Due in January 2019 chat #1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#126 jodes_w

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

Hi everyone! I am 5 weeks tomorrow (I think). I have now done 3 tests haha so its a definite positive! We have a 19 month old daughter and this is our second pregnancy and baby. I'm so excited!!! I have made an appointment to get bloods etc on Wednesday, then I'll see what my GP says and hopefully get a dating scan. Does everyone do those? Sorry I'm a bit late to the forum so you are most likely sick of all these questions! With my first pregnancy i wasn't sure on my cycle or last period dates etc, but this time I have been tracking for a few months. Do you count your weeks from the first day of your last period? Or from the date conceived? I've seen it done both ways so now I'm all confused. Strange what you forget considering I was going through this all not that long ago really! At the moment My due date is sitting around Jan 31/ Feb 1, so I may have to switch groups when the Feb one becomes active.

#127 Tizzy

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

Newseason I'm right there with you on hating the first part of pregnancy I can't wait to my my first scan done so I know everything will be ok. I had good blood last week so will get another set done this week to get me through to my scan at the end of next week.

Budgie I'll be going a private hospital this time if all goes well for a lot of reasons (age, previous ashermans and losses etc) plus the obvious at the local public hospital is the one who created my scarring so don't want him near my vagina again.

Babygame 3 under 3! You're going to be very busy :)

Jones I count weeks from af since I O around mid cycle.

#128 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

I have always had my weeks counted from first day of my last period and thata how my midwifes and docs have always done it.

I have completely gone off food. Except sweets. I have been trying to plan out the weeks meals for 2 days and its been so hard. The idea of food is just bleaugh

#129 newseason

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

I’ll be going private. I did with my first two and enjoyed having the same dr at appointments and liked a longer time in hospital when bubs arrived. I’m with bupa and it all went well :)
Jodes I used an online due date calendar to work it out for me ;) but it’s from the first day of your last period

#130 BabyGame

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

We will probably be going private as I have done this with my other pregnancies and always had great experiences and I may as well as use my PHI for something lol. I am with medibank

#131 Procrastinating

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

I was with bupa until recently, went private with both kids. I switched to HCF this year because bupa are being difficult with doctors’ fees and gap payments, imitating the American health care system. My dr friends recommended it. Even with private health insurance it’s expensive to go private, most OBs charge a “booking fee” around week 30 which was between $4k- $5k for each pregnancy, not covered by health insurance. Still worth it to me, the continuity and standard of care is not something I will compromise on. Each to their own though!

#132 MsLaurie

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

I’ll be going public, as I like the GP Shared Care model, and that isn’t compatible with an obstetrician. I used that last time and was very happy.
I was more than ready to go home not quite 48 hours after birth, I like my own sheets and pillows!! I honestly would have been happy to go home only a few hours afterward if they would have let me :)

#133 gogoface

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

View PostDDC81, on 28 May 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

most OBs charge a “booking fee” around week 30 which was between $4k- $5k for each pregnancy, not covered by health insurance. Still worth it to me, the continuity and standard of care is not something I will compromise on. Each to their own though!

woah! My OB's management fee is only $1800

#134 Burgie

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

Yep I've been researching. Everyone I have rung charge about $5k that is payable way before the birth. I'm wondering what on earth for? Bupa has good in hospital cover, and will pay for c-section, SCN etc. I was mostly considering it because I thought I might have to go to Sunshine, which seemed ok, but they are incredibly busy.

I just found out I am zoned to the Royal Women's. That's where I'd end up anyway if I have a complication anyway with PHI.  

I think I'll put that money towards an aircon unit, because I have none. Heavily pregnant in summer. ... blergh.

View Postgogoface, on 28 May 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

woah! My OB's management fee is only $1800

That is very reasonable. What city?

Edited by Burgie, 28 May 2018 - 01:16 PM.

#135 Canberragirl1990

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

I’m going private. The large fee (called the “planning and management fee”) you can only get a rebate through Medicare that is capped at $536. My obs fee is about $4k I think. It’s to cover their private medical indemnity insurance (they aren’t covered by the hospital) in case anything happens and a pt takes them to court etc. also for running a private practice. They don’t get any funding from government/Medicare.

