How Much Clothing?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 150watson

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

My daughter just turned 6months old. And as we come in to Winter and the nights get really cold, I wanted to ask the advice of others in regards to keeping bub warm through the night.

She currently has a Bonds wondersuit (perfect for covering and keeping her hands warm) socks and a long sleeved onesie underneath, and then a blanket over her and cotton muslin wrap which is tucked in to stop her rolling.

However, her arms are always up by her head, and I just feel that from her armpits up, doesn't stay warm enough, the blankets cant go too high due to risk of going over her face, so how do I keep that top section and her arms warm enough?

Any ideas? Or do you all use a long sleeve sleeping bag thing?

Thanks in advance :)

#2 Lady Gray

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

I use the purebaby long sleeved sleeping bag.  It is the one with the highest TOG (and they’re currently on sale). We also have a heater on in her room.  It only switches on when the room gets too cold.

ETA- she just wears a bonds onesie as PJs

Edited by Lady Gray, 21 May 2018 - 03:02 PM.

#3 Daffy2016

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

We’re in Canberra so we have a heater to keep her room around 20 degrees. She has a long sleeved singlet and a wondersuit under a 3.5 tog bag and keeps toasty warm. She rolls and wriggles too much for blankets.

#4 tasbooks

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

Wool cardigans (with no buttons to dig in) under sleeveless wool sleeping bags

#5 Lou-bags

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

My boys slept in a log sleeved onesie (wondersuit style), flannelette pjs and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag on the colder nights.

I’d adjust the layers depending on temperature in their room. So sometimes they’d just have the pj top but no pants. Or the pjs but no wondersuit.

The sleeping bag manufacturer websites have some good guides for what to dress your baby in depending on the room temperature.

Go by how warm the torso is (comfortably warm, not cool nor clammy) not the extremities. Plus, if they sleep, and stay asleep, it’s a pretty good sign they’re comfortable (caveat being that you have to be a bit more careful with a newborn- but you’ve an older baby).

#6 Lunafreya

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:54 PM

Bonds sleeping bag is amazing and so warm.

#7 Mooples

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

Mine would wear a singlet, zippy, pjs then a 2.5/3.5 tog ergopouch sleep suit, the ones with long sleeves and the legs that could be zipped into 2, he got too tangled in a sleeping bag style.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

Day time I was told one layer more than we would wear, night (in the UK) a singlet, onesie and a 2.5tog sleeping bag.

here in winter I would do the same but in summer no sleeping bag on on 40+degree nights just a singlet and nappy maybe.

I had it drilled into me do not overheat a baby

#9 BBC

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

I usd a heater to keep the room warm.

Also a light cardigan over the wondersuit to keep the arms warm.

#10 Hands Up

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

At that age a singlet, socks, onesie and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag.

#11 Jenflea

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

If her chest and body are warm, then she's warm enough.

If she's sleeping with her arms up, she's warm enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.