Is there a formula shortage?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#51 Starletta

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

View PostAdelTwins, on 03 April 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

I actually like the idea of a script based system. Linked to babies Medicare number, flags if you buy more than x tins per month.

Most ppl would see the Dr at birth, 2, 4 & 6 months for vaccinations anyway. Those who can't get vaccinated would be seeing the Dr frequently for other issues. Anti vaxxers would have to make a special trip.

I have a script for DS3 for 8 cans with 5 repeats. 40 cans which lasts me about 20 weeks as they are 1/2 sized cans. I'd rather be able to buy 8 cans at a time than drive round desperately searching for 1 or 2 cans at at time.

To the OP - bellamys, aptimal and A2 are cleared out of my local Coles every morning. (A2 goes first). The staff are powerless to stop them.

Unfortunately this wouldn’t suit the many parents who can only afford a tin or two at a time. There would be so many who can afford to go out and stockpile.

#52 AdelTwins

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

View PostStarletta, on 03 April 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Unfortunately this wouldn’t suit the many parents who can only afford a tin or two at a time. There would be so many who can afford to go out and stockpile.

Agree on this issue. But what if the script based tins were cheaper? You could still get them from Coles but they would be more expensive. You could also get Dr to write a script for 2 tins with 20 rpts too.

My formula is 3 times more expensive without a script.

#53 Gumbette

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

View PostCrazyone26989, on 02 April 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

We were just discussing this! When my husband and I have kids people will probably assume he's exporting it!

Yes!  When DS was comp feeding, I hated sending mum to the supermarket to buy formula in case she got death stares.  We also changed to Nan and had no problems with supply after that.

#54 lucky 2

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

Following on from the comment about all formula on prescription, maybe it would help in terms of controlling supply for Aus citizens but I don't think so in terms of needing to go to the Dr/GP for a prescription.
The amount of things they have to do in a day is nuts as it is (GP's and parents!), it's overkill.
Could be some sort of card from a MCHN/CHN re purchase of formula, or even from a Pharmacist for ease of use?
It could be completely neutral, just have your name, date (ie could be current for one year) and have nothing else identifying on it. A "formula card".
Maybe presented at point of sale, but that wouldn't work for a supermarket, self service checkouts.
Ah, it's a difficult issue.

#55 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

I actually like the idea of a script based system. Linked to babies Medicare number, flags if you buy more than x tins per month.

Most ppl would see the Dr at birth, 2, 4 & 6 months for vaccinations anyway. Those who can't get vaccinated would be seeing the Dr frequently for other issues. Anti vaxxers would have to make a special trip.

I have a script for DS3 for 8 cans with 5 repeats. 48 cans which lasts me about 24 weeks as they are 1/2 sized cans. I'd rather be able to buy 8 cans at a time than drive round desperately searching for 1 or 2 cans at at time.

To the OP - bellamys, aptimal and A2 are cleared out of my local Coles every morning. (A2 goes first). The staff are powerless to stop them.

How does that help you if it’s the middle of the night and you have a screaming baby and you just need some damn formula because quite frankly you are done?

So you have to wait to get into a doctor a few days later, in the meantime you are expected to do what? Just suck it up because that’s right you are a mother now and that’s we are meant to do even when it’s not the best interest for you, the baby or the household.

#56 AdelTwins

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:49 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 03 April 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

How does that help you if it’s the middle of the night and you have a screaming baby and you just need some damn formula because quite frankly you are done?

So you have to wait to get into a doctor a few days later, in the meantime you are expected to do what? Just suck it up because that’s right you are a mother now and that’s we are meant to do even when it’s not the best interest for you, the baby or the household.

I was actually suggesting that all babies have the script.

#57 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

View PostAdelTwins, on 03 April 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

New market. People buy scripts for other medications. This would be no different.

#58 Ellie bean

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

View PostAdelTwins, on 03 April 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Agree on this issue. But what if the script based tins were cheaper? You could still get them from Coles but they would be more expensive. You could also get Dr to write a script for 2 tins with 20 rpts too.

My formula is 3 times more expensive without a script.
The government has already tightened the screws on who can get subsidised prescription formula, I can't see them wanting to subsidise standard formula.

#59 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

View PostAdelTwins, on 03 April 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

Ok so would the system be able to be used anywhere?

We bought formula from a 24 hour servo half an hour from our house at 2am for our first.

That means all places that currently stock formula would need to be able to access Medicare cards.

#60 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

I have a script for DS3 for 8 cans with 5 repeats. 48 cans which lasts me about 24 weeks as they are 1/2 sized cans. I'd rather be able to buy 8 cans at a time than drive round desperately searching for 1 or 2 cans at at time.

My kids, and most kids round here, get vaccinated at the local council's free sessions. They probably went to an actual GP maybe 2 times in their first year.  Plus it would be a waste of the GP's resources.  Plus it would still bring possible shame to any parent that has to go to their Dr "oh and by the way i need a script for formula because i cant breastfeed" I know i felt like a failure at first.

All we need is a simple card issued by the birthing hospital or maternal child health nurse that allows you to buy as much formula as you need whenever you need it.

#61 AdelTwins

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 03 April 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

New market. People buy scripts for other medications. This would be no different.
At least an actual parent would be making some cash! And if it's linked to your babies Medicare number then it couldn't be transferred.

#62 Just Jack

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:57 AM

View Post~LM~, on 03 April 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

All we need is a simple card issued by the birthing hospital or maternal child health nurse that allows you to buy as much formula as you need whenever you need it.

