Amount of food and bottles?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Daffy2016

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

DD is 8mo and has been having bits and pieces of solids since she was about 4.5mo. At the moment she’s having solids for breakfast and dinner, and sometimes lunch. The amount varies from a few mouthfuls to a meal (she’ll eat a whole pouch of fruit purée but less if it’s homemade). I give her a mix of purees and mush, as well a chunks of whatever we’re eating. Not much of the chunks go in but I figure it’s good practice.

However, she’s still eating five bottles of formula and shows no sign of dropping one. In fact, she’s added in an extra one at about 11pm, when she used to sleep through.

Will she naturally swap over to eating more solids or should we make more of an effort to cut down formula? If she doesn’t have her full amount she tends not to eat more solids but will cry for bottles.

It just seems like a huge amount of food overall!

#2 mayahlb

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

Just stick with the formula. While food is important, milk is the main food source for under 1. Some kids don't "click" to solids until older. My oldest wanted very little to do with them until he was about 13 months. We just kept offering. At about 9-10 months I did switch around to food then bottle. Didn't make much difference at all. He was still have 4 big bottles at 13 months old, though I night weaned to water at around 9 months as he didn't need it and was waking for it. He went back to sleeping through after a rough week.

#3 lucky 2

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

How much formula is in each bottle?
An 8 month old is still getting the hang of eating so not great concerns yet.
I'd give her variety and good nutritious foods (ie carbs, proteins and fats) plus milk.
Food is important increasingly over the second 6 months, generally milk is less at baby approaches 12 months as more nutritious food is eaten, milk is less important nutritionally.
Healthy term BF babies are generally able to take a full diet at around 12 months of age, they need the food as their nutritional needs can not be fully met by breast milk as they continue to grow rapidly after 6 months of age.
No different with formula.

#4 AdelTwins

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

DS3 has just changed to 3 bottles and 3 solid meals at 9mo. He's a fantastic eater - toast, weetbix, pasta, minced meat, cheese/rusk sticks and chunks of steamed veg.

Schedule is:
Bottle, breakfast, lunch, bottle, dinner, bottle. Naps are still a work in progress, some days he'll have 3.

Previously the schedule was:
Bottle, breakfast, bottle, lunch, bottle, dinner, bottle. With at least an hour between bottle and the next meal.

I'd try to go to 4 bottles (as above) and if possible make sure she sits with you for all meals. Give her a tray with lots of finger foods and let her go. The next bottle will top her up if she doesn't eat well.

Milk is super important, but you also have to make sure you are giving them time to try solids while not having a tummy full of milk.

Also, make sure she has a sippy cup of water with every meal. We have had great success with the Nuby no spill ones.
https://www.bigw.com...orted/p/479233/

#5 Daffy2016

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

Thanks everyone.

Lucky2, her bottles are 210mls of water before the powder is added, except the one at 11m that’s 150mls. She almost always drinks all of them.

AdelTwins, this is the schedule we pretty much have. If I offer her finger foods she’ll play with them and a little bit will get eaten - it mostly goes in her mouth then gets spat out! If I use a spoon (I fill it then give it to her and she puts it in her mouth) we have more success. She also has water with each meal. I think we’ll try to drop the bottle between breakfast and lunch and see how we go, but she’s definitely hungry for formula if she doesn’t get it!

I should mention she’s a tall girl, 97 percentile for height and about 85th for weight.

#6 lucky 2

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

It's a lot of milk but if you are offering her foods prior to milk and offering her a wide variety of nutritious food, at 8 months you are on your way.
She started food earlier than many babies (ie 4.5 months) considering the average age is "around" 6 months.
If you looked at 6 months as the average start, it's ok to be partially transitioned to food, you still have 4 months to get to 12 months of age, iykwim?
You can experiment, work towards 2-3 meals at 6-8 months and build in snacks from 9-12 months.
Could you talk to your chn about it?

#7 Daffy2016

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Lucky2 - we started her early because she was really interested in food and still is. That’s why we’re a bit confused!

I’ve spoken to the MACH nurses about this at her 6mnth check up, although of course she’s grown a lot since then. Their advice was to leave her to it and it would happen naturally. I just thought we would see a drop off, not an increase, in formula consumption.

#8 MrsG2

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

Are you using stage 2 formula? I know some say it makes no difference but I think it’s meant to keep them fuller for longer. I never used stage 1 (breastfed for six months). Then day weaned DS at six months into stage 2 formula, he was so full he only had four bottles a day (150-200mls) plus boobie at night till he was 8-9months

#9 AdelTwins

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

Given the extra info, I'd probably try the following:

Try a basic pasta. Beef/chicken mince, pumpkin, zucchini, carrot, pasta. San remo make nursery pasta which is tiny little risoni. Gradually increase the texture.

Try some Baby Mum Mum crackers. They have no nutritional value, but break/melt really easily. Ignore the box that says 12m+. Obviously watch her while she's eating.

Drop one scoop of formula from the big bottles (so 180mls of water, not 210mls).

ETA - the mum mum crackers are great for teaching babies to pick up a piece, break off a bit and chew. Then progress to light toasted bread fingers with avocado, etc.
While I make all of DS3's food, I'm not going to be OTT about it. A few crackers won't kill him.

Edited by AdelTwins, 30 May 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#10 AllyK81

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Your baby is still young so I wouldn't stress too much.

I wouldn't give processed 'baby' biscuits. Your DD doesn't need to consuming things with no nutritional value.

I lovingly pureed for DS until he was 14 months old. I wish I had been more relaxed!

DD just got some of whatever we were eating on her high chair tray (provided it wasn't a choking hazard) and we let her explore food on her own. She was very interested in it early (like your DD), but she was interested in it as a toy rather than to eat, which is fine.

She slowly started eating more and food had well and truly taken over by the time she was about 14 months. She is veracious eater at 2! Will try ANYTHING. Her favourite foods are oysters and olives. I am sure it is at least partly to do with never really giving her 'baby' food and exposing her to a wide range of tastes and textures early.

DS on the flip side is terribly fussy.

At 9 months she was on 3 meals a day, morning b/f and evening b/f (so I have no idea of the volume she drank) with 2 110ml bottles of ebm during the day. She still fed twice overnight at 9 months. She is on the smaller side though.

Hope that helps - enjoy your baby!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.