Stage 3 formula

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MrsG2

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

What are people’s view on using stage 3 toddler milk formula for 12months olds ? I can’t find much information about what it provides for toddlers in comparison to regular fresh cows milk.. the calorie content seems about the same ... dh thinks we should slowly move DS onto fresh milk and start him on toddler formula first ... I think DS should be ok, he doesn’t have much problem with eating /drinking .

Also curious as to how much milk most 12 month olds drink? DS has about 500-600 mls a day, just hoping it’s not too much for his age

#2 Caribou

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

I wouldn’t bother. Are you needing it for days out? I’d go over to the long life milk section in that case and get the popper size ones.

#3 Caribou

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

DS has about 360-480 mls of formula a day. he’s 12m I’m about to switch to cows milk. This in in conjunction with solids.

The fluid intake depends entirely on your baby. Just let the weight be a guide to you. If they’re healthy then don’t worry too much about how much milk he has. Just alsommake sure you include water if you can.

#4 MrsG2

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

I guess sometimes he prefers milk to solids (although he doesn’t have issues eating he just likes it better). The formula is mainly for childcare - but I recon l will try out fresh milk

#5 kerilyntaryn

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

They say 200mls at 12 months is ok,  as long as they are having an equivilent to 1 slice of cheese and 200 mls of yoghurt

#6 redchick

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

When my boys were babies they were BF then formula but once they turned one they started on cows milk. There was lots of info then that said that toddler milk was a marketing thing for the formula companies to make money. I can’t remember what the recommendations were for the amount of milk/dairy to have but I do remember that after a certain age solids not milk should be the primary source of nutrients and that too much milk can stop kids eating enough regular food.

Sorry not much info for you but hopefully some good questions to asked an MCHN.

#7 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:28 PM

What redchick said.

The reason formula exists is because of an inability to breast feed an infant.

babies over 12 months are incorporating increasing amounts of real food into their diet and don't need this 'extra' unless of course they're under medical supervision for malnourishment.

#8 MrsG2

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

I think I need to talk to a baby nutritionist if it exists. I’m so lost as to how much of each food/milk etc to feed DS...

#9 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

I gave both my little boys the stage 3 formula. Main reason was we had staph infections a lot in my house and the gp advised it for the extra bits in it. Second reason I wasn’t worried too much if they skipped a solid dinner they just had the formula.

#10 Kafkaesque

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

Go see your Child Health Nurse. But http://m.raisingchil...tml/context/225 has good information.

In short though from 12 months they don’t need formula.

#11 Wonderstruck

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:19 PM

Our dietician said by 12 months aim to have 400-600mls max formula or milk a day.

My bub is 14 months and we are currently down from 600mls to 500ish at the moment and looking to drop to 400mls being a morning and night bottle.

I’d move to cows milk slowly from the current formula rather than buy a new one.

My daughter is currently on a prescription toddler formula only because it’s her main calcium source (she can’t have dairy or soy products at all) and the only reason we changed from the infant to toddler one was the calcium content for the amount she drinks and we are reducing the amount she drinks.

If he eats well cows milk should be fine (and he can get plenty of calcium from cheese and yoghurt etc)

#12 Jingleflea

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:41 PM

You can get calcium from other sources than just dairy though.

If he eats a wide variety of foods he doesn't need that much cow's milk or formula.

From memory calcium is in mandarins, broccoli, almonds, all sorts of things!

DD never took to cow's milk(at 8 still doesn't drink much of it) but she loved cheese. And i made sure she ate as many veggies as I could get into her.

#13 MrsG2

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

I know he drinks a lot (2x 200ml bottles and 1x150ml) but the issue is he loves milk and wants it even if he’s stuffed with solids 😕

#14 afterlaughter

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:37 PM

I used stage 3 formula for a while purely as a convenience to me. Powdered Milk didn’t get guzzled by my husband leaving us without for my daughter. Once I had him better trained to buy more when running low I swapped to cows milk.

#15 Caribou

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:39 PM

View PostMrsG2, on 23 April 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

I know he drinks a lot (2x 200ml bottles and 1x150ml) but the issue is he loves milk and wants it even if he’s stuffed with solids 😕

I’d work on reducing that amount slowly. Take it down 20-30mls a time. It may be you can keep the bottle number, just reduce the intake.

Your MCHN will be able to advise how best to do this.

#16 Paddlepop

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:42 PM

View PostAnon100, on 23 April 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

The reason formula exists is because of an inability to breast feed an infant.

babies over 12 months are incorporating increasing amounts of real food into their diet and don't need this 'extra' unless of course they're under medical supervision for malnourishment.

No. Inability of either the mother or baby to breastfeed, or the mother's choice to not breastfeed.

Some babies are fussy eaters or difficult with their eating. My DD was. She stayed on stage 2 formula well beyond 12 months because her diet wasn't wide and varied enough. She wasn't malnourished but she probably would have suffered if she wasn't being supplemented by formula.

