NIPT?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BluJay

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

Who has had a NIPT?

Why did you have it or not have it?

I am almost 38 and 6 weeks with my third. I am needing to decide whether to have the test or not.

TBH, if it was on the Medicare schedule I would have it without question. It really is the cost that is holding me back.

I already know what I will do depending on results. It just means I can do it earlier than waiting for FTS. It also means I can find out the sex much earlier as a bonus.

So....why did you have the test? Why didn't you? Did the cost impact your decision? Or did you just suck up the extra  cost for peace of mind?

Thanks

#2 magalee

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

I had it at age 40 and it picked up a genetic issue.  I ultimately had a natural miscarriage a few days after I go the results but the results prepared me and I understood the reasons for what was happening.

So for me it would be a no-brainer.

The cost didn't impact me, I would do it again if I fell pregnant.  It was peace of mind even though the outcome was not great.

For a simple blood test I think it's worth it.  But that's just me!

#3 MillyM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

My last baby had a terminal illness. While she didn’t make it to birth, the NIPT gave us valuable information and helped us decide whether to do the amnio or not. I would always do one in future as I want as much information as possible to prepare me.

#4 Mooples

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

I was low risk (28 and no other risk factors) but my ob said it would eventually take over the combined test and he recommended it (though did give us the choice) so we did it. Given we went private anyway an extra few hundred didn’t make any difference to the thousands we were already spending. I have friends who have done it to find out the sex of the baby as early as possible and other friends not do it because of the cost.

#5 BluJay

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

I am fairly decided to do it, just not 100% sure ....

If it's trisomy 21 I would continue the pregnancy, if it was trisomy 18 or 13 I just couldn't do it :(

Magalee - sorry about your miscarriage. I'm sure the information was a tiny comfort at least in knowing why your baby didn't make it.

Molly - so sorry about your baby. I didn't realise it picked up other things. I really wanted to avoid amnio or CVS.

Yes, it's the having the information that is so valuable. To either prepare you before the birth, for poor outcomes during pregnancy or to make other decisions during pregnancy. But then, I think, if I don't know it's all out of my hands and I dont have to make any hard decisions!  :(

Edited by BluJay, 26 March 2018 - 04:01 PM.

#6 Cheesetoastie

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

Have you made a decision re NIPT Blujay?

I’m 38 and 7 (about) weeks pregnant with my third.  I will be booking in for the NIPT as soon as i’ve Had my dating scan.

Yes it’s expensive but I had it with both my previous pregnancies (at 34 and 36) and it was worth it for the peace of mind.  When I got it in 2014 it was still relatively difficult to access (my GP hadn’t even heard of it), but last time seemed to be more accepted.  And the cost has gone down a few hundred by now too.

Yes the cost is a factor (esp as this one is more than a little unplanned), but given the NFS result I got with my first put me at high risk 1/134 it was worth every dollar to not have to wait or go through an amnio. I had the 12week ultrasound but not the NFS done with number 2, and not sure what I’ll do this time - I want to know everything as it would have an impact on how I progress so i’ll probably do both.

PS: I don’t think it’s NFS but I can’t think what it actually is.  You know the nuchal measurement compared against blood work.  Sorry, baby brain is so much worse with #3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.