Pain relief after c section - not working?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hummingbird82

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:12 AM

I had my second c section yesterday morning ( last waa seven years ago). I'm concerned that the pain medication I'm being given doesn't seem to be helping much.

I don't know if this is relevant but after surgery I felt great until 1 or 2pm when I felt hot, feverish and clammy. Around this time I started getting really bad shaking that I couldn't control and the midwives seemed concerned about my lack of urine output in my catheter bag. By then I had drunk at least 3 700ml bottles of water as I was very thirsty from fasting and the procedure etc. There was a very small amount of urine in the bag.

An hour or so later I suddenly realised I was busting for the toilet. I think the spinal had worn off. The midwives tried to make the catheter work but in the end we decided to remove the catheter and I would try and wee on the toilet. I managed to do a long wee and instantly felt better - the shaking stopped and I just felt good :-)

Since then, I have been having regularl pain killers - tramadol, endone and some slow release painkillers too.

What's concerning me is that it doesn't feel like they are doing an awful lot at all and I buzzed the nurse again about half an hour ago and she couldn't give me anything else for twenty minutes as I had had so much.

I am also having pain in my chest and back when I breathe and it's not shallow breathing.

This is nothing like my experience with my previous c section where I didn't feel any/much pain at all.

Sorry for the esasy - this may be normal but something doesn't feel right. Does anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

Thank you :-)

#2 Hummingbird82

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:15 AM

I forgot to mention that the second time I did a wee on the toilet it was bright red. Could have been vaginal bleeding but may also be from my bladder?

#3 livingos

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:43 AM

Congratualtions!!  
I hope the meds are kicking in and you are feeling better.
Did They check your temperature? Listen to your breathing?
Sorry no real advice but you must be feeling rubbish and worried posting at this time. Hope you can enjoy bub soon.

#4 Hummingbird82

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:15 AM

Thank you livingos. Yes they have checked my temp etc and all looking good. They took blood to look for an infection and that was fine too. They haven't listened to my breathing but it is less painful now I'm sitting up more upright.

I do feel pretty rubbish but hopping this passes soon and I can fully appreciate our new baby girl!

#5 MoonPie

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

I'm sorry you feel rubbish. Make sure you tell your Ob, and ask for another pain relief option next time they see you. Your midwife can also call your Ob for another option.

Changing the angle of your bed at regular intervals also helps change the pressure on your wound and can relieve some of the pain.

Try and pass some wind also.

If the chest and back pain gets worse make sure you ring your call bell again.

Enjoy that baby.

#6 Caribou

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

Could it be the side effects from spinal? I had werid side effects from spinal, and Caesar’s do hurt, more so if you don’t move much. Move often but nothing strenuous. I had a 5yr gap between my two Caesars, it hurt more but at the same time, I recovered faster. Keep on letting midwives abs OB know if you’re feeling unwell, if you’re unhappy with their answer, make them explain WHY they feel you’re ok. You are entitled to know why they’re not concerned what will they do if the discomfort continues. Don’t let them fob you off, until you are comfortable with their answer and plan for your discomfort.

#7 TrixieBelden

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:14 AM

I would tell the midwife you’re having chest pain when breathing in and ask that they arrange for you to be reviewed by the doctor covering the ward ASAP.

Also if you are still in significant pain after all available analgesia then a doctor needs to be told so that more/different analgesia can be charted. What’s eneough for one person may not be enough for another and fhats ok.

#8 Manicmum

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:24 AM

Demand the doctor.

#9 Lallalla

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

Yes make a big fuss and get the doctor back! Endone does diddly squat for me. When I had my 1st c-section I felt like I had knives going into me within hours of my c-section so they doubled the dose and then I couldn’t sit up (my GP FIL can’t believe they gave me so much of it instead of changing meds, it was enough to knock a man twice my size over), they then switched me to trammadil (sp?) which was 100 times better. I believe my birth plan second time around contained 2 lines, the second of which was NO ENDONE!!

Edited to add second time around I had fentonel for first 24 or so hours and then trammadil. But I think there is often a fentonel shortage

Edited by Lallalla, 10 May 2018 - 08:24 AM.

#10 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

The chest and back pain could be trapped gas, I had this after my c-section last year. It was seriously uncomfortable and I couldn’t lay flat, but it passed after a few days. I didn’t have any other pain, however from other surgeries, if your pain relief isn’t cutting it, get a doctor into review it quickly. There are a variety of different pain relief options, of it could indicate something is wrong. Hope you are feeling better soon, and congratulations on your baby!

#11 Hummingbird82

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

Hi everyone, thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions. I am feeling 100 times better this evening than yesterday. I saw my.obstetrician this morning and he was fantastic - I got some different pain meds to try and he told me to go straight to him if I have any pain or symptoms.

I also realised that with my previous c section the nurses were coming to me with new pain meds through the day and night but at the hospital here they want you to ask. As I get confused about what you can take and how often i wasn't asking. By the time I did ask, the pain was really bad. Today I mage made sure to ask regularly if i was eligible for painkillers. I stayed on top of the pain, was up and about without a problem etc.

I think yesterday the pain from my bladder getting fuller on top of the c section meant that I couldn't get on top of the pain. This lead to a really rough day and night. Today has been great and I my wee is yellow and not bright red.

Thanks for all the advice and for sharing your experiences with me. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.