Elective c-sec as a public patient for psychological reasons?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dinomum1066

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

Hi there,
Just wondering what the requirements are to have an elective c-section as a public patient? I am unexpectedly pregnant and can’t see us being able to afford to go private. My last birth was highly traumatic and I developed severe PND which resulted in a two week stay in the psych ward. Medically I was cleared for another vaginal birth but mentally I don’t think I can go through that again, especially as this pregnancy isn’t planned. Has anyone had success getting an elective c-sec due to mental health reasons? Are there certain hoops that need to be jumped through?  

Thanks so much xx

#2 LouLou86

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

Hi,
I am not sure if there is a blanket rule and it may depend on where you are located but I think it is possible.
I lost twin babies at 5 months and had to birth each of them etc, 3 months later I was pregnant again with that baby due the same week I had had the twins. During the 3rd trimester was terrified of going into labour, on the same day, birthing in the same room with midwives who werent familiar with my back story. From approx 24 weeks I was seen by my own Dr (prior to this through high risk foetal medicine). Anyway cut to the chase I ended up being induced due to the reasons outlines above and having some control over the situation and my Dr even said if you want a cesarian we can give you one, but I really don't feel its needed as you are young, baby in good position etc. I think if I had said yes thats exactly what I want, it would have happened as I wasnt in a good position mentally, especially through the final 2 or so months. As my Dr said it was just as important that I be calm etc for the birth to go well.
All of this was a 100% public patient and I cant fault the public system, they were wonderful with their support I even had my own social worker. Currently booked in to have a another baby this year and again they've been great (all of this at the same hospital).
I think just be upfront at your initial booking in appointment with the midwives and make it 100% clear how you are feeling so it is flagged early and the hospital will do the best they can to support you.
Good luck! xx

#3 cfwact

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Your health includes your mental health. You already have a perfectly valid medical reason given your birth history. They should support you in your choices and ensure you are connected with psychological support as well. Wishing you  all the best with your pregnancy and birth :)

#4 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

It’s absolutely possible. Ask to speak to your hospital mental health workers and they can support you through the pregnancy and planning for birth. You don’t have to do this alone x

#5 nup

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

Yes I did for similar issues. There wasn't even really a discussion. Dr knew my history so asked which I preferred and I said CS. Done.

#6 Dinomum1066

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply - encouraged to hear your stories. Feeling a bit better more hopeful now  - thank you x

#7 lonestranger

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

Another one here who had an elective CS, mainly due to fear of pain and damage (vulvodynia sufferer here). I did also have GD, so I was offered induction or a CS date - they allowed me to take my time to decide, and I chose elective CS quite late in the day. Public hospital, and they were happy to do with what I was most comfortable with. All the best!

#8 blueskies12

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

I was in the exact same situation. I had a very traumatic first birth (vaginal) and suffered pna. Towards the end of my pregnancy, I was asked about the possibilities for birth and a ceasarean was offered. If it hadn't of been offered, I would have asked and they would have said yes, as on the form they wrote 'previous traumatic birth' for the reason. I had a caesar in December and it went beautifully. This was a public hospital in QLD. Follow your own instincts. I remember, after I had a discussion with the doctors, a midwife said to me, that your own mental attitude has a lot to do with the birth. I deep down knew that my anxiety was so strong, I wouldn't go into the birth thinking positively and with an open mind, I wouldn't be able to overcome it in the short period of time that I had, so the caesar was the best option. I hope that makes sense? Big hugs, a traumatic birth really does have a lasting impact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.