Is this a prolapse?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mcejuan

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:43 PM

Ugh, with this pregnancy it just feels like one thing after another..

I gave birth three days ago. I had a pretty easy Vaginal birth - no stitches or grazes or forceps or anything. Felt pretty good down there actually. Came home from hospital today to my 18 month old so was on my feet probably more than I should be - I sneezed and felt a bit funny down there since. It does feel slightly bulging. Do I have a prolapse? I’m just worried it’s not a typical birth thing because I didn’t really feel like that before today. Is it possible for this to happen? Please help

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

I’d say it’s entirely possible. Take it easy, rest, speak to the midwife or child health nurse when she calls around.

Above all rest, do not lift your 18month old. I would see a medical professional but maybe in a few days.

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

Could be a prolapse, could also just be a bit of post birth weakness and swelling, it’s still very soon after birth. I’d see a women’s physio for a check up in a few days when you feel up to it, they recommend you start pelvic floor excersises straight away these days. So get your pelvic floor working too.

And take it easy, you need to recover as well.

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:19 PM

Take a look with a mirror if you can. You will often be able to see if there is a prolapse.
Remember it is not the birth that will cause this but the pregnancy itself.

When you rest, rest with your feet up and try ( I know it is difficult) to do your pelvic floor exercises and chat to your visiting midwife.
Take care.

#5 lozoodle

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

Maybe, but take it easy and you should heal up a bit (as in it won't be so swollen etc and "out there"), its only a few days in.

I had a pap recently and my dr said I had a slight prolapse (had no idea - the baby is 5!). She then said also "pretty much unavoidable after 3 to not have a tiny bit of one" hehe

Edited by lozoodle, 20 April 2018 - 08:43 PM.

#6 mcejuan

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:08 AM

From my research I am thinking it’s a Rectocele. I have the back ache and at the end of my pregnancy I got a nasty bout of constipation from Zofran and since then when I go it needs to be manually removed (sorry TMI). When i pass wind for feel I need to poo, I feel the bulge. It’s probably been there at the end of the pregnancy I just didn’t really notice it.
I only got out of hospital today. Do I need to get onto this ASAP? It feels uncomfortable. I’m worried it’s going to start causing me constipation.

#7 imme

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

See a really good pelvic floor physio.

I got a prolapse after my first baby and honestly have way less problems now 8 years down the track after I saw a great physio.  She told me to stop doing a LOT of things at home.

I'm very lucky to have such a supportive husband because stopping those things and having him take over them instead has meant I haven't even noticed my prolapse in I don't even know how long.  Before I would feel it every single day.

I'm sure after the birth of this baby and while breastfeeding it will be back at least in some form, but the difference being careful in what I do on a daily basis has made is huge.

#8 JomoMum

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

I noticed the same thing after my birth, though I had an assisted delivery. I had a rectocele.

I mentioned it to my OB at my 6 week check and he sent me to a women’s health physio.

I don’t think it’s something you need to act on urgently, but mention it to your health care provider next time you see one. And definitely try to avoid straining, picking up children, on the toilet.

It won’t cause constipation in itself, unless you start holding on for fear of any pain etc.

#9 Soontobegran

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

There is no need to act on this immediately, give your body some time to get it's hormones in place and it may reduce a little spontaneously.

Try to keep well hydrated to reduce constipation and make an effort to put your feet up when feeding, watching TV etc.
Wait until your post natal visit as that will give you a better idea of what options you have.

Oh......don't forget your pelvic floor exercises. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.