Investigating poor weight gain, CMPI

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FretfulMum

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:20 AM

DS1 has always been low in weight however, has recently dropped from the 15th centile to below the 3rd for weight. He was born premmie at 30wks & has cerebral palsy. He has seen a dietician in the past who recommended a high calorie, high protein diet. We have been following this since he was 1yo (he’s now 3). His Paed recommended we investigate further & first rule our CMPI. The only ‘symptom’ he has is that he tends to be constipated.

We have now been doing a dairy free diet for 2wks. It’s been hard. He isn’t accepting many foods with dairy alternatives due to taste differences. He’s hardly eating anything. I’ve not noticed any change in his poos. Now he is also sick with a cold & has barely eaten anything for 2 days.

I’m not really sure what ‘improvements’ to be looking out for with this diet change or whether I’d be able to see them yet? I’m thinking of calling his Paed tomorrow to ask if we can go back to a normal diet. I’m very worried he’s not getting appropriate/enough nutrients on this diet, particularly calcium. What would you do?

(As a side note, his younger brother has severe egg & nut allergies so I’m quite aware of poo & skin changes to watch out for)

Edited by FretfulMum, 04 April 2018 - 09:48 AM.

#2 FretfulMum

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:21 AM

Forgot to add, Paed wants us to try the dairy free diet for 1mth & we will return to see him then

#3 Wonderstruck

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:11 PM

My bub is CMPI not diagnosed until 8 months as her symptoms were subtle.

She was such an unsettled infant - her reflux was never even controlled on medication but according to the doctors it was behavioural/unsettled infant etc.

If it helps her symptoms were:
1. Slow weight gain - she was born 85th percentile and dropped down to 25th at one point - she didn’t track a percentile for ages;
2. Vomiting - she was a spewer and had reflux so we didn’t think anything of it- she still spews on a dairy free diet but not as much
3. Mucus poos or chronic constipation
4. Unsettled sleep
5. Constant screaming or grizzling.

She never had the blood in her poo, rashes or severe symptoms.

We saw a change within days but some kids take longer.

Are you giving Soy alternatives? My baby can’t handle Soy either as there is some cross reactivity for some babies.

In terms of alternatives we find the Nakula or Coyo yoghurts the nicest. We haven’t used the cheese alternatives.

We find almond milk and nuttlex good in baking.

We tend to find for most things it’s easier to just not use dairy than a substitute (zucchini slice made with creamed corn instead of cheese etc)

Not sure how long you should try but hopefully some survival tips - happy to help in anyway I can.

#4 FretfulMum

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Wonderstruck. I think I’m just doubting whether he has CMPI as if he does, his symptoms are very subtle. He has constipation but it’s not terrible. We need to give him a diet very high in fruit to keep him regular & occasional Coloxyl drops. He did have eczema as a baby. Again, it wasn’t severe & resolved on its own. He really hasn’t had any eczema for about 18mths. I don’t really recall what his poos we’re like as a baby unfortunately. I do recall he would wake up some nights screaming & do a large vomit which I thought was odd. But again, this hasn’t happened in 2yrs.

I contacted his Paed & he wants us to continue with the diary free diet. So I guess I’ll just push on & see what happens in 2wks time 🤷🏼‍♀️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.