If a baby is eating a wide and varied diet, and a good amount of solids, then cow's milk and water instead of formula will be fine. The way I view it though is that no one bats an eyelid (on EB anyway) at babies being breastfed multiple times a day beyond 12 months but for some reason there's a big push for formula fed babies to stop formula bang on 12 months. It makes no sense to me.

#17 Wonderstruck

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:05 AM

Good point Paddle Pop! I do get annoyed at the post 12 month formula judgment but not the same for BF.

You also make a good point as generally stage 2 formula is probably a better choice as they tend not to load it with sweeteners and other things as they do with toddler milk.

Thankfully our prescription toddler formula just has a different nutrient blend and no extras.

#18 Caribou

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostWonderstruck, on 24 April 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

Good point Paddle Pop! I do get annoyed at the post 12 month formula judgment but not the same for BF.

You also make a good point as generally stage 2 formula is probably a better choice as they tend not to load it with sweeteners and other things as they do with toddler milk.

Thankfully our prescription toddler formula just has a different nutrient blend and no extras.

Toddler milk? I’ve never seen this. Or are you referring to stage 3 formula?

#19 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

View PostCaribou, on 24 April 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

Toddler milk? I’ve never seen this. Or are you referring to stage 3 formula?

Stage 3 states toddler milk on most of the tins.

#20 tassiekiwi

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

My niece was a very fussy eater who did not eat very much nor a variety of foods, so she had toddler milk (stage  3) till she was about 18 months old, just to get the extra nutrients, proteins etc. that were missing in her diet.

#21 MrsG2

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

I think the sweeteners are in stage 4 formulas (toddler milk drinks), at least for A2 formula which I give DS. That being said , I think I’ll keep him on stage 2 just for his night bottle and move to cows milk in his morning and afternoon bottle. I’ll cut the quantities in the morning and afternoon bottle since he has solids... I hope he’s amenable. The kid loves his milk. That being said , he’s not overweight or anything , 75%tile for height and weight so I reckon he’s ok ...

#22 Oriental lily

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

It’s not really the formula that is frowned on post 12 months , but the overuse of bottles . Excessive bottle use in to the toddler years is associated with tooth decay . So the push is to get them of bottles and get calcium intake from dairy sources other than formula , cows milk,cheese yogurt ect . That’s why extended breast feeding is considered differently , they child draws the nipple past the teeth so does not ‘pool around the teeth’.

Formula companies though market themselves as children needing copious amounts of milky drinks past babyhood as a ‘back up’ for their nutritional intake . Often in bottles .

Op I would try and swap bottles to sippy cups as the first thing to weaning . From there I would move to cows milk unless babies solids intake is really insufficient.

#23 Hini

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:06 AM

I agree with PP. Swap from bottles to sippy cups and offer cows milk about 30 minutes after each meal. We have always done a savoury course then plain greek yoghurt with fruit so they have two courses before they get to the milk.

My kids are nearly 3 and nearly 5 and still have a cup of milk before bed.

#24 MrsP2014

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

i found this useful

https://www.choice.c...-marketing-spin

formula companies are now making formula for school aged kids, preying on parents fears of not getting enough or "making great kids" as some of the tag lines go. its crazy, as long as your child is having a balanced diet they'll be fine.

in terms of moving forward, i would continue on your current formula type and either cut back gradually or begin swapping some bottles to cows milk of thats what you'd like to do. their are no rules of what you have to do, they don't "need" cows milk or formula after 12 months.

as other posters have suggested perhaps try sip cups or remember to brush bubs teeth post milk before having a snooze.

#25 Lou-bags

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

View PostWonderstruck, on 24 April 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

Um really? I have breastfed two babies past 12mo now and I can assure you that judgment is widespread. People are VERY uncomfortable with women breastfeeding older babies and toddlers. Our society has very specific ideas about how a woman should feed her baby (something like bf for 6mo then you should move to bottles and don’t BF past 12 or you’re gross and your child is too attached etc etc) and judges anyone who deviates harshly. I really wish it didn’t have to be a competition for who receives the most judgment all the time- there are no winners.

OP my DSs went to cows milk for their daycare bottles at 17mo and 12mo respectively- but they were both still BFing so I had the added reassurance of knowing they were getting good nutrition there.

Like PPs have said, formula after 12mo is not necessary in the absense of medical concerns but I know many parents like the reassurance of the extra nutrition especially if their kids don’t eat broad diets (because as I said I felt the same about BF past 12mo).

If bottles are the concern you could start making the switch to a sippy cup of some description?

If it’s a sleep association my feeling is start to break that association sooner than later. I am truly regretting not night weaning my 19mo earlier as he gets more reliant on feeding to fall back asleep as time goes on. You think I’d have learnt from no1!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.