Decluttering / Organising month

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#26 AuntyJJJ

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

I just moved 3 times in the past 6 months. We are all massive hoarders, but got a

macro system, to categorise things as using daily (in bedrooms) / monthly (in a spare room closet or garage or laundry) //  seasonally (in the new attic)

Then once there were items in the correct areas, I sorted for about 45 min at a time. It took 4 weeks.

A bag by the front door is for vinnies.

My desk is the last bastion. I think I need to work out what I actually need (ie a laptop, a box of usb keys and a few pens only) and redirect the rest of the stuff.

What does everyone do with photos?? I used to have a "love wall" in the corridor in our old house, but I like having the spare and sparseness without so many pics. Just a few on the fridge right now...and a few canvas prints in kids bedrooms...

#27 Minka1313

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

I definitely need this - may I join? We are moving next week and my intention was to declutter and reduce our stuff by 50-60% because we just have sooooooooooooooo much stuff. But (un)fortunately, I got a job and now I don't get anytime at home alone :o( Trying to sort and declutter with two little helpers aged 3 and 1 is almost impossible.  

I look forward to reading about everyone's process and progress!

#28 linen_and_lace

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

I spent a good few hours yesterday boxing up kitchen stuff/glassware/bits and pieces that we don't use or are no longer needed. Two big plastic boxes full to add to the garage sale collection. I feel like I can breathe just a little easier now. Will try to tackle some more tomorrow when DH is home to entertain the mini helper :)

#29 petal71

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the tech recycling tips. I like the idea o finding and destroying the hard drive - makes more sense than going through all files.

Today I spent about 2 hours tidying and cleaning my son's room - massive improvement, as it had not even been swept for 3-4 months so the amount of dust was ridiculous. I also started going through uni stuff and binning, and getting some more order into my desk. Desk will take at least 2 more hours though as lots more unit stuff.

I am finding putting a movie or something on the laptop while sorting through stuff is making the task a bit better.

#30 scooty

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:46 PM

Right! Aswell as decluttering my pantry, I put Seasol on my trees in my back garden (30 of them!!!), so I can watch them green up over the coming month as I clean up the rest of the house. I also did a massive clean up of broken hose, that my puppy has chewed up. After that I called the council and organised a hard waste collection for next Wednesday, so that will give me motivation to do a big cull over the coming days. House should look better by Wednesday - and a bit cleaned out :)

#31 *cough*

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

This thread has motivated me to do a bit today too just a few 15 minute jobs.

What's everyone's weekend plans?

#32 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostLilith2112, on 05 April 2018 - 04:15 PM, said:

Upside is that I have found about $20 in loose change!  Keep waiting for larger amounts to appear, so onward cleaning I go.

I found over $150 in coins around the house.

I went extreme.... we moved out to a smaller apartment for the year which will only fit so much. So removalists only moved essentials back in late January.

Then February was dedicated (while kids were at school) to me sorting out crap from the house. Unfortunately only so much fit in recycle bins and rubbish bins each week, so not as much done every day as I wanted. Bootloads donated, stuff recycled etc. 2 weeks ago vinnies came and collected some furniture but would not take tall furniture or bedframes, so I started to list on gumtree for free and a guy within 2mins called to say he wanted one item and when I mentioned the rest I was going to list he took it all.

Council cleanup was ths week so most final stuff gone.

Just need to finish the kitchen stuff that is on the benches (everything out of cupboards). Majority of items will be bin, some in box to keep. DH is taking the crystal glasses to his mum's house.

So challenge is to keep small apartment tidy and decluttered. DS1 (12) who now has own room is doing really well.

Rule for the apartment is everything has a place and everything in its place.... plus nothing comes in unless it has a home.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 07 April 2018 - 12:09 PM.

#33 Julie3Girls

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

I’ll join! Might make me a bit accountable and motivate me!
I’m current,y struggling a bit with depression and anxiety. And the state of the house makes it worse.
Which in turn makes it harder to find the motivation.

15minute block sounds doable.

#34 *cough*

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

As I did each normal daily thing today I took longer and tidied/declutterred/culled.

Freezer sorted, courtyard swept and dead plant binned, sorted laundry cupboard when putting on washing, tidied bookshelf and De cluttered baby food books to donate pile.

I really need to do the Tupperware cupboard today too.

Pretty happy with my efforts.

The whole 15 minute thing makes it feel a lot more manageable.

How's everyone else going?

#35 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

I should say my moving to an Apartment for the year is so our house 2/3 knockdown and extend/renovate this year. Builders expect 6-9m build, we would need a 12m lease so have used time at the front end to declutter. Fingers crossed builders don't go overtime.

#36 ceeshell

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

Ok, I did my wardrobe. Now I have to get two bags to the charity bin.
Next project: the kids rooms.

#37 Staying Strange

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:18 AM

DH and I did our wardrobes nd DVDs/CDs yesterday, and I did our towels, laundry and cleaning products.

DH even went to Bunnings yesterday to grab some tubs to use as drawers in our shelves to make it look neater! It looks so much neater and manageable now. And everything is folded and has a place.

