Decluttering / Organising month

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#51 Freddie'sMum

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:03 PM

We are IN.

My anxiety and depression is deeply linked to the state (total mess and disorder) of our house.

Today DH and I cleared out our front door / entry to the house. Two giant plastic tubs full of crap have been sitting there for over 6 years !  A huge desk that took up most of the space.  These have all gone.

I got DD#1 to sort out a pile of old school work and magazines. Off to recycling for them.  For the first time in over 6 years our entryway actually looks nice.

Both girls want to buy more toys and stuff over the school holidays.  I now have a rule. Before 1 thing comes into the house, 2 things must leave.  The amount of toys / plastic crap in our house is mind boggling - and it gets me down.

Like I said, we are IN. I don't want to live like this anymore.

#52 Etcetera

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Great job, Freddiesmum.
I feel the same re anxiety over the house. Wanting to sell and move has given me the motivation to get jobs done.

Our big win for today was finding all the painting stuff we need already in the garage except for the coloured paint (all brushes, undercoat, trim paint and tape)!

#53 linen_and_lace

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

We did well today. Cleaned out some unused toys from DD's room and did a bit of a rearrange so there is nothing on the floor. DH worked on the study and also got rid of a bit of rubbish that had started piling up on the back deck. We even managed to dust/clean bathroom/do the floors!

#54 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:09 AM

Will you accept a late addition to the party?

It took me 2 days to do the pantry.  Partly because I’m slow, but also I had a boy who was very upset that we’d gone over our internet data limit and was a n my face so we left the house.

I actually photographed the contents.  Sounds like an overkill but when you consider the excessive multiples I found this s should help in not buying stuff we’ve already got and figuring out what we will have to eat.

My issue is always the final discard.  I’ve already got stuff ready to go out but I hang onto it in a cupboard or garage or somewhere just because I’m not sure where to send it.

Today I’ll do the rumpus room.  The cupboards are already sorted - did that a few months back but somehow there’s 3 or 4 washing baskets full of crap in there.  Plus guinea pigs, but I’ll keep those

#55 seemingly

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:00 PM

So I decided to film myself doing some cleaning. Inspired by this thread.

https://youtu.be/E_9UmieGRwM

#56 Etcetera

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 15 April 2018 - 06:09 AM, said:

My issue is always the final discard.  I’ve already got stuff ready to go out but I hang onto it in a cupboard or garage or somewhere just because I’m not sure where to send it.

This is my issue too. I box stuff up and take it down to the garage and then it sits there's forever!
I now put any donation stuff right in front of the door or straight in the car so it goes out next time we go out.

Just yesterday I found a box of toys in the garage that should've gone out in the last salvos run. Two boxes to go now!

#57 meljbau

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

I am such a horder, but my daughter has been inspired to declutter and she brings things to me to decide whether they'll be kept or got rid of and I say yes or no like the queen on her throne without doing any of the work.

On the weekend "I", (well, my daughter really) got rid of a whole washing basket load of shoes, some I hadn't seen for years because they'd been hiding in the dark recesses of my wardrobe.

She's done most of my wardrobe, done the shoes, done the bed linen and tells me she's ready to re-do my drawers again. I sound awfully lazy, but like others in this thread have been battling depression and anxiety and a chronic pain condition and my daughter actually is having the time of her life. I don't know where she came from, but perhaps I should hire her out!

#58 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 15 April 2018 - 06:09 AM, said:

Today I’ll do the rumpus room.  

:rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, nah.

#59 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:17 PM

View Postseemingly, on 15 April 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

So I decided to film myself doing some cleaning. Inspired by this thread.

https://youtu.be/E_9UmieGRwM

Where's part 2!

#60 spr_maiden

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

View Postmeljbau, on 16 April 2018 - 11:27 AM, said:

I am such a horder, but my daughter has been inspired to declutter and she brings things to me to decide whether they'll be kept or got rid of and I say yes or no like the queen on her throne without doing any of the work.

On the weekend "I", (well, my daughter really) got rid of a whole washing basket load of shoes, some I hadn't seen for years because they'd been hiding in the dark recesses of my wardrobe.

She's done most of my wardrobe, done the shoes, done the bed linen and tells me she's ready to re-do my drawers again. I sound awfully lazy, but like others in this thread have been battling depression and anxiety and a chronic pain condition and my daughter actually is having the time of her life. I don't know where she came from, but perhaps I should hire her out!

Not lazy at all!
My youngish mum (who died a year ago) had chronic pain conditions which affected her mobility, and hoarding tendencies. Add to that failing eyesight from illness and decluttering was too overwhelming.

So regularly on a visit, I'd clear out the fridge, a bathroom cabinet, box in the garage.
It felt good to do that for the woman who raised me and tolerated me in my teens/early 20s 😉.
Let her do it!

#61 Staying Strange

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:42 PM

School holidays not the right time for the rumpus room HJ?

Today I did the garage, the dump zone on ybr kitchen bench, most sentimentals, the top of my wardrobe and my craft supplies. I've now completed 2/3 of my categories I wanted to get done...  and the remaining ones are all pretty easy in that they're mostly utiliy categories so I don't have to worry about emotions or sentiment too much.

#62 Staying Strange

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

After the kids went to bed I managed to get done the medicine cabinet and our "misc" cabinet above the oven....DH is noticing things are much easier to find and access around the house now, and the kids must be too, Miss 4 asked me this morning "do my baby's clothes go in the pink cube or the green one" when packing up this morning:)

#63 Staying Strange

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

How is everyone going?

Since my last post I've done the back verandah, dog stuff, my car, the spare room and outside toys. And yesterday DH did the shed.

We put every thing out for the cleanup today and the amount of stuff we weren't able to donate/sell/recycle etc is both embarrassing and horrifying at the same time.

I don't think we're finished completely yet, though some categories definitely are others are proving harder to complete. But we're making good progress and *maintaining* it which feels great

#64 linen_and_lace

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

I've stalled :(
Lack of motivation probably stems from the fact that DH has been sick all week, and we've had another bad run with DD's sleep.
Maybe this week...

#65 petal71

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

Havent done as much as Id like due to school hols and multiple birthdays. Today I did my bedside table, which is always shocking, and am keeping on with the desk. I have done about 1/8 of the huge wardrobe in which we have craft stuff, camping stuff, and all sorts of other crap. Hope to get more done this week.

#66 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

I did the interior of my car this week. Totally cleaned it out and then took it for a detailed wash, feels like a new car (140,000 kms).

Also down to the last box in the house. Just need to go through all the old glasses and glasses boxes and some random electronic cables.

#67 jkate_

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:05 PM

I'm trying to commit to myself that for every new thing that comes in, at least two leave the house.

On Thursday i bought a new book, today i dropped off nine for a second hand book drive at my local Woolworths.  Yesterday I bought a new shower rack, the old one got tossed plus a few things that were on it that I wasn't using.

I am hoping to keep this up, asking myself what I am willing to toss whenever I want to buy something new.

#68 spr_maiden

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:02 PM

Laundry is half done.  Got new shelves and baskets which helped me organise the space into a more functional area. Started going through the linen cupboard for excess  to donate.  Need to finish that tomorrow.  Plus have two baskets of random crap to sort.  

Tidied DS' room and feel like a more thorough cull could be done in there. We sold/donated/threw out a bunch of toys etc in January.  But I'm keen to go through it all again. Have to redo our bedroom cupboard first though.  So will do that Thursday/Friday.

#69 seemingly

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:03 PM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 16 April 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

Where's part 2!
Due to popular demand, lol. More cleaning and some decluttering of clothes.

https://youtu.be/tSO-pjymbts

#70 Hands Up

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

Today I tackled the kids toys. A shopping bag full of broken bits and pieces in the bin and complete sets of toys packaged up for friends and the charity bin.

I also went through DS1s winter clothes from last year, ready for DS2. Threw a few things out and everything else nicely organised in DS2s cupboard.

A satisfying day!

#71 Hands Up

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

Oh, still need to tackle the bathroom cupboards.

#72 notsoretro

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Mine is not so much decluttering but tackling a feral microwave. It really was dreadful, but 2 lots of attention with the angry mama and a flylady purple rag and it's looking really good now

#73 ghost_cat

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

We are moving house and I am re-assessing what 'needs' to come with us. I unexpectedly found that there is joy in giving away or selling items and that you get to met some lovely people. I approached a quilting group about donating some completed needlework to find out that they were delighted to have it as they donate finished quilts to the oncology ward at the local children's hospital. I sold an old 'moustache' teacup for a nominal sum and got chatting to a collector who was besotted with the addition to his collection. An old exercise bike that we wanted to giveaway led to someone who gave us an expensive bag of dog food because it had a tear in it and they couldn't sell it. Meeting some lovely people has made it much easier.

#74 raspberry sherbert

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

seemingly - Thank you for sharing your videos.

#75 seayork2002

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

I am doing what I call decluttering / organizing by proxy (not technically correct) but while I am at work DH is doing it.

He has done the laundry today and we did the hall last week but that is now bad again.

He is going to tackle my baking cupboard next

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.