Totally worth it I think. Even though it’s my first babe and I have no health complications, ive worked in both public and private maternity. I want that piece of mind having one obs looking after me :-)

Same here cinnamon- I have 0 appetite. Hubby is being good and reminding me to snack small when I can. It’s good having a reminder so I get something in me. Not feel long sick or nauseous though (yet!)

The count down is on for me - 2 weeks until my scan! 😁😁

#136 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

I'm another going public. This is my third baby and I will likely be going home less than 24 hours after bubs arrives. Thats whay we did last time. I really liked it because my oldest was having huge anxiety and we got to do his usual bedtime routine and all of that to show him that everything was going to be ok. Downside was I didn't sleep well the night before being induced, the night of being induced and the one night on hospital after DD was born. Then I didn't sleep for the next 18 months until she weaned haha.

I have blessedly had easy low risk pregnancies so public care has always worked well. And I'm zoned for my preferred hospital this time which is great.

I have hurt my back and can't take anything for it. And DD is insisting on being carried. Ugh

#137 Burgie

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

Are you a nurse CG?

#138 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Nope. Stay at home mum.

Haha. Sorry. Tired. Wasn't paying attention

Edited by cinnamonnutmeg, 28 May 2018 - 02:27 PM.

#139 Canberragirl1990

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

Nope, in admin. I’ve worked in public hospitals before and now in private practice as a practice manager. So I’m all over the health fund side of things lol. Not so much the medical though. Have had lots of friends had babies Over the past couple of years and just made my decision that way. A few on both sides pub/pri. I’ve got the insurance and am paying big bucks so might as well use it :-)

#140 MrsT2018

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

Gee u ladies are lucky. I wish i had no appetite! If i get hungry i feel sick so all i do is eat. I'm sure people will think we're having triplets😂

I cant remember how long i was in our public hospital with my last since he was born almost 11 yrs ago but i think we stay about 2-3 nights.

Cinnamon not sure I'd be ready within 24 hours?

#141 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

To be honest the after care for my second birth was poor. The nurses were overworked and under staffed. The hospital is aging and its affecting patients. The person next to me was calling for a nurse for an hour. Her bell was broken. I pressed mine so my nurse could get hers. Thank god it was nothing serious. I was desperate to get home.

I am not going back to that hospital this time.

Edited by cinnamonnutmeg, 28 May 2018 - 02:30 PM.

#142 magalee

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

View PostHappyMrsT, on 28 May 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Gee u ladies are lucky. I wish i had no appetite! If i get hungry i feel sick so all i do is eat. I'm sure people will think we're having triplets

This is me too HappyMrsT!!  I feel sick but I am craving carbs to keep my tummy full and to 'quash' the nasuea.  My pants are already tight :omg:

I'm going private, my OB charges around $4k last bub 5 years ago I paid $3200.  I'm excited though as we have a new private hospital near me and its lovely, the one I went to for my son is no longer used.

Seeing my OB on Friday and I'll be 8 weeks 5 days.  This is sooooo much earlier than my last OB who didn't want to see anyone until after their NT scan at 12 weeks.  After a missed miscarriage 2 years ago I am pleased to see someone sooner rather than later!

#143 Procrastinating

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

I go to prince of Wales private and last time (baby #2) I got discharged after the first day to spend the remaining 3/4 days at their “external maternity ward” at the Crowne plaza at Coogee. It was phenomenal. Double king size suite with room service instead of hospital food. Highly recommend ;)

#144 MapleBaconE

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:15 PM

We are planning on public. We are zoned for the hospital where neonatal emergencies get sent so I'm confident we will be ok there.
Anyone suffer from anxiety here? Mines been flaring up this week and I think it's due to all the hormones

#145 Procrastinating

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

🙋🏻‍♀️ Anxiety and depression, managed with medication. Yep pregnancy hormones definitely cause havoc, the anxiety of early pregnancy is awful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.