We have our council pick up booked for 24/4 so that's good for keeping us on track as we've already donated/sold most of what is in adequate condition to pass on.

We did a cursory pass through of the kids toys and removed broken/damaged items. But we will need to do a thorough review with the kids and remove toys and books that are no longer used.

It's good hearing everyone's progress - it's great for motivation:)

#38 Staying Strange

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

Veritas Vinum Arte we rented for almost 2 years while we built and did the same as what you're planning. We lived in small houses and used it as an opportunity to minimise and work out what we needed. It was great and worked really well.

We've been here 12 months now and I can honestly say we have the least amount of stuff we've ever had... even though we now have 3 kids!

I'm just doing a freshen up Dr clutter at the moment and it's so easy compared to what it used to be like. Good luck

#39 AuntyJJJ

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:34 AM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 07 April 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

I should say my moving to an Apartment for the year is so our house 2/3 knockdown and extend/renovate this year.

Make sure when you get into your new place (congrats!!) you don't get all emotional and buy unecessary things.

The best decluttering thing I have done so far (as well as the One Drawer At A Time method) is commit to the Thoult Shalt Not Go To Kmart, H&M, Target. It helps not bring more junk into the house....

#40 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:08 AM

As I said everything must have a place before it comes in. This will still be rule for new house.

Kmart, H&M and Target I don't have much trouble with anyway.

It has more been emotional and "but what if I need it" type things. So being emotional has gone, getting rid of broken items which I was keeping because Y gave it to kids has been done. Donating birthday presents we do not need or want. Getting out of the keeping because we may need it at some point in the distant future gone..... sure I did get caught out recently when DS1s easter play costume which had not been used in 4 years was tossed.... and DS2 this year had role I was like "d'oh" but it was less than $20 to replace.

#41 Lilith2112

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

I second the emotional sorting, I finally after 25 years have thrown away quite a bit of stuff, letters from my best friend which we have decided to get rid of, old invites stuff that used to make me go oh remember the old days.  No more!

So update - now at about $130 in loose change.  I went to the bank and got coin bags to sort :)

Today I will finish off my wardrobe, its been massive as hey, the wardrobe is massive.  I have managed to cull about 70%!

Op shop loves me:)

Rest of today, the dreaded sock test.  I am sorting through DF's sock drawer.   See you on the flip side.

#42 Staying Strange

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:24 AM

Yesterday I completed the twins room, our papers, stationery, books, my fabric stash, some pantry categories and electronic packaging DH keeps (along with some electronics, but they're not finished yet).

Today will be much slower, I'm home with the kids and we need to cook lunches and breakfasts tonight once they're in bed so I probably won't get anything done until Thursday as I'm back at work tomorrow.

Hope everyone is happy with their weekend progress.

#43 gogoface

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

I'm in! I've been doing a bit this month already after DH and I decided to overhaul the house and change all the rooms about.

I have SO much stuff, but am pretty good/non emotional about getting rid of it. DH has way less but definitely has hoarder tendencies.

I like the 15 minute/set a timer idea! I'm going to try that tonight.

My problem is when I've sorted it into the sections - actually doing the follow through. ie, I have:
1. bin,
2. recycling,
3. opshop/buy nothing/pay it forward stuff/give away,
4. things to sell and
5. things to keep (but sort out)
- those last two really get me stuck.

I now just have suitcases of things I need to photograph and sell, and a big box of stuff 'to be sorted and put away'. The put on the internet process and deal with people haggling part is so annoying but I definitely need to make some money back!

#44 gogoface

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Also:

Getting rid of old tech stuff - is there a specific way to dispose of this safely? Or a way to donate for re-use? Old camera chargers, battery packs, phones, laptops etc?

#45 Lilith2112

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

file:///thehumortrain/photos/a.126895770717807.28294.126894987384552/2037875422953156/?type=3

hope this works - I am hopeless and this is my first time in trying to put a link up... but I thought of this thread :)

#46 petal71

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

I couldn't get it to work, Lilith. How's everyone going?
I have a had a couple of days off as it's been my son's birthday party and that was full on organising! Back into it next week. Unfortunately more toys now!

#47 Etcetera

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

I've had a rotten headache all day so nothing done, however the past two days I've half cleaned up three bedrooms - a huge tub full of toys ready to donate, 3 bags of rubbish.

#48 Hands Up

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:55 PM

I tackled my wardrobe today. Five items binned and fifteen items put in the charity bin.

I do this regularly but I haven’t tackled the bathroom cabinets in a while so that’s my next task...

#49 Staying Strange

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

I did my work desk today while on hold! The benefits if having a head set.

I'll get stuck into the house again  over the weekend. Only 2 weekends left until our council clean up so need to stay focused!

#50 Staying Strange

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:25 PM

How'd everyone go today?

DD and I cleared her wardrobe and the toy room (with some help from the twins!). I also got plasticware done and another pantry category.

Tonight once the kids are down I'm hoping to tackle dog stuff, cars and garage.

Tomorrow I want to try to complete desk, medicine cabinet and craft supplies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.