Cleaning reusable straws

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Popper

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

Hey EB. Can anyone share how they are cleaning reusable straws? Bottle teat cleaners are too short and wide. I don't want to go back to disposable straws!

#2 Jenflea

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

You can buy special cleaning brushes for them.

I thought they all came with the brushes actually.

#3 Future-self

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

In the dishwasher.
A quick rinse through straight after using them and then into the cutlery basket of the dishwasher. We;ve had our nearlya  year and no problems or brush.

ETA If you want a brush now buy some pipe cleaners. They're not just for craft! Or order a special one like this https://www.biome.co...aw-cleaner.html

Edited by Future-self, 16 May 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#4 mandala

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

There's a reason why we regularly have tantrums over curly reuseable straws... kids are only ever allowed to have water with them, as I just can't get them properly clean!

#5 seayork2002

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:26 PM

We don't use them much but i rinse as soon as finished with then when I do a load of washing leave them in the water first wash everything while they are soaking and then rinse - I have never used a brush etc.

#6 Lesley225

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

I'm only using them for soft drinks so a rinse through in hot water seems to work although I did buy a brush at the same time.

#7 anna_garny

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:54 PM

We use metal ones and they came with a long cleaning brush - but they also go through the dishwasher. We have ten of them and they're great!

#8 marple

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

Where can you buy the metal ones please?

#9 ritten

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

I just use pipecleaners..the kids always seem to end up using any novelty cleaning brushes we get...these are much less exciting for them and work well. I use them for drink bottles as well.

#10 PrincessPeach

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

Biome has them

https://www.biome.co...ss-steel-straws

But I'm sure there are other places - I just know these guys as I've been to their shop in Brisbane.

#11 purpleduck

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

Just the regular craft pipe cleaners. Make sure you dry them out well after so they don’t rust (the pipe cleaners)

#12 hills mum bec

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

View Postmandala, on 16 May 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

There's a reason why we regularly have tantrums over curly reuseable straws... kids are only ever allowed to have water with them, as I just can't get them properly clean!

I put one of the curly straws in the dishwasher once and it came out straight.

#13 Popper

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the tips. We use for smoothies and the dishwasher is not doing the job (visible chunks)! I figured pipecleaners were counter productive to the cause but maybe that is the way to go!  Will have to look into the straw which comes with a brush.

#14 Contrebasse

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

On a side note, why do people use straws in the first place? Isn’t it less hassle to just drink straight out of the glass?

#15 just roses

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

View PostContrebasse, on 17 May 2018 - 09:20 PM, said:

On a side note, why do people use straws in the first place? Isn’t it less hassle to just drink straight out of the glass?
I was just thinking the same thing!

#16 Mooples

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:32 PM

I bought straw cleaners off eBay to clean ds’ sippy cup straws when he has milk in them.

#17 purpleduck

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

I have a water bottle that has a flip top thing and straw attaches on the inside, so reusable, but I'm also very blergh about mould etc, so I like to clean the straw very well :)

#18 Overtherainbow

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

We have a flip cap that screws into our smoothie maker. It makes it easy to drink on the run. No straws required.

#19 Manicmum

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

Lol, my kids are only allowed water in their drink bottles too.

#20 JBH

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:23 PM

If drinking something other than water, using a straw is better for your teeth, as they don’t get continually covered in the drink. And my children just like straws and I am trying to reduce our plastic waste.

#21 kimasa

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

I either put in the dishwasher or I boil the kettle and pour it through before washing.

#22 Ozquoll

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:14 PM

View Posthills mum bec, on 16 May 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

I put one of the curly straws in the dishwasher once and it came out straight.
I don’t know why, but that anecdote has given me a good case of the giggles 😆

#23 Ozquoll

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

I found a pack of mixed size straw/bottle brushes at the local $2 shop, they work fine.

#24 rosie28

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

Straw cleaners are sometimes sold with reusable straws. Or Biome has them, and I think I saw some in Kmart a few weeks ago.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.