Then there might just be a market for these cards, as not everyone would use them.

#63 Mollyksy

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

Nope. No to formula on script. Recall anyone the fiasco that has been codeine on script?

I don't immediate have the answer but I wish someone would get people in a room. Manufacturers and chinese repa. There has to be a way to supply with trust.

I feel for everyone here. But formula feeding is stigmatized enough without furthing shaming.

#64 needs to get out

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

View PostStarletta, on 03 April 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

What do you mean? Due to this issue?

Not due to this issue, but I have dealt with many mothers with children who can't afford formula to feed infants. It is comparatively expensive when the parents income is precarious.

Having a girl beg me for sugar from our tea room, which I eventually figured out was so she could put in a bottle of water for her 4 week old baby was a particularly memorable lowlight in inner city Melbourne. I sorted her out with formula and a social worker but gee whiz it upset me.

#65 MrsG2

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

View Postsuburban dystopia, on 03 April 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

Not due to this issue, but I have dealt with many mothers with children who can't afford formula to feed infants. It is comparatively expensive when the parents income is precarious.

Having a girl beg me for sugar from our tea room, which I eventually figured out was so she could put in a bottle of water for her 4 week old baby was a particularly memorable lowlight in inner city Melbourne. I sorted her out with formula and a social worker but gee whiz it upset me.

Omg that’s so sad😢

#66 Nobodyelse

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 03 April 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

That is exactly what happened to me with my first. I had been feeding for hours and he just wasn't stopping with the screaming. DH said 'I think we should try some formula.' Through sobs, I agreed. He ducked out to the 24hour Coles. Grabbed whatever he grabbed. Came home. DS drank a whole bottle and we all went to sleep.

Formula on script will not work. I'm not sure what the advocates are imagining but the only place that can dispense anything on script is a pharmacist at a pharmacy. Not 14yo Sally at the Coles check out at 7am on Sunday. Not Todd at the 7/11 at midnight on Tuesday. Not Kevin at the IGA in the middle of Nowherevill, NSW.

It is a dangerous and impractical solution.

#67 Helga Hufflepuff

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

View Postopethmum, on 02 April 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

The companies are importing directly into China and can get product there and they are also selling fresh diary milk too into the Chinese markets. I think that it is high time that both Governments need to crack heads together and work out the best arrangements for both countries.

I was reading an interesting article in the latest ABA magazine. One of the solutions they're working on is increasing breastfeeding rates in China to reduce reliance on formula. Apparently formula is seen as superior to breastmilk by many Chinese mums due to the way it's been marketed over the last few decades (among other reasons) and breastfeeding is often frowned upon. The thinking is that limiting formula purchases might help short term, but some massive cultural shifts have got to happen as well as formula supply can't keep up with current demand.

#68 Starletta

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

View Postsuburban dystopia, on 03 April 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

How devastating :(

#69 Starletta

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

View PostHelga Hufflepuff, on 03 April 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

I was reading an interesting article in the latest ABA magazine. One of the solutions they're working on is increasing breastfeeding rates in China to reduce reliance on formula. Apparently formula is seen as superior to breastmilk by many Chinese mums due to the way it's been marketed over the last few decades (among other reasons) and breastfeeding is often frowned upon. The thinking is that limiting formula purchases might help short term, but some massive cultural shifts have got to happen as well as formula supply can't keep up with current demand.

That is interesting. I feel like its the exact opposite here, and breastfeeding is deemed superior.

Did they say how they were trying to increase breastfeeding rates?

#70 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

View PostJust Jack, on 03 April 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

Then there might just be a market for these cards, as not everyone would use them.

Yes, it will slow down the OS trade, not stop it. Which is fine by me. The industry can support a large %age going overseas, they count on that volume to make their profits. it’s the current levels being exported that’s not working. Making it more difficult, (but not impossible) to on-sell formula will be a big win. It’s just too easy for them to completely empty the shelves at the moment.

#71 Gumbette

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

View PostHelga Hufflepuff, on 03 April 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

Apparently formula is seen as superior to breastmilk by many Chinese mums due to the way it's been marketed over the last few decades (among other reasons) and breastfeeding is often frowned upon.

Advertisements everywhere all linking formula with higher I.Q's.  They bordered on shaming you for not formula feeding.

#72 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:17 PM

View PostStarletta, on 03 April 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

What do you mean? Due to this issue?

Due to lots of issues including this one no doubt. There are so many vulnerable people out there. What is an inconvenience for me can be devastating for someone elsey

Edited in case my ramblings came across as being more agitated than I am.

Edited by Pooks Persisted, 03 April 2018 - 05:22 PM.

#73 Helga Hufflepuff

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

View PostStarletta, on 03 April 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

That is interesting. I feel like its the exact opposite here, and breastfeeding is deemed superior.

Did they say how they were trying to increase breastfeeding rates?

Yes, almost the exact opposite of Australia. I can't remember all the details (I was reading it in a waiting room) but I remember it mentioned regulating formula advertising so companies can't make outrageous claims, and working with Chinese authorities to provide access to breastfeeding information and support. One of the big challenges is that information is quite restricted in China so women can't just jump onto google if they want information, so lots of their infant feeding actually comes from formula ads.

#74 Starletta

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

Sorry Pooks, I have no idea what I have said to offend. I certainly didn’t mean anything by my posts.

#75 Lunafreya

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

Another thing against breastfeeding in China is much of the time the baby is looked after by the grandparents while both the parents work. And Chinese workplaces are not conducive to supporting a mother who wishes to continue to breastfeed after she goes back to work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.