5 kg weight loss since birth 6 days ago - baby weighed 4.3kg!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hummingbird82

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

Hi everyone,

I had my DD 6 days ago and weighed myself out of curiosity this morning and I had only lost 5kgs since her birth and she weighed 4.3kg! I was really surprised as I thought between her, the placenta and the amniotic fluid it would be a bit more.

I put on 20kg in total and before pregnancy I was borderline underweight due to good genes and a love of tennis. I'm not too concerned about the remaining 15kg coming off because with my DS I put on 30kg and went back to my original weight within a year or so of having him.

I'm curious if anyone experienced so little weight loss straight after the birth? I'm not breastfeeding and didn't have any excess fluid when I was pregnant.

#2 cvbn

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:14 PM

I didn't lose much and it turned out to be Post Natal PE and a lot of fluid.
Not a great thing to have.

Enjoy your baby.

#3 Reno-chic

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

I had almost the exact same experience. I remember being surprised it wasn’t more at that point but give it time... it will happen. I had a lot of swelling/fluid that took some time to go away.

#4 Caribou

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

I dropped literally 15kilos over 2 weeks post birth. Mind you I had PE and and incredible amount of swelling. I gained nothing during pregnancy so I was surprised to see so much weight loss. My baby was 1.8kilos!

Gained it all back within 2 years! And as for DS I gained 5 kilos, lost 10 kilos and gained back the 5 kilos within the year :p DS was 3.4kilos at birth

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

You weighed yourself after 6 days??

I have no idea only that I started off each pregnancy abut 4kg heavier. My youngest is just turning 9 years old and I am finally back to below my pre-pregnancy weight (actually back to the weight I was in my 20's!)

#6 maryanneK

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

I know what you mean OP (though I was the opposite). I weighed myself when I got home from hospital, so about 4 days, and I'd lost 10kg. 3.5 kg baby plus I guess placenta, fluid etc. I was surprised I'd lost so much so fast, I had put on about 15 kg in total.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

Did you have IV fluid in labour ?

Your body will naturally have 'lost' at least the baby and placental weight so anything you are still carrying will be fluid and of course fat.
You will find soon that you'll spend a couple of days peeing and you'll immediately have lost the fluid portion BUT please don't weigh yourself, give your body a break, it has been though some sh*t.

#8 wallofdodo

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

I weighed myself as well. It was not about my weight per se, it was more a scientific experiment. Baby weighed X so I should have at least lost that amount.

I had put on weight! Turns out I was retaining urine.

#9 Caribou

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

wallofdodo, on 16 May 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

I weighed myself as well. It was not about my weight per se, it was more a scientific experiment. Baby weighed X so I should have at least lost that amount.

I had put on weight! Turns out I was retaining urine.

exactly this. I weighed myself for curiosity. not because I was concerned about how much I put on or lost, just curious.

I don't think it's a bad thing to weigh yourself after birth, just so long as it doesn't impact your mental health.

#10 Claudia Jean

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

Edited by Claudia Jean, 18 June 2019 - 09:37 AM.

#11 Hummingbird82

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences - like many others I was curious to see how much my weight had changed after having my baby and was really surprised to see it was so little. I have the scales in the bathroom and just hopped on them before my shower the other morning.

I have no idea about fluids as I had a c section and am totally clueless!

I've never been on a diet before and don't intend to start now. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

#12 BeStill

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:48 PM

I weighed myself when I got home from hospital out of curiosity and had GAINED 2kg. My son weighed 4kg lol. I’m pretty sure each of my boobs weighed about 4kilos when my milk came in plus I was soooo swollen with fluid. I lost 14kg in the 3 weeks that followed.

#13 imme

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

Your body might be holding on to fluid, particularly because it's been traumatised by surgery.

When I had surgery to remove my tube due to an ectopic pregnancy I had gained 7kg overnight.  They had to put 5L of fluid into me with IV before and after surgery and I was so thirsty I drank another couple of litres as well.  My body held on to most of it for nearly 2 weeks afterwards.

#14 Silverstreak

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

I was the opposite, lost 20 kilos pretty soon after the birth (also had PE and lots of fluid), then put it all back on quickly due to an underactive thyroid after birth!

#15 bluesilk

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:08 PM

Everyone's different. I did lose a lot of weight quickly after birth without doing anything and found that breastfeeding helped hugely for the rest. However, I had friends who didn't lose at all until they stopped feeding - like their bodies were holding onto the excess weight in case or something!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.