Is there a formula shortage?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 Helga Hufflepuff

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 03 April 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

Another thing against breastfeeding in China is much of the time the baby is looked after by the grandparents while both the parents work. And Chinese workplaces are not conducive to supporting a mother who wishes to continue to breastfeed after she goes back to work.

Yes I'd forgotten that. And another issue was that many new mums observe a rest period after birth (I think a month?) where the family mostly look after the baby so the mum can rest, which would also make it hard to establish breastfeeding.

#77 Wonderstruck

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:32 PM

View Postnom_de_plume, on 02 April 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

Formula on prescription won't help.

4 years ago I had a script for lactose free formula, 5 tins at a time. I was lucky if a pharmacy actually had 5 tins on hand. I had to call the manufacturer (Karicare) and beg them to send a special order to the pharmacy a week before I needed my script filled, or spend hours calling around pharmacies and getting them to transfer stock between stores. It was a royal pain in the backside and extremely stressful.

The problem has been going on for long enough now. The Chinese and Australian governments need to intervene.

I’m currently having this issue with dairy free formula - im lucky my baby is 13 months (still has some formula as it’s her main calcium source) but other mums with younger babies have it harder. I got 3 tins filled from an 8 tin script on 12 March and they’re still on back order - our tins are also only 400g - the only way I’ve had enough is other mums who have had surplus when their baby hasn’t needed it.

Getting a script was so difficult - We had to try a variety of different formulas and be under the treatment of a paed gastro or allergist - that was after months of being told there was nothing wrong with my child etc. it was a draining and expensive exercise but necessary as such formula is $50-$60 for a tin half the size of a normal one without a script.

We don’t need to make it harder for formula feeding mums - there is enough breast is best stigma, expense and time expended.

What we need is greater focus on making enough for the mums here and regulation in others ways to prevent those making money out of this - whether it be at customs, having to confirm you have a baby at point of sale or something.

But it has to ensure that it doesn’t stigmatise mums who FF.

Edited by Wonderstruck, 03 April 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#78 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

View PostStarletta, on 03 April 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

Sorry Pooks, I have no idea what I have said to offend. I certainly didn’t mean anything by my posts.

I’m not offended, I’m just contributing to the conversation and saying that we can’t assume there aren’t babies being affected because people like us can work around it.

#79 Lunafreya

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

I also can sympathise with mums who had to get formula in the middle of the night as I was one of those mums! We ended up breastfeeding for 15 months. :)

#80 nom_de_plume

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

View PostWonderstruck, on 03 April 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

I’m currently having this issue with dairy free formula - im lucky my baby is 13 months (still has some formula as it’s her main calcium source) but other mums with younger babies have it harder. I got 3 tins filled from an 8 tin script on 12 March and they’re still on back order - our tins are also only 400g - the only way I’ve had enough is other mums who have had surplus when their baby hasn’t needed it.

Getting a script was so difficult - We had to try a variety of different formulas and be under the treatment of a paed gastro or allergist - that was after months of being told there was nothing wrong with my child etc. it was a draining and expensive exercise but necessary as such formula is $50-$60 for a tin half the size of a normal one without a script.

We don’t need to make it harder for formula feeding mums - there is enough breast is best stigma, expense and time expended.

What we need is greater focus on making enough for the mums here and regulation in others ways to prevent those making money out of this - whether it be at customs, having to confirm you have a baby at point of sale or something.

But it has to ensure that it doesn’t stigmatise mums who FF.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. It's exactly what I went through, often having to go to multiple supermarkets as well and pay what I was paying for 5 tins on script to just get one to tide me over.

We fortunately didn't have any issue getting an authority script though once DD was diagnosed as primary lactose intolerant. I too was told there wasn't anything wrong with her but I pushed and pushed because I was convinced there was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.