Prayer in the Handmaid's Tale

2 replies to this topic

#1 Datrys

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

This blog article floated through my inbox, and I thought some here might be interested: http://www.ethos.org...rayer-in-gilead

I haven't been watching the series (although I studied the book) so can't comment in detail, myself, but found the analysis interesting.

#2 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

Spoiler alert for the most recent episode!!!

In the last episode, a painful and brutal death in the Gilead concentration camp is transformed by a female Rabbi performing a marriage, and then funeral service, for the dying woman and her female love. One character reacts angrily saying, this doesn’t change the reality, dressing it up doesn’t change the fact that this is a slaughterhouse. And the other character says in her childlike way, but cows don’t get married. For me, perhaps the most powerful moment in a brilliant series- then contrasted with a mass arranged marriage of child brides. What makes us human, what can ritual and faith bring to us, what is real?

#3 ContentedFleur

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

That was an amazing article, thank you for linking it!

I was reminded of an analysis of the horrible Left Behind series, where the author (a Christian himself) talked about how even though the authors had tried to keep Jesus out of the narrative (in favour of Manly Men) He kept putting Himself back in- there He was in the person of a bloke helping a distraught woman, there again with a lady who had a soup kitchen going, in random acts of kindness, in comfort offered, there He was.

And watching the Handmaid's Tale- there He is, with Emily caring for her fellow Unwomen, there He is with Janine finding beauty in a flower, there He was with the beautiful marriage of the two women. They keep casting Him out and doing horrendous things in His name, but there He is again. Omar, who provided shelter to the houseless and food to the hungry, has gone straight to Him. Poor June; that death was not on her soul.

I hope that there is Hope again in Handmaid's Tale, and here too.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.