edited by kimasa, 02 April 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

I’ve got a friend who successfully did the FODMAPS elimination and challenges under the guidance of a dietitian. Be prepared for it to take a while, even for her to initially improve. It took weeks for my friend to be symptom-free, she lost more weight than she could spare, and then she had to stay symptom-free for a period before starting the challenges. Overall, it was at least a 6-month process, but she found her 3 main triggers and is so much better now. I have another friend who wasn’t seeing a dietitian, just had it recommended by her GP. She only managed to stay on the elimination for a few days at a time. She still suffers (although less so since she had a baby).

I hope it works for your daughter.

#9 LambChop

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:26 PM

Some great tips and website, thank you all so much!  We're off to see the dietitian tomorrow, and I'm feeling far less overwhelmed.

Also had confirmation of Lactose Intolerance, so cutting that is going to make a huge difference!   News only came today so currently in Easter Egg spiral... onwards and upwards to pain free life!

#10 archyandmehitabel

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

DH has to have FODMAP.  He has multiple intolerances (not allergy). Gluten free is fairly easy. Also fructans and sucrose which make things the hardest.  Eating out becomes a big issue.

I didn't know there were FODMAP groups on Facebook!  Will let him know.

#11 Lifesgood

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:51 PM

As kimasa says be wary of ‘low FODMAP’ recipes if you are in the ‘no FODMAP’ stage. I am very sensitive to certain polyols and often find them in recipes supposedly FODMAP friendly.

#12 Lyra

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:36 PM

View Postarchyandmehitabel, on 03 April 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

DH has to have FODMAP.  He has multiple intolerances (not allergy). Gluten free is fairly easy. Also fructans and sucrose which make things the hardest.  Eating out becomes a big issue.

I didn't know there were FODMAP groups on Facebook!  Will let him know.

Just be careful with gluten free things. I have to be careful of my wheat intake but can't necessarily have gluten free things as they contain besan flour which is chickpea flour. Chickpeas is one of my main triggers :(

#13 Jenno

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

We have just done this and it seemed impossible at first.

We got planning.

I go to a farmers market each sunday morning and stock up.

Cook fresh.

Our allergist said for the really active kids for them to have 1/3 to 1/2 of their dinner when they come home from school, eg some pasta and either meatballs, steak, chicken on top with some olive oil.

Good luck.

#14 kimasa

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

View PostLyra, on 03 April 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

Just be careful with gluten free things. I have to be careful of my wheat intake but can't necessarily have gluten free things as they contain besan flour which is chickpea flour. Chickpeas is one of my main triggers :(

And golden syrup. Holy moley so much golden syrup.

#15 Lifesgood

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

View PostLyra, on 03 April 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

And loads of GF flour is based principally on soy and almond flour, both of which set me off.

Look for rice flour, cornflour, tapioca flour, potato flour, maize flour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.