What can "my son" get my wife for mother's day?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 spludgey

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

I want to get my wife a present for her first mother's day and I don't really know what to get. It should be something personalised, but I know that I've left it quite late.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
She's getting her mum a key ring with our son on it, so I don't want it to be too similar...

I thought of a photo shoot, but she hates having her photo taken.

As I said, any ideas would be great.

A spa treatment "I love you mummy, but I think we need some space"?
Good old flowers, but how would that be from our son?

#2 Soho

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

Buy an art canvas, get some paint and put his hand prints on it.

#3 Mollyksy

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

Awww, very sweet. How old is bub? You say first mothers day so I'm guessing less than one. Which is a bit young to be let lose in Kmart (or Bunnings as happened for me last year) to pick a delightful treasure.

I personally love mummy photo frames with pics inside. A spa visit is lovely too. A heartfelt card and/or letter about how much she means to you both and how wonderful a mother she is?

Focus on her. Breakfast in bed. A sleep in or nap. Make her feel special.

All the best!

#4 Lunafreya

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

Have you thought of something very personal? Like a hand prints kit with his hands and feet prints in plaster?

These you can find in gift shops for new babies usually.

#5 my*xmas*kiddies

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

Id go with scribble on a card and a "mummies time out" voucher. Movies. Spa voucher. A day where you take bubs and leave her at home to do as she pleases...

#6 trillian42

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

Some nice, cosy but pretty winter pyjamas, if she likes that kind of thing? And I think for a first mother’s day, flowers are always going to be a win.

If your son is old enough to wield a texta, any marks he can make on a card will be cute.

#7 Lady Gray

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

I second a spa treatment or what about a solo trip to the movies (gold class)?  Make sure to spoil her if you can.  A sleep in and breakfast ready when she wakes up is standard in our house.  Plus a card from both of you telling her what a great mum she is!!

#8 No girls here

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

A spa treatment or gold class movie are great ideas.

#9 red_squirrel

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

I think flowers are great.

For some (but not all) kids there are quite a few years when a vase of flowers isn’t something you can have around. Especially toddlers that love climbing and knocking everything off the table as soon as you turn your back.

So get her a great big bunch of flowers. Just don’t tell her the reasoning.

Edited by red_squirrel, 10 May 2018 - 06:43 PM.

#10 Purple Polka Dots

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

I can't find the link where this was explained well... but I will give explaining it a go myself...

For my first mothers day my husband bought me a bracelet with the monogram initial of my child. I love it. I wear it all the time. Claire Aristides does some. They have a website and instagram page.

The best part of my present though was my 'card book'. So my husband bought an art portfolio book and created a 'double page spread'. This included paint hand prints of our child, photos and 'firsts' from the year. A bit of a highlight reel.

The idea is, that each year he and our child will create a 'spread' in the book instead of buying a card. It will evolve over time as our child gets older - but basically we will get to 20 years and have a memory book for mothers day, rather than individual cards each year. I love it. It's such a special thing to keep.

I hope I explained it well enough.

#11 c4a79

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

Google Mother's Day art ideas or look on Pinterest.  There are heaps of different art ideas where you can use hand or foot prints of the child into a cute picture.  I like those because it shows you've taken some initiative and it's a keepsake of their little feet and hands .

#12 my*xmas*kiddies

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

View PostPurple Polka Dots, on 10 May 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

I can't find the link where this was explained well... but I will give explaining it a go myself...

For my first mothers day my husband bought me a bracelet with the monogram initial of my child. I love it. I wear it all the time. Claire Aristides does some. They have a website and instagram page.

The best part of my present though was my 'card book'. So my husband bought an art portfolio book and created a 'double page spread'. This included paint hand prints of our child, photos and 'firsts' from the year. A bit of a highlight reel.

The idea is, that each year he and our child will create a 'spread' in the book instead of buying a card. It will evolve over time as our child gets older - but basically we will get to 20 years and have a memory book for mothers day, rather than individual cards each year. I love it. It's such a special thing to keep.

I hope I explained it well enough.

I think I love your husband!!

#13 Let-it-go

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

See all I want is an Endota voucher, coffee in bed and an hour to read.  I always love the cute homemade stuff but I don’t have any requirement for complicated, clever, emotional ideas.

But I do live up to my user name.

#14 BBC

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:00 PM

Make breakfast, send her out shopping or to a movie, clean up and cook a casserole or something to heat up for dinner while she is out.

Add a nice card telling her you think she is a great Mum.

#15 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

Massage, facials are always well received. And leave pass from the general shared parenting duties for the day - soooo, coffee in bed...time alone (to enjoy aforementioned facial etc) while he takes kids to the park or other activity - take away or restaurant then him on bedtime duty.

#16 Mands09

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

View PostSoho, on 10 May 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

Buy an art canvas, get some paint and put his hand prints on it.

This! That's all I wanted for Mother's Day and I told my DH but I didn't get it and it broke my heart a little. It's pretty cheap and just a little effort :(

#17 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

A chance for a sleep-in & some time out to feel human is always welcome.

although the suggestion upthread of a book which gets added to each year is brilliant!

#18 Goldenash

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Given it is too late for something too personalised how about a card with your sons handprint (from finger paint) and a massage voucher. Covers all bases. My husband gave me a card with my daughters handprint for my first mother’s day and I have kept it.

#19 just2ofus

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

I would have loved to receive a framed photo taken of me and DS when we are unaware and unposed - something that really shows how much love there is between Mum and child. I’m a single mum so it’ll never happen but something like that to treasure would be priceless to me.

#20 Holly298

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

Jewellery! DH bought me a heart locket with DS baby photo in it - DS often tells people I’m wearing his very first present to me when I wear it

#21 Beanette

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

What about something like this?
http://www.kmart.com...int-kit/1243835

And a voucher for a pedicure or massage

#22 Islander

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

So many lovely ideas.

My husband did a message from our daughter saying “I love you so much Mummy, but I want time with Daddy too” on my first mother’s day. In hindsight I can see how he was trying to give me some much needed time doing something for myself, but at the time I felt really hurt, as if he was implying I didn’t let him have time with our baby. If your wife is as ridiculously sensitive as I was during that first year, the “I need some space” message could be badly interpreted!

I hope the three of you have a gorgeous day!

#23 MissMilla

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

My first mothers day my sister got me something really nice from my son (her god child).
She bought me a charm bracelets and put meaningful charms on it. One was a little boy of course, then there was a heart because he loves me so much, a little house because we just bought one that same year and moved in right before the birth, things like that. There were a whole bunch and she has added a little girl to it when DD was born which was really cute. I wear it quite a lot, its very pretty and makes me happy every time i look at it.

#24 babybug15

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:07 PM

If she's into spa stuff (not all women are), then definately get a voucher for that.

I always appreciate a card and love the footprint/handprint idea that others have suggested.

I think it's lovely that you're thinking about how to make it a special day for your wife.

#25 nom_de_plume

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

I'd love a sleep in and then the chance to drink my coffee and eat my breakfast in peace while I read the Sunday paper uninterrupted. Bliss.

The first year I got a bunch of flowers. The second year DP did make me a special dinner and buy a really nice bottle of wine. Last year I got a gift from the Mother's Day stall at kinder from DD. This year I know DD has made a card at kinder (no stall this year). DP is working and i'm going to my family for dinner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.