I am doing a KDRB

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#151 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:05 AM

Good luck for the big move. I had to hide boxes under beds as we had photographer coming last Monday. So 90% there, just all the random stuff to go through.

#152 bubskitkat

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:52 AM

Move on Wednesday was extremely exhausting. My asd ds went on his first camp which made it easier.

I have stuff everywhere. I’m following the cleanup rule of every time you go into another room you take something with you.

My Optus internet is not working and my son had a major meltdown on returning from camp. He needs his comfort items. I’ve tried for 8 weeks with their call centre to get it set up.! Hoping it’s done on monday

The sewage and water backed up on Wednesday which turned out to be a plastic bag blocking the sewer pipe. Porter Davis got it fixed and resolved ASAP.

#153 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

Agrh. What a psin over sewer and internet.

Hopefully you are settling in and enjoying your new house now.

Don’t you love that new house smell?

#154 bubskitkat

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:29 AM

My new house smell has been a bit more phew smell.....

Love the house.

#155 Hands Up

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

I’d love to see photos! I’ve been following along without posting much but glad to hear you are both in!

#156 SuburbanPlum

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

Exciting reading. Thanks for sharing your experience bubskitkat and VVA.
A clueless question - could either of you give a ballpark figure of the cost of permits, demolition and site works in Melb, i.e. the portion of the KDRB that isn't the construction of the building? Does it come in under $100k, for example? Your stories have me thinking that perhaps it's the next step for us...

#157 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

View PostSuburbanPlum, on 28 August 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

A clueless question - could either of you give a ballpark figure of the cost of permits, demolition and site works in Melb, i.e. the portion of the KDRB that isn't the construction of the building? Does it come in under $100k, for example? Your stories have me thinking that perhaps it's the next step for us...
We moved in to our KDRB  2 years ago. Site costs were estimated by the builder to be $50,000 and it came out close. Can be higher depending on slope, soil type etc. Demolition $15,000, increase if you have any asbestos. Underground electricity $3000. Permits were a few thousand. Installation of a Legal Point of Discharge for stormwater was $13,000 (the old house was built in the 40s and many old homes are not connected to stormwater).

Don't forget driveway ($17,000) and landscaping ( $23,000 but I would have spent triple if I had the $$). They will trash your site and you will need professional help to fix it.

Check out the Home One Forum. Very helpful indeed.

Also if you are looking at display homes, keep in mind that every home is upgraded significantly on the basic sale price. We upgraded so many things.

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 28 August 2019 - 12:13 PM.

#158 SuburbanPlum

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for the detailed report Fuzzy. Very helpful. The stormwater point is likely relevant for us - 50s house - one I hadn't considered. Asbestos a possibility too. Site is flat but it's clay, which means professional landscaping would be a big but useful expense because it's so hard to work with. Lots to think on!

#159 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

Our build costs were not broken down, plus we didn’t do a full knockdown due to heritage.... we just knocked down 90s extension and basically gutted the original workers cottage.

#160 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:11 PM

The LPOD is something people don't often know about, and so it can be a rude shock that comes up after permits go in. Council should be able to tell you if you have one. Though in our case, we were told we didn't have one years ago and then when it came time to build they tried to tell us we did have one! I've heard of people having much bigger costs too so ours wasn't too bad.

#161 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 28 August 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

The LPOD is something people don't often know about, and so it can be a rude shock that comes up after permits go in. Council should be able to tell you if you have one. Though in our case, we were told we didn't have one years ago and then when it came time to build they tried to tell us we did have one! I've heard of people having much bigger costs too so ours wasn't too bad.

We dont have a stormwater discharge point either, never got put in when they built this place in the 50s.  THis house and bout 5 others on my street. It all just goes into the ground somewhere (our garden is lush, lol).  The LPOD does exist though, technically, it just happens to be on the other side of our neighbours property on an adjacent street.  In theory we are meant to dig up their back yard along the easement, lay a pipe, and discharge to that point. Not gonna happen.  But if we were to rebuild from scratch, they would have to do that, so sorry neighbours!

#162 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

Our LPOD went through our neighbours easement. All costs were on us.

#163 bubskitkat

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:56 PM

View PostSuburbanPlum, on 28 August 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

My demolition was close to $25,000 as I had extensive asbestos to remove. The council asset bond was $4000, underground power pit, $4000. Luckily I didn’t have to worry about the LPOD. The demolition company did the permits as did the builder. The slab I built on needed to be upgraded to a waffle slab. My next part is landscaping and that is about $50000 due to all the concrete and retaining walls. Overall I have stayed within budget. Porter Davis were really good with their contract pricing.

#164 bubskitkat

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

View PostSuburbanPlum, on 28 August 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

Thanks for the detailed report Fuzzy. Very helpful. The stormwater point is likely relevant for us - 50s house - one I hadn't considered. Asbestos a possibility too. Site is flat but it's clay, which means professional landscaping would be a big but useful expense because it's so hard to work with. Lots to think on!

I built on clay with a 1.5 meter drop from back to front. Landscaping is expensive and you need to book your landscaper in 6 months in advance.

#165 bubskitkat

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:03 PM

Your first point to work from is the plan of subdivision from the department of land. This will show you details such as easements ect.

It took me 6 months of looking at display homes to chose. Remember with display homes you are only looking at the layout as the design and interior really do add to the base price. Add an extra $100;000 to their price of the base design.

I had my house valued today and 2 weeks in we are at break even point which means we have not over capitalised.

#166 bubskitkat

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:12 PM

Porter Davis and Metricon both run knock down rebuild seminars which are really helpful for getting information on the process. I found the porter Davis one really good and they gave you a good base knowledge on the process and not too much sales talk.

#167 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

I forgot about the Council Asset Bond! This covers damage that your demolition and build cause to the footpath and crossover. They will destroy the crossover and parts of the footpath. You have to pay for it all to be fixed and then you get the bond back.

#168 SuburbanPlum

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

Excellent advice, thank you all. And thanks for sharing so willingly.

#169 bubskitkat

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Today we met with the landscaper to discuss concrete and landscaping. It’s starting again.

#170 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:40 PM

You can do it!

#171 bubskitkat

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:24 AM

Landscaping and front fence is now decided on. Starts in 2 weeks right in time for concreting to hit school holidays.

#172 can'tstayaway

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

Perfect. The kids can make handprints and initial the wet concrete 😁

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.