Best Sewing Machine for beginner

16 replies to this topic

#1 Newbutoldish

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

Is love some recommendations of the best/easiest to use sewing machine for a beginner to gain some confidence on?

#2 just roses

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

We have a pfaff and it’s great. Has a thing called IDT which makes it so easy to sew.

#3 Mands09

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:29 PM

I have a cheap janome one and it's good. You just need a base model of something to learn on. As long as it has a couple of stitch options, different feet attachments and a foot pedal and power you are good to go :)

#4 Sassy Dingo

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:40 PM

Aldi will probably have a sewing machine for sale around mother's day - they are rebadged Janome

#5 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

I have 2 sewing machines both singer that I’m learning on. First was $100 from lincraft just a base model and the second is the heritage. Mum gave it to me because she didn’t like it but I love it. My nephew has a cheap from target and loves it.

#6 emmiemimi

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

In 2016, I asked for a fancy sewing machineand my husband took me shopping (awww, isn’t he sweet?). I figured that because I used my sewing machine so much, I should invest in an expensive machine. I purchased a fancy Husqvarna Opal 690Q. I took the classes that came with it. It had lots of fancy stitches and all the bells and whistles.

I hated it.

If only someone had explained to me how to choose a sewing machine that met my needs– not theirs.
Buying the most expensive sewing machine with new-fangled features is not necessarily the best move you can make. Before buying a machine, always ask yourself what you’re going to use it for, whether or not you need all the extra features or if they are something you can live without, given the kind of tasks you intend to do with your machine. Also consider what future use you may have for the sewing machine. For instance, if you aren’t doing embroidery stitches now but you are planning to do so in the near future, then getting in a machine that can handle embroidery might be a good idea.
The best advice I can give is to look on Amazon (I know I know...local dealers are great too but the choice between machines is not the same). On Amazon you can kind read the reviews, and even test the machine during an entire month. Look at the ones I've selected for you on Amazon : https://goo.gl/rTs7j2

#7 chickendrumstick

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

I have a Janome, just the entry level model that is around $300 and it is a dream to sew with. My mother's Janome is 34 years old and still going strong, which is why she chose Janome for me nearly 10 years ago.

A friend has a Singer that she bought from Spotlight for about the same price and she has had a number of problems with various parts breaking and not working.

#8 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

Emmiemimi - your mistake was buying a sewing machine from a company that makes chainsaws!

I have an Elna because that's what my mum had.

#9 foom

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

I love Janomes and find them very reliable.

But if the beginner doesn't have someone close by to ask questions, get help etc then I think one of the most important things is finding a shop that will support a new sewer, and will happily talk you through what is good for a new sewer, give some intro lessons, maybe run the occasional simple class or some way to get help if they are getting overwhelmed. To me that is worth at least $50 if you can afford it.

But if they try to upsell you one with all the bells and whistles and they don't listen to you then run a mile.

#10 Schmig

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

I have had several different machines and personally think Janomes are the simplest and most reliable for beginners. You can get good deals around Christmas and Mother's day for them.

#11 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

I was recommended Janome when I asked a similar question of a friend who used to do some tailoring work.

#12 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

I have a very basic janome. It’s perfect. Easy to use and does a good job. It’s one step above their cheapest I think. Which just gives you a few more stitch options.

An old second hand janome in good condition can also be great for beginners. Like we had in sewing class back in the 90s, lol.

The Aldi one is good too, but my mums is a bit noisy.

#13 Lunafreya

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

I have a basic Singer. It is mechanical and does basic stitches including buttonholes. I use it to make my nice costumes and it does the job.

#14 red_squirrel

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

Not meaning to crash, but Are Brother machines any good?

I am also in the market for a new machine and have never used Brother before.

The one I have my eye on does all the basics, plus some fancy buttonholes etc. it’s about $500. I want it for just making clothes for me. No embroidery.

#15 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

I have a Bernina and absolutely LOVE it!

Don't go super cheap! I bought a $200 machine from Spotlight (thinking that was all I needed, didn't want to spend heaps) and took it back 3 days later as it was sh*t and unreliable. I ended buying one that had good tension, was reliable, had a reasonable range of basic stitches, did automatic buttonholes and didn't feel like it would walk off the table by itself!

#16 molinero

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 24 July 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

I have a Bernina and absolutely LOVE it!

Don't go super cheap! I bought a $200 machine from Spotlight (thinking that was all I needed, didn't want to spend heaps) and took it back 3 days later as it was sh*t and unreliable. I ended buying one that had good tension, was reliable, had a reasonable range of basic stitches, did automatic buttonholes and didn't feel like it would walk off the table by itself!

Yes I would definitely go one step up from the cheapest cheapest machine that is in the store.

I've had three so far. A mid-range Brother that lasted about 16 yrs. A cheap as chips Singer that was utter rubbish, and now a mid-range Elna which is a dream. No, you don't need a $1k sewing machine to learn on, but a $100 machine that performs like crap is false economy. Spotlight and the others do have very good sales a couple of times a yr

#17 Jbeep

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:26 PM

I got a pfaff select 3.0 for Mother's Day a few years ago.

I had only ever used my mothers singer, but it was  easy to pick up.

It's pretty easy to use and very tough, can sew through anything!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.