Decluttering / Organising month

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 **Xena**

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

I did a massive declutter 2 years ago and the house has been pretty good. Currently have been doing our shed though, and some of that has come into the house so I've been reorganising things and making some of my storage look nicer.

Spent the weekend making pretty my kitchen shelves thanks to Moccona Coffee jars and KMart :D Excuse the lack of cornices, we've been slowly renovating and have been putting that off :lol:

Posted Image

#77 raspberry sherbert

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:30 PM

Looks great Xena! Love your kitchen.
I have been watching youtube videos of people cleaning their houses after seemingly posted hers. I have spent a lot of time watching them over the past few days but the bonus is I have  been motivated to clean my own house. I will be continuing on this month

#78 linen_and_lace

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

I will be continuing on this month too. Didn't get as much done as I would have liked last month...illness and lack of sleep got the better of me. But some progress is better than none. Hope to make more of a dent in May.

#79 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

This month I’ve done the pantry- I actually didn’t throw out much, but I did take photos of it all, the idea being I can see what’s in there without actually being there.

I also did the bottom draw of the freezer, put the contents into bags and labelled them.  That way I can just grab a bag out rather than rummaging through the lot.

I also labeled part of the pantry.

I’m should finish off the freezer and do the tea/coffee cupboard

#80 spr_maiden

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

I decluttered most of the kitchen yesterday. All the random stuff hidden on the top of the fridge, the cupboard tops and donated a bunch of glasses, crockery, pots/containers etc. Did the fridge.
Moved some shelving out to make more room, rearranged like mad.
Just need to go through pantry thoroughly next.

This week also culled DD's clothes and a few shelves of books/toys and such. Moved shelves out of DS' room so did a rearrange in there.
Went through piles of old magazines in the cupboard to get rid of.

#81 raspberry sherbert

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

I have been deep cleaning and decluttering the kitchen today too. I am almost done in the there.

#82 seemingly

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

View Postraspberry sherbert, on 02 May 2018 - 11:30 PM, said:

I have been watching youtube videos of people cleaning their houses after seemingly posted hers.
Oh no! You're trapped now, there are SO MANY good ones out there xD I might make another video of me finishing off my room. Still haven't got around to the paper stuff and the drawers of my vanity...

#83 raspberry sherbert

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

Thank you seemingly- It was just the cleaning motivation I have needed for years. I didn't know this existed. I used to watch How Clean Is your house episodes on youtube for inspiration. Would love to see another video of yours? I didn't realise till the second video that we used to have the same bedsides and mirrored drawers (my kids called it the piano)

#84 Lilith2112

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:00 PM

Going to check that out now.

My month expanded to this month BUT!  My wardrobe is now colour coded, massively reduced and my nieces have benefitted from clothes I never thought they would like.  Win!

I felt great as at the same time our local community was look for really good winter coats for the homeless for a reputable place so i was able to donate my really nice, albeit older, quality coats I used to wear in the UK.  things that i wanted to go to a good cause, and not for someone to upsell on Ebay.

I think the ultimate compliment was today when DF was looking for something he opened his "drawer" of crap which is now empty, along witih several other drawers in the kitchen.  

He has now as of this week caught the bug and - retiled the roof to rotate the tiles (100 year old heritage house), painted the house (not a mean feat as we are on a hill and two storey in places) and repainted and cleaned the gutters ready for winter.

It has been so good to do this all as how relaxed we are feeling.  We have been here 8 years soon and its as much work in one week as 8 years!

#85 raspberry sherbert

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

Looks like I am back for June, probably the rest of the year truthfully, not a lot got done in May. We are moving at the end of our lease so want to go thru the whole house and decluttering before I start packing.

#86 Lilith2112

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

I am back too!  We were in bed quite early last night so up nice and early today and I have already cleaned my office here at home, sorted, tidied and updated that area.

It is lots easier now that we have been keeping things to a minimum after the huge start of declutter.  

Keep going and good luck!

#87 JediMaster

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:37 PM

We moved around our lounge room furniture the other weekend. So while we were at it we did a bit declutter in both our lounge rooms. DH and I are both feeling more relaxed- amazing really what a tidy space can do to your mood (and the reverse I suppose!).
I would like to ditch all the dvds and CDs but I’m getting resistance. They might have to go via the shed- once the stuff is in the shed, DH gets sick of it eventually!

#88 petal71

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:15 PM

I didn't do much last month but keen to start again. We have a Council clean up next week so will chuck out heaps for that. Struggling with motivation for books, pantry etc though.

#89 jkate_

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:37 PM

I read the Konmari book over the last week and I think the book flicked a switch in my brain!  To do everything by the letter in the book would be way too overwhelming but the idea of thanking items, letting go, getting joy out of being able to visually see everything in draws is satisfying.

I just put a basket of washing away, in it I had underwear, pyjamas and shirts.  Before I put each category away I pulled everything out of the draws they would theoretically belong in and culled.  By the end it was quite easy!

I have two giant shopping bags to get rid of now.  I am thinking instead of binning or donating to charity to just take to H+M for their fabric recycling?  Very conscious that little of this stuff would be any good for an op shop.  Has anyone done this?

#90 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

slowly slowly here. we are very successful at not bringing more stuff in but still tackling all the stored stuff.

#91 raspberry sherbert

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

I have started packing. We are moving in 8 weeks so I am ruthlessly decluttering and packing.

#92 Etcetera

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

How is everybody going?

We are hoping to have the house on the market next week so I'm frantically decluttering. We have so much stuff. So. Much.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.