Best wipes for newborns

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamingofanother

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

Hi All,
Just buying the essential for the first month of bubbas life (I'm 30 weeks pg now) and was wondering what wipes to buy - there are so many choices!!!
Any recommendations would be most welcome
TIA

#2 Ellie bean

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

I'd go for plain non fragranced non scented wipes- the huggies scented ones gave my baby (and my hands!) a rash, we ended up with cheap plain kmart brand ones which were much better

#3 linen_and_lace

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

Water Wipes. No scent, no nasties. Just water and about 0.1% fruit extract which acts as a preservative. Although a little on the expensive side, we found them to be very good. At one point we were buying them in bulk - from Mighty Ape I think - which worked out to be a bit more economical.

Edited by linen_and_lace, 14 April 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#4 Ollie83

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

I'm in a similar spot to you, I've heard good things about the Water Wipes and have purchased a few different more natural/low chemical types just to see what works for baby I figure we can always get more we just have enough to get us going. I don't want to bulk but I case there's a reaction.

#5 Ozquoll

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

I like the Curash non-scented ones. I also found Babylove nappies seemed to have better airflow than huggies or other brands, so my son got nappy rash less often.

#6 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

Best wipes are no wipes, water and cloth is best. Especially if they have sensitive skin. When nappy rash breaks out a bum-bath over a sink and a gentle dry with a cloth nappy works really well. This is what they did in “the olden days”

But of course that’s hardly convenient!.  So I like the huggies unscented ones. The material they are made of really grabs the poo. I’ve tried other wipes, including water wipes mentioned above, and they don’t grab the poo and dirt as well, just push it around, which means you have to wipe and wipe to get their bum clean. And my kids have sensitive skin, so the less physical wiping I have to do the better.  I can do a whole poo-bum with just two huggies wipes (sometimes just one!). They’re pretty good.

Second choice, curash brand were pretty good.

#7 Hayliah

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

I found curash best for Bub during newborn stage (gentler on sensitive new skin), switched to huggies once a bit older as found better to clean up poo with less wipes

#8 ali-song

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

We found the best were IKEA kids washcloths (they come in 10 packs and are nice and big) and plain old water. So much better at cleaning up major messes than any disposable wipe! For on the go, we liked the Kirkland brand wipes from Costco.

#9 babybug15

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

Washcloths/cloth wipes work fine when you're at home.

For out and about we usually use Naty brand. At childcare they use Waterwipes.

#10 shellymabelly

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

We've always used Curash soap and fragrance free for my sensitive skinned bubs. Read something the other day that soap based wipes are a contributor to eczema in babies as the soap removes the natural barrier on their skins.

#11 skicat

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

New research indicating the use of baby wipes and soaps possibly damaging the protective barriers of the skin and possibly contributing to the increased rate of food allergies in children. Interesting idea.

#12 AdelTwins

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

Sorbolene cream and tissues for newborns. Move onto wipes when babies skin has toughened up. Goes from flaky and red to a normal skin tone after a month or so.

We did use a few wipes for the black poos though! The hospital provided those ones.

#13 l-m-n-o-p

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

I used Huggies Unscented - bought in the bulk (I think it was a pack of 380) and decanted to a re-usable smaller container for out and about.

I am sensitive to fragranced products and these are widely available so if I ran out I just had to go to Woolies to get them.

#14 *Andi*

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

We use cloth Cheeky Wipes at home, I love them. Out and about or if I haven't prepared the Cheeky Wipes we use water wipes as I don't like the idea of using chemicals. I find them great, I only need to use one, maybe two for poo.

#15 Hibiscus123

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

We use the Aldi thick unscented wipes - a cheaper alternative to the Huggies ones.

Re the really cheap stuff - you’ll need to check where they’re made and decide whether you’re comfortable with that.

#16 *Melstar*

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

I like the bulk pack of unscented wipes from Aldi. We have wipes containers that we then put them into. If I can't get to Aldi, then Curash and Huggies - always with no scent.

Just a tip - I don't know anyone who has used Johnson and Johnson baby product anything, with success. We were given so much of it. And we threw it all out. Caused dry skin / rashes / eczema for us.

#17 IamtheMumma

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

Unsented Aldi. They frequently come in a box with 6 packets for $10.

Otherwise, cloth wipes and water.

#18 Fresh Start

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

View Postali-song, on 14 April 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

We found the best were IKEA kids washcloths (they come in 10 packs and are nice and big) and plain old water. So much better at cleaning up major messes than any disposable wipe!

I got a cheap ten pack from BigW and used water.

When going out I had a plastic toiletry bag I put the dampened wash cloths in and another one for putting them in after use. Given I used cloth nappies it was no extra work.

Edited by Fresh Start, 14 April 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#19 Overtherainbow

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

We made our own for home. White flannel or cloth nappies cut (all white so that we knew where they belonged) placed in an ice cream container with chamomile tea. The chamomile tea soothes any nappy rash.

With current research possibly pointing to a link between wipes and allergies, I'd be avoiding of possible. We used purchased wipes when out and about though.

#20 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

Like some PP we just used water with a bit of sorbeline cream. We purchased some flannel at Spotlight and then cut up into squares.

Like PP when out just used tissues and sorbeline cream.

My kids had really sensitive skin. Years ago when older brand changed their formulation and child ended up with chemical burns on their bum.... all blistered cracking skin.

#21 Mumma bug

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

Huggies unfragranced were fine for my newborn but gave me dermatitis. I switched ro the Red Nose unscented ones and they’ve been great. I get them in bulk from the Aussie Wipes website, but Big W also have them

#22 Hands Up

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

We use wipes for dirty nappies only and after trying a few now use the unscented little ones brand you buy from Woolworths. Otherwise a chux run under warm water and then straight in the wash. I find chux can last many, many washes! We use red for nappies and blue for hands and face after meals.

#23 lucky 2

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

It sounds like more research needs to be done into the ? link btn what is put on baby skin and allergies etc.
https://www.sciencea...nfant-allergies

#24 ~J_F~

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:11 PM

You could make you own.

They are pretty easy to do and to make them transportable you just tear a few off and carry them in a water proof container/bag in the nappy bag.

#25 Grrrumbles

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

Curash Soap Free for us. I have sensitive skin but I don’t find the very mild fragrance on this one a problem. Have used them for 8 years, always regret it when I buy another